bouncing tracks do you lose fidelity?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:09 pm

I'll have none of that with a side of nothing at all. Smells great! Can you put cranberry sauce on it?
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

mcRack
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcRack » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:14 am

If you bounce it to 16 bit you`ll loose fidelity !
only time `ll help,it`s a pain in the ... right now but, i know i`ll get there soon enough :)

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:36 am

If I remember it correctly I think I've read something on digidesign's website, that in PT the playback during bounce to disc could sound different to your actual mix and this is what lets people assume that the mix will sound different after it's been bounced. It had to do with latency compensation not working during the bouncing process or something like that. So what you hear during bouncing is not what you get once it's bounced.
I don't know if it's true or if it's the same with other DAWs.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:44 am

Max wrote:If I remember it correctly I think I've read something on digidesign's website, that in PT the playback during bounce to disc could sound different to your actual mix and this is what lets people assume that the mix will sound different after it's been bounced. It had to do with latency compensation not working during the bouncing process or something like that. So what you hear during bouncing is not what you get once it's bounced.
I don't know if it's true or if it's the same with other DAWs.
wow, if true then that sounds like yet another reason to not use PT.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:20 am

Max wrote:I don't know if it's true or if it's the same with other DAWs.
Definitely not true of most modern DAWs.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:36 am

All I know is I definitely can hear a difference in bounced mixes from logic vs. coming AES out of the logic master faders to my masterlink..it's a difference I can't live with..

I suggest trying it..if you can hear a difference that bothers you work around it..if there is no significant difference..well then do what is faster or more easy..

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:04 pm

"All I know is I definitely can hear a difference in bounced mixes from logic vs. coming AES out of the logic master faders to my masterlink..it's a difference I can't live with.."

can you explain more in depth what you are doing? got any pics. would love to see what you are doing.
thanks

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:48 pm

versuviusx wrote:"All I know is I definitely can hear a difference in bounced mixes from logic vs. coming AES out of the logic master faders to my masterlink..it's a difference I can't live with.."

can you explain more in depth what you are doing? got any pics. would love to see what you are doing.
thanks
Pictures!?!?

I use logic 7.something on a graphite g4 mac os 10 something..installed in the mac is a Lynx AES16 card..that is 16 digital AES ins and 16 AES outs..the ins are connected to the AES outs of my converters db technologies 4496 (aka Lavry Blue)..the AES 16 Out 1 (L&R) comes from Logic's main stereo out or master fader and is connected to the AES in on my Alesis Masterlink..the AES out on my masterlink is connected to a Lavry DAC then to my monitoring system..when I want to mix down I hit record on the masterlink and play the logic timeline and that records it to the Masterlink hard drive for sequencing and burning references or masters..

I hear no difference when I do this but I do hear a muddy-fying effect when I had bounced to disk in the past..I haven't bounced in a while but that is what I remember happening..I could be wrong I guess..I never really did extensive testing but I'm pretty sure that was the deal for what ever reason..and that is 1/2 of why I set myself up with the masterlink and AES card..the other 1/2 was the upgrade to the AES only converters..

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:05 pm

Just listen

yr whole image collapses

low end and top end go to blur

If you can get it to sound great bounced, then all you need is a decent set of converters.....

you would be suprised how many INDUSTRY people actually USE the bounced mixes for Finals to be sent to Mastering.....im gonna puke right now just thinking about it

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:24 pm

squizo wrote:Just listen

yr whole image collapses

low end and top end go to blur
c'mon.

if that's the case then your DAW sucks.

if the bounce isn't identical then your shit is broken. it's pretty simple.

i was bouncing a ton of stuff the other night, i thought of this thread and checked the bounces against the original tracks, they nulled perfectly. nothing on the meters at all. -144.

save your bounces as 32 bit float and spend your time worrying about, uh, anything else.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:09 pm

I can't believe that after years and years of this debate it's still going on.

Simple Test.

Bounce to Disk.

Real Time Record.

Line them up.

Flip phase.

Hear anything?

There's your answer. Proceed forward from that point and if you are kind enough, please post the results.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Signalflow
audio school graduate

Post by Signalflow » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:16 pm

I was told a while back that there may have been some loss when using "bounce to disk". I never knew if it was true but ever since then I got in the habit of doing my own bounce by recording my 2 mix down to a stereo track and just grabbing the actual file from the audio files folder inside the session folder. I don't know if this makes any difference, it's just habit.

Of course, if i'm running it out onto a board, I'll just use a rosetta back into protools via AES.
"Wow, this EQ is amazing!"
"It might be more amazing if you take it out of bypass"

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:34 pm

ipressrecord wrote:I can't believe that after years and years of this debate it's still going on.
yeah. i think that a million years ago, when everything was all 16 bit, the bouncing issue was a real concern. but nowadays? c'mon.