A ESOTERIC TELECASTER QUESTION FOR THE TRUELY HARDCORE

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nestle
re-cappin' neve

A ESOTERIC TELECASTER QUESTION FOR THE TRUELY HARDCORE

Post by nestle » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:00 pm

I've got a minor beef going on with an ebay sale.
I bought Tele pots for my 76' restoration project. I think this whole original pots thing is retarded but thats neither here nor there, I just want to get it back to stock for future resale and I'm pretty close.
Anyway, it was a last minute thing literally so I got hasty and when I opened up my tele to check I noticed that the dates, numbers were on the side of the pot with the one original pot I do have. I check another sale and sure enough the same deal on the side not on the top. The guy swears they are the same for P bass / tele and I'm sure the value is but cosmetically they are very different. The pots he was selling were from a P bass and the tops are smooth with the numbers on the top not side

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=002

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=005

here are 2 examples the one I bought and a sale of an original 76' with pots exposed. Am I right or wrong about this?
These were a pricey indulgence and it should be right doncha think? Help me out here guys so I have some ammo to come back at him with.

grahamed
audio school graduate

Post by grahamed » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:50 am

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

The key to this is that you were hasty and bid on/bought the pots without confirming they were what you need. That isn't grounds for returning an item.

Seems to me that you sould chalk it up to experience, resell them and get what you really wanted even if you end up taking a bit of a loss on them.

The ONLY way you would have a leg to stand on is if Fender NEVER used those type of pots in teles and therefore the seller misrepresented the item.

As long as the seller didn't misrepresent the item the responsibility/fault is in your lap, not the seller's. He/she shouldn't have to take them back because you changed your mind or didn't do your research ahead of time.

Of course this is only my opinion.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 am

linus wrote:The key to this is that you were hasty and bid on/bought the pots without confirming they were what you need. That isn't grounds for returning an item.

Seems to me that you sould chalk it up to experience, resell them and get what you really wanted even if you end up taking a bit of a loss on them.

The ONLY way you would have a leg to stand on is if Fender NEVER used those type of pots in teles and therefore the seller misrepresented the item.

As long as the seller didn't misrepresent the item the responsibility/fault is in your lap, not the seller's. He/she shouldn't have to take them back because you changed your mind or didn't do your research ahead of time.

Of course this is only my opinion.

I do agree, and let me add. I did say after the auction that I would honor the auction because yes I had been hasty, but the seller was all "OK we can work this out" but now he's back pedaling and saying they were used in 76 Teles. I will eat these pots with mayonaise if they were EVER put in a 76' tele.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:00 pm

resell and move on...
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:59 pm

oldguitars wrote:resell and move on...
Yep, don't think about this for a single minute more