A 57 on the grill....yeah right !!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mcRack
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcRack » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:52 pm

msmith wrote:I have got to say, and not to be a jerk, but to be brutally honest...If you can not make a 57 sound good and usable, you should probably find a new line of work...Really. It may not be the best mic, but it freaking works. Ive used em on everything, and it always delivers a usable result. Sure, theres a reason why we have a lot of different microphones at my studio, but any respectable engineer should be able to get a great sound out of a well placed 57 on a good source. Period. Really. I would spend more time thinking of my source and my placement, then of whether to use a 57 or a 58...I know that is not the point of this thread, but I felt it necessary to say this....Thank you.
I`m not aiming for a average good guitar sound,i`m going for a smashing great guitar sound !! I had to work with what i got and the guitar ended up sounding FREAKING GREAT !!!! My main problem was that the source sounded amazingly good and i had a hard time to do it justice. I`ll post some clips when the album is done and you`ll be the judge :)
only time `ll help,it`s a pain in the ... right now but, i know i`ll get there soon enough :)

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:30 am

i can't get into the 57 for guitars either. it's useable, but i much prefer my Shinybox, or an SM7, or 441 (or a combination). i think the high-end in 57's kind of sucks. not very smooth, fizzy, honky, almost always needs EQing, etc. i do like 57's for drums. i'm going to grab on of the AMI transformers for mine and hope that that'll improve it significantly.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:32 am

None of you people know what you're talking about. I get all my advice from this guy:
http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/rec ... o-mics.htm
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:22 am

"It's 20-20 on each end." :roll:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:55 am

vvv wrote:"It's 20-20 on each end." :roll:
haha that was amazing.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:56 am

"This is the Newman U87 $3000 dollar vocal mic"

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:07 pm

weatherbox wrote: The SM7 is for me the mic that fits the "always works" description. I think I could do a record with nothing but SM7s and totally love it.
+1

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:45 pm

This dude is great. He's like the Stone Cold Steve Austin of tracking.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:27 pm

I still don't buy the "great sounding jcm800" part of the story.
I like 57's.

Spoonie
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Spoonie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:22 am

None of you people know what you're talking about. I get all my advice from this guy:
http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/rec ... o-mics.htm

Am I alone here when I say that guy gives me the creeps, what was that shrieking noise he made?

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:03 pm

msmith wrote:I have got to say, and not to be a jerk, but to be brutally honest...If you can not make a 57 sound good and usable, you should probably find a new line of work...Really. It may not be the best mic, but it freaking works. Ive used em on everything, and it always delivers a usable result. Sure, theres a reason why we have a lot of different microphones at my studio, but any respectable engineer should be able to get a great sound out of a well placed 57 on a good source. Period. Really. I would spend more time thinking of my source and my placement, then of whether to use a 57 or a 58...I know that is not the point of this thread, but I felt it necessary to say this....Thank you.
Tough love, but I agree as well. I have a TON of other dynamics from just about all of the EV RE series to the big guns like MD421, M88, RE20, MD441, SM7, etc. I still use my 57s on snare top, guitar amps and toms. Sure, I'll sometimes use the 201 if I want the snare shell, or the 421's on the floor toms, or possibly any of the above on guitar amps if I'm looking for something particular. But, for most of the time, the 57 does it all just fine.

m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:43 pm

I had a guy the other day who wanted to do something different to one of his guitar tracks so we ended up running the guitar back out into one of those little micro marshall things and sticking that inside a shoebox with an Audix i5 and a PM1000. I have to admit it sounded way better than I thought it would and it added what he was looking for.
+1 on guitars and the PM1000. I love that thing. If anyone wants a Chinese 57 knockoff I've got 4 of them.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:13 pm

Sorry, off topic, sorta. It's great how it turns into a rant after you can see his little twitch when he says "One hundred dollars."

http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/rec ... system.htm

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:26 pm

I like how he pronounces "neve" like "neve campbell."

And he doesn't know what Protools HD is called even though he "worked with it for seven years"

That's some bush-league psyche-out shit. Laughable man. Hahahahaha

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

not reading the whole thing

Post by rpmsongs » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:22 am

my 2 cents:
i hadn't used a 57 on a guitar amp for years, till recently. i just moved into a new studio. for some reason, the 57 works there. maybe because it's in a much larger room, not some little closet, and for some reason, with the same recording chain i'm using so much less gear to get the sound i'm looking for. is it a new 57. some people say they start to sound weird over time. i haven't done a shoot out yet with a new vs. old 57.
but, i just put it directly on the cone, about a thumbs distance from the grill. hope that helps.
what kind of jcm 800, and what kind of music? boogie? that sounds like something a music man or little fender would be great for.