Studer B67 II

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:57 pm

I don't think I can get down to York, unfortunately...but I have a couple of web links and a service manual.

I do need to decide whether I'm doing NAB or IEC before I get an MRL though. Geoff says IEC is better...and there is supposed to be a jumper or something in this machine to set it at one or the other?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:22 pm

Here's somebody's handy little video about the machine...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rPZ_AsoT9lw

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:38 am

inverseroom wrote:I do need to decide whether I'm doing NAB or IEC before I get an MRL though. Geoff says IEC is better...and there is supposed to be a jumper or something in this machine to set it at one or the other?
OK, I got the thing open, and the jumpers are in fact for either NAB or CCIR. Is CCIR the same as IEC?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:18 am

I've a .pdf Manual for this. E-mail me at thirdmonkrecords@sbcglobal.net and I'll pop a copy in the mail to you. It's too large to upload.

I do all the calibration myself. A college I teach at has a 15 ips MRL that I check the machine with periodically. I re-calibrate regularly. Different tape has different sound. You will notice the difference, but experiment and learn what each tape is good for.

The 911 is very good. The techs and engineers at A & M (back in the 1990's) determined that this was the tape that when making copies, safeties or archiving catalog sounded most like the original source material. A & M was always a yardstick in Los Angeles for judgements like that. I support their decision. Great tape.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks for the offer of the manual! I already downloaded it, printed it, and bound it:

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Rec ... II/Manuals

I think I will indeed try 911 then. What do you have your machine set up for, NAB?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:30 pm

NAB is more common.... CCIR is the European standard, and many american machines do not have eq curves for that that... a good engineer can compensate, but i believe that NAB will be much more 'portable'... i have an NAB 15ips MRL. I line up the 1/4" before every mixing session.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:13 pm

inverseroom wrote:Thanks for the offer of the manual! I already downloaded it, printed it, and bound it:

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Rec ... II/Manuals

I think I will indeed try 911 then. What do you have your machine set up for, NAB?
Thanks for the link! I was just gifted a B67 last month by a client at ye old day gig...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:29 pm

So how is it going with the unit?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:05 pm

I do calibrate my 2-track at the begining of a mix and the 2" gets done at the beg of a project and touched up at the end before I start to mix.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:10 am

Vern Gosnan wrote:So how is it going with the unit?
Crazy week of work, I haven't even put a reel on it yet! I did order some VU bulbs on eBay. I'm going to test out all the record and transport functions today, then order some 911 and MRL when the next paycheck comes...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

inverseroom wrote:
Crazy week of work, I haven't even put a reel on it yet! I did order some VU bulbs on eBay. I'm going to test out all the record and transport functions today, then order some 911 and MRL when the next paycheck comes...
Studer bulbs are notoriously non-resiliant. Plan on replacing those often. Sort of like changing the exit sign bulbs at your studio...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:16 am

Vern Gosnan wrote:
inverseroom wrote:
Studer bulbs are notoriously non-resiliant. Plan on replacing those often. Sort of like changing the exit sign bulbs at your studio...
Can't help but wonder if there's a way to replace them with LED's...but I doubt it...they're 24v AC, correct?

I paid some dude on eBay $5 a bulb. Doesn't seem sustainable.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:04 pm

It's up and running! I had some problems at first getting audio into the thing and thought a channel was dead, but it turned out two of the cables I made had a short in them. Because I was too lazy to test them before plugging them in. :?

I took a demo I did on my 3440, ran it through the Hill, mixed it to the Studer without even the slightest pretense of aligning or calibrating, then played it back through the monitors and it sounded fucking marvelous! All these layers of analog definitely took their toll on the highs so I will have to learn how to EQ for tape. But wow. Wonderful!

Here it is wedged in beside the Wurli. Viva obsolescence!!

Last edited by inverseroom on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:08 pm

BTW the transport is genius. Smooth, solid, no noise, more accurate with the stops than my Teac. Thanks, Willi!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:45 pm

inverseroom wrote:It's up and running! I
Congrats, man! The pic looks awesome.