Kick drum (cajon) - condenser damage?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:22 pm

chconnor wrote:Wild. I suppose the logical next question is whether the lower sensitivity (if it's also true for the 535) results in higher tolerance of SPL... if the two main sources of potential damage are the smacking-against-the-capsule-boundaries and more general high-SPL-distorting-the-diaphragm, are these risks lessened (or even enhanced) by such a change...
I'd have to look it up to be sure, but my understanding of it is that reducing the phantom power does result in higher tolerance of SPL, primarily from less actual current flowing through the capacitor formed by the diaphragm & backplate, and that the overall frequency response is reduced. The risk of distorting the diaphragm (stretching) from constant pressure is still there.
And the 'fixed charge' thing refers to electret condensers vs. 'true' condensers. So the 535 doesn't use that method but the 414 does. And it's a very interesting thing too because the tone of the mic does change. If you have mics that work that way, try recording a little something without the pad, then pad the mic -10dB and turn the preamp up 10dB to make up the difference and record again. It seems it should be a zero-sum game, but it's usually a bit different.

-Jeremy

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

Further FYI

Post by chconnor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:12 pm

Here's another response from the AKG tech regarding the max SPL issue:
Ok, so this also means that using the attenuation pad will not affect the max SPL, right?
Correct, it just reduces the output level.
...although I suppose there's a good chance the tech is just simplifying the answer and not mentioning subtle effects the changed voltage may have on the effective max SPL... Either way I'll be using the pad and I'm excited than I can safely try using the mic. Thanks again for the help. -c

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

I am no mic technician but I really think the danger, if any, is of physically tearing or stretching the diaphragm. A change in voltage won't affect those physical characteristics, but I guess if the two plates in the capsule and touch, they could cause a short and the lower voltage would potentially be less harmful than the higher one. But really, best to just take care and listen to the mic to ensure it's not dying, and you'll be fine. The pad comes *post-capsule* and really is only there to stop the mic *preamp* from overloading.

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

Post by chconnor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:48 pm

A-Barr wrote:I am no mic technician but I really think the danger, if any, is of physically tearing or stretching the diaphragm. A change in voltage won't affect those physical characteristics ..[snip].. The pad comes *post-capsule* and really is only there to stop the mic *preamp* from overloading.
Yeah, at this point I'm going with the "if it does alter the physical characteristics as the Prof theorizes it may, great, if not, that's OK, the mic can probably handle the SPL, and I'm going to use the pad either way" philosophy. (Hard to imagine a circumstance that would have enough SPL to potentially damage the mic not inspiring the use of the pad...)

Cool,
-c