Let's Talk About Microphone Stands

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:50 pm

For "cheap" stands I've had good luck with Hercules stuff. Heavier duty than your typical 'stage' mike stand, and their clutches actually hold really well.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:56 pm

I definitely second or third the K&M for the low end. Much better than the regular dross at Sam's Ass and the like. I also have a straight up Atlas stand that I use for live shows. I love it because I can put all my weight on it and it doesn't slip, oh and it's chrome. I love chrome stands.

I actually got one of those big honking Atlas stands for free, but it needs the mic adapter. Can you order parts from them?

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:34 am

fwiw I've discovered the DR Pro brand stands sold at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend is actually re-branded K&M...

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:31 am

I currently have been using an AKG boom stand, and I like it a lot. It is very managable and steady. Not sure how much they go for.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:46 am

am I the only one who tapes mics to their guitar stands?

also, sometimes, my dad's old video camera tripod.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:11 am

vsr600 wrote:fwiw I've discovered the DR Pro brand stands sold at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend is actually re-branded K&M...
HA!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!

I've been getting these at GC for almost a year now and thought they were my little discovery! I was reading this thread waiting yo get to the end and post about these!. . .

As far as I could tell, the DR Pro at GC are better than the cheapest K&M stands i've seen. They're about on par with the $70 ones i've seen. I'm always able to talk my local GC pro audio guy down to $50/piece for those. You really can't beat them!
HWJLHC?

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 am

weatherbox wrote:am I the only one who tapes mics to their guitar stands?

also, sometimes, my dad's old video camera tripod.
You, sir, have cahones.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:20 am

we have one of those big chrome atlas boom jammers... that thing is great, but huge. and then we have a ton of various boom stands of varying quality. i want to get a pair of the small latchlakes.... the $450 ones. they are amazing. but a bit pricey for me at this point.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:04 am

A-Barr wrote: You, sir, have cahones.
really, just not enough mic stands. though the tape/guitar stand works way better than the MD421 clip, anyways.

Soundmonkey
gettin' sounds

Post by Soundmonkey » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:15 pm

justinf wrote:As far as the cheap stuff goes, Tama stands are great. Beefy and well-machined just like their drum hardware.
+1
I have 6 of these and they're awesome for the price. Musicians friend used to sell a kit with 3 normal size ones and 2 short ones for about $150 but now they just seem to have them separate:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=450200
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=449037
Still a good deal for $45 though.

Like Track Rat said they have a nice firm clutch that is easy to get tight. My only gripe is they have the small stud with an adapter(european style?) and the adapter always comes off in the mic clip.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:09 am

Soundmonkey wrote:
justinf wrote:As far as the cheap stuff goes, Tama stands are great. Beefy and well-machined just like their drum hardware.
+1
I have 6 of these and they're awesome for the price. Musicians friend used to sell a kit with 3 normal size ones and 2 short ones for about $150 but now they just seem to have them separate:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=450200
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=449037
Still a good deal for $45 though.

Like Track Rat said they have a nice firm clutch that is easy to get tight. My only gripe is they have the small stud with an adapter(european style?) and the adapter always comes off in the mic clip.
+1

Of the mic stands I have, between the DRpro, the Tama, the On-Stage numbers and the Kima :oops: , the Tama stands win, hands down! I bought the first one I had for $60 (yeah, the place was expensive, but I try to boycott Guitar Center whenever I can), and would have paid that much for it again, but the place I got my 2nd and 3rd sold them for $40 each, so I think it's a bargain. They're sturdy and simple.
I'm all about a little kick and snare

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:30 pm

Yeah, these puppies are well-made and affordable too.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:37 pm

weatherbox wrote:
A-Barr wrote: You, sir, have cahones.
really, just not enough mic stands. though the tape/guitar stand works way better than the MD421 clip, anyways.
yep, i've had a few mics taped to guitar stands in many sessions.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:49 pm

I've been a DR Pro fan for about three years now, for tripod boom stands that are actually heavy enough to boom something out without costing the world. I used them a lot for live sound and it's always nice to be able to get somthing decent from GC right before a gig. I'll have to check out Tama stands though, since there's someone out there with both who thinks they're better.

Latch Lake: after I win the lottery.

Todd Wilcox

Edit: After looking at the links to the Tama stands, I can tell one thing I like better about the DR Pros right off the bat: I like the telescoping boom a LOT, especially for small stages or vocal booths. Those Tamas look familiar. Are they lighter than the DR Pros? I like a really heavy stand. Heavier the better!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:16 pm

Where I work most of the time I am short on stands. Or they will only work for specific positions like all the way down, or not extended, or super tall. Or they won't have arms.

The kick drum mic sits on top of a folded blanket in the drum. The guitar amp mic sits on a stack of phone books and sweetwater/staples catalogs. The piano is upright, so I slide the mic on the soundboard of the piano and the protruding thing where it would connect to the stand keeps the mic from falling through. I use 2 SDC mics on the piano like this.

That leaves snare, toms, OH, and vocalist. Vocalist holds his 58, I use 2 OH stands, 2 tom stands, and 1 snare stand. The OH mics usually serve as tom and snare since I rarely have enough stands to do that.

How exactly did we get this bad? cheap ass musiciansfriend mic stand packages.

Avoid those like the plague. Some are ok, but most of them are garbage. Every four months this place is buying new shit. It's retarded.

They've been in business over ten years. If I count all the money they've spent on cheap mic stands so far(I've been over this with the owner), they could have spent $250/stand 10 years ago assuming they never broke and still came out ahead by almost $1000.

Don't cheap out. You'll either pay now or pay later, but if you pay now, at least you'll have cool shit. :D

That being said, I like monk stands the most. They haven't been sold for a long time, but they sold the design to this place in asia since they did very well in the asian market. The stands are amazing, mostly if not all metal. I see some that get used everyday that are over 15 years old that are still fine. If you can find them, they kick ass.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York