Mbox 2 Micro YEAH RIGHT!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:00 pm

yeah but who would want to use protools just for the software instruments? That's the facade they used to cover their true intentions...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:07 pm

micyourbrain wrote:yeah but who would want to use protools just for the software instruments? That's the facade they used to cover their true intentions...
Ce qui???
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:23 pm

seems like a great product for people who just want to edit on a laptop away from the studio. I really can't see the expense being a big deal to ANYONE who this product is aimed at. If you think that it costs too much, then I'd bet that you don't even need it.

this product isn't an 'entry' to PT. It's for people who work in pro tools, but would like to be able to edit away from their main rig. Wasn't Larry just asking for something like this in a recent End Rant?

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:35 pm

Your frustrations should be that Digi isn't offering the micro without the software to those that already own Pro Tools LE.
Exactly. It is obvious that this is for people who already own another PT rig. What good does a dongle/stereo output do for someone just getting into PT? Little Johnny's gonna make some great records on his brand new PT rig....oh wait....HE CAN'T RECORD ANYTHING. Unless he wants to make superr hott beatzz with all his virtual instruments. All ONE of them that comes with this. LdVox, BGV's 1, 2 AND 3 are all out of the question on Johnny's new epik rekkid, but that worked fine for Yanni, right?

Point: Most who would want this wouldn't need the software (unless you have HD and need LE for the laptop). Should be a discount for those who just need the dongle. I will hold off purchasing on the chance I will find one in between some couch cushions in the near future. Hopefully along with some M&M's and a couple of Dorito corners.

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:50 pm

What you seem to forget when asking for a cheap dongle without the software is that it would be a way to bypass Digidesign's copy protection.
You could just get a cheap USB dongle, install your buddy's PT LE on your laptop and head to the beach to do your editing.
This way Digidesign can make sure that anyone who's using their software has to pay at least $250 for it.
Just a thought.

scottiedoo
gettin' sounds

Post by scottiedoo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:17 pm

Max wrote:What you seem to forget when asking for a cheap dongle without the software is that it would be a way to bypass Digidesign's copy protection.
You could just get a cheap USB dongle, install your buddy's PT LE on your laptop and head to the beach to do your editing.
This way Digidesign can make sure that anyone who's using their software has to pay at least $250 for it.
Just a thought.
yeah... but how many times should you have to pay for the software... this micro thing is such a cock tease.. NOBODY who has a clue would buy this if they're just getting into PT.. this is aimed at current users... and they just wanna charge me for their software again.. this should be free/very cheap if you already own a PT interface.. $250!!!! that's taking Digidesign's bullshit to a whole new level... first the 003 now this... logic here I come!!!!

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:29 pm

Also, it only does 44.1kHz and 48kHz... so if you record at 88kHz + on your LE or HD system, oh well.

I can see picking this up in order to move sessions from DP to PTLE. But I can also just stem stuff and line up at zero and move it that way and save $250.

I'm sure that someone will purchase this thing.
Last edited by Jeff White on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:36 pm

scottiedoo wrote: NOBODY who has a clue would buy this if they're just getting into PT...
Well, not really. Let's assume you had a clue and in addition to that you had DP, Logic or Cubase to record your stuff. With a cheap dongle you could have PT as well.
I know it sucks to pay for it again but just the thought that I could sit here in my kitchen and do drum edits, or prepare sessions without having to get into my car to drive to the studio where my PT interface is makes me really want one.
I think the price for the music production tool kit for LE is more ludicrous.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:12 pm

For 50 bucks more, I'd rather get a mini. 50 bucks for inputs, outputs and a 1/4" headphone jack. Then you'd be able to do simple stereo remote recording as well without having to derack your 00X.

250 just seems silly to me. $100, less so.

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:35 pm

I guess you're right. I've seen new minis for about $280. They can be had from ebay for less than 200 bucks and they work on beaches as well.
Considering the price of it, the more I think about this micro thing, the more it seems to be just a gimmick.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:50 pm

Max wrote:What you seem to forget when asking for a cheap dongle without the software is that it would be a way to bypass Digidesign's copy protection.
Just a thought.
Seeing as how you ahve to register your software the first time, seems like they could just sell it to registered protools owners for a nominal charge.

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:03 pm

...and the registered PT users could just buy it for their buddies and pass the low price on or sell it on ebay.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:22 pm

make it a rebate.

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:10 pm

ImageImage

There's my version of the 'MBox 2 Micro' that i've been using for the past year or so to do my editing on the go. I obviously stole the idea from the Gear Geek column in TapeOp from a while back and i've been super happy ever since. Sounds pretty good and let's me do up to 96k. In fact, I've been handed 96k sessions done on LE and HD systems and have never had a problem opening them. This little rig has definitely saved my ass more than a few times. Like just the other day, I got asked to do some last minute edits between a day job and a night session I had. There was no time to head home so I just got me a table at a near-by library and banged out the edits there.

If you're already a PT M-Powered user - like I am - after seeing it in Tape Op, this "micro "rig was a no-brainer. The Transit is about $80 and the mini usb hub plus cables only cost me about $20. $100 to be totally mobile ... I can do that. All slammed together with velcro this thing is still only 1/2 the size of the MBox 2 Mini and weighs next to nothing. I've thrown it in my bag in the morning and forgotten that it's there by the end of the day.

Even if I were an LE user, at $350 for the Transit plus M-Powered versus $250 for the MBox 2 Micro, I'd at least consider it. The Transit does up to 96k, has an 1/8" line/optical in for recording if ever needed and even has an optical out which I don't think I'll ever use.

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:16 am

Now you've done it. :shock: