Van Halen Clocking Error Live!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 pm

I can't believe I actually did this, since I don't really care that much about VH, but I played the video in question at the same time as another version (from Toronto) and they sync up exactly, tempo-wise. And the keyboards seem to be in tune. That would support the idea that they are using a backing track, or else some sort of click. On that other page, people who claim to have "inside information" say that they are using an offstage keyboard player, but then lots of people claim lots of things on the internets.
But anyway, I think we can dispose of the "clocking error" theory.

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:27 am

as eddie was going on stage, he looked at the kid running the keyboard rig, and said "you're fired bitch!", and this is the resulting audio-visual experience.

as for the bands that use "augmentation": it's your paid job to be heard and seen playing good music. *playing* good music. do what you have to do to make this happen with the band that's on stage. ...or just don't show up. there's another band waiting in the wings to impress us... ...just like you used to do.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 am

lharless wrote:as for the bands that use "augmentation": it's your paid job to be heard and seen playing good music. *playing* good music.
No, it's their job to put on a good show.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:32 am

It's actually their job to attract the correct demographic (people over the age of 40) who will pay $29 for a t-shirt after paying much more than that for a ticket. Whatever shiny objects they use as lures onstage (including DLR, the ultimate living shiny object), the ultimate goal is to sell tickets and t-shirts and keep the old hits in syndication on classic rock radio stations.

What actually happens onstage is relatively irrelevant.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:35 am

which is the same job Christina Aguilera and Madonna have, just for diffferent demographics.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/