Nakamichi Casette Decks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mc437
pushin' record

Nakamichi Casette Decks

Post by mc437 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:34 pm

I found a store with two Nakamichi decks locally. They have a 700 for $150, and a 1000 II for $400. I believe both are in good working condition-cosmetically they are great. I've heard Nakamichi's are really nice machines. Are these reasonable prices?

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Not to sound sarcastic but.... It's a cassette deck. Granted, in 1988 a Nak was the one to own due to S/N ratio and low wow & flutter. But nowadays we have CD burners built into our computers and so forth.

Unless of course you're trying to pull stuff off of your old cassettes and transfer them into our 21st century, in which case the one for $150 ought to do quite nicely.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:57 pm

The Nakamichis aren't the most robust things in the world (mine's in the shop again right now), but they sound freaking awesome. I've had mine for like 12 years and I've always loved the way it sounded. It has some really great features as well.

If you're willing to spend that kind of money on a cassette deck, then I'd say they're worth it. I don't know the difference in those two particular ones.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:54 pm

I love my Nakamichi deck. Has come in very handy for some delicate transfer work.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:23 pm

e.maynard wrote:Not to sound sarcastic but.... It's a cassette deck. Granted, in 1988 a Nak was the one to own due to S/N ratio and low wow & flutter. But nowadays we have CD burners built into our computers and so forth.

Unless of course you're trying to pull stuff off of your old cassettes and transfer them into our 21st century, in which case the one for $150 ought to do quite nicely.
or unless you like the sound of a nice sounding cassette recorder..and need to archive your recordings for the long haul..

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:53 pm

Way overpriced in my opinion.

I've owned 8 Nakamichi cassette decks since about 1983. Most of them have died and weren't worth fixing--mostly due to failed idler wheels. (Fixing a cassette deck costs more than buying a replacement!)

I have three working Naks in my collection now: an LX-5, a DR-2, and a CR-3. All were purchased for less than $100 on eBay. The latter two are in truly mint condition and came with original packaging and materials.

BTW, have you visited www.naks.com?

And who was it at the first TapeOpCon that said cassettes are like roaches? They'll be around forever, and they'll survive a nuclear blast.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:48 pm

The Nakamichi Dragon was a beast. The MR-1s were laughably bad.

These should be $35 or less anywhere.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:05 am

The Nak MR-2 I had sounded awesome with tapes made in other decks, and sounded awesome with tapes made with it. Where it fell apart was in making tapes and playing them in other decks; always really disappointing.

I sold it and got one of these after hearing it at another studio...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-3-Head-Hi-Fi-S ... dZViewItem

Nice 3 head deck...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:55 am

scott anthony wrote:The Nak MR-2 I had sounded awesome with tapes made in other decks, and sounded awesome with tapes made with it. Where it fell apart was in making tapes and playing them in other decks; always really disappointing.
That was always the thing with Nak decks, something about the heads meant that tapes made on them would never translate to other decks.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:12 am

Wouldn't a Tascam or Teac be a better long-term purchase? More robust?