A good reel to reel for Tape Delay?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

A good reel to reel for Tape Delay?

Post by Lost on side » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:48 pm

I wanna use a reel to reel for tape delay, and wonder what are some good models (cheep) to pursue. Is there an advantage to using a machine with more than 2 tracks? Can I just use a small portable type? What features should I look for?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:59 pm

YOu might get cool results using one that is not so good...

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Anything with 3 heads will work. If it's got varispeed even better. Even a 3 head cassette deck sounds cool.

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:48 pm

junkshop wrote:Anything with 3 heads will work. If it's got varispeed even better. Even a 3 head cassette deck sounds cool.
those are the only two rules.

1. Anything with 3 heads
2. If it's got varispeed, give yourself a pat on the back.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:54 pm

the velour fog wrote:
junkshop wrote:Anything with 3 heads will work. If it's got varispeed even better. Even a 3 head cassette deck sounds cool.
those are the only two rules.

1. Anything with 3 heads
2. If it's got varispeed, give yourself a pat on the back.
all truth.

Also, if the machine uses AC motors, you can use a variac to get even more precise with the timing of the slap. usually if you find something with 7.5 and 15 IPS (since we are talking cheap, maybe no 30ips) but then with the variac you can make your own vari-speed. Even a light dimmer would do the trick. poorly, with tons of wow and flutter, but that is what makes it chorus a little, and makes tape slap awesome. With a console, you can use the aux on the return channel that is sending to the tape machine for more repeats... to " feed back" the delayed signal to the tape machine... sound familiar? yes, like a delay unit. you can get some incredibly awesome selay tails this way, as the repeats dont get 50 million times louder than the original if you run it hot to begin with, which why wouldnt you run your tape slap really hot? less noise in the mix, more HF squeeze... all the goodness.

Have fun. Get anything with 3 heads and get fun.

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanx for the info. I have used this technique before on my friends Otari 5050?, but wondered if I could get a nice effect from some of the portable units I see all the time. Using a variac, now that's a great idea! It really increases my options.
I am just starting to build up a home studio, and really want to have real tape delay.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:36 pm

i'd say unless you're really die over doing the varispeed route, why not just space echo it?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Varispeed is definitely important to me, and those Space Echos would cost a bit more than a small reel to reel