Davisound DS-1950

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Garage
audio school graduate

Davisound DS-1950

Post by The Garage » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:59 pm

My Davisound DS-1950 microphone is at a friend's studio, but I should be getting it back pretty soon. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

I have to be honest -- I bought it because it was one of the most unique and beautiful looking microphones I'd ever seen. In fact, if the damn thing sounded like crap, I'd still keep it as an art piece.

So, has anyone ever use one of these? And if so, what's it good at?

More info here: http://www.davisound.com/1950.html

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:37 pm

I have had one for a bunch of years now. I love it. It sounds like a mic in a birdhouse. It has a really amazing resonant peaky-ness that makes it sound incredibly "vintage" but still pretty hi-fi. I use it for unique vocals and unique drum sounds... As a room mic, or as a mono overhead I have used it for some cool, "old" sounding funk drums type of thing. I have also mic'd up guitar cabinets and really added some low mid greatness to a scoopy princeton reverb or other amp like that... Totally fun. Oh, and on a leslie cabinet with a touch of drive from some old tube thingy, it can be INCREDIBLE. adds a nice low mid thing to cello and violin as well, or acoustic guitar. COupled with a more "normal" microphone of any type... like even a 57 or something, the 1950 can be really, really cool on many sources.

I am listed as being a user of these mics, and all of my quotes are either from this messageboard, used with my permission, or emails I sent that were then repreinted with my permission on their website. I am not an endorsed user of these things, I just like them a lot. I also came up with the idea for the TB2 "custom." the first one was made for me as a custom order, and they then started offering that model. I love that box as well.
have fun!
tell hayne I say hello if you talk to him! Best customer service from that place EVER. really, really cool. I had a pot go down on my TB2 and they are totally taking care of me.They also made me a custom case for my 1950 that would travel better than the beautiful glass top case they usually make. I got one that is rock solid, made of nice thick wood.

The Garage
audio school graduate

Post by The Garage » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:23 pm

I really look forward to putting it through its paces. How often do you use the Davisound? It sounds like it is a very unique sounding microphone that might not work on a lot of sources.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:48 pm

The Garage wrote:I really look forward to putting it through its paces. How often do you use the Davisound? It sounds like it is a very unique sounding microphone that might not work on a lot of sources.
I have an "unfair" number of microphones, so pretty much any of my more "flavor" mics only get pulled out for specific jobs. I pretty much just leave a U67, a U47, an M269, and an M49 or two up on stands all the time, but then use a bunch of other stuff for color...

The davis makes it to the record more times than you woul think, given all the crazy choices I have these days.

The Garage
audio school graduate

Post by The Garage » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:08 pm

Joel, thank you for the wonderful feedback. I'm very excited to put the Davisound through its paces.