Sleeper "color" EQ's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Sleeper "color" EQ's

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:14 pm

We've heard about plenty of cool cheap compressors here--Symetrix, dbx, etc. But not EQ's. Is there an EQ equivalent of, say, the Symetrix 501? I had the Symetrix 2U EQ and it didn't really do much for me. It would be great to find something you could slam a signal into and really get dirty and interesting with.

I've always wanted a Blonder Tongue Audio Baton, because it looks cool, but I have heard that it sounds kind of lousy.

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:33 pm

i've read nice things said about the orban-designed (iirc) dbx 242, other orban eq's and the joemeek vc5 "meequalizer" in that regard, though i have no first hand experience with those. i did briefly have a joemeek vc6q and the eq was pretty dramatic-- i didn't use it much, but i bet it would be cool in certain situations.
________
IOS GAMES
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:01 pm

I'll sell you my Alesis MicroEQ.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Probably not the most efficient in terms of workflow, but when I've wanted some odd eq'ing, I've piped the track through a guitar amp to reamp it, and used the amp's eq section to get wierd. Cranking a tube screamer-esque pedal is a cool way of getting an insane mid bump. Usually done with soft synths where I want some air around the sound anyway.
So yeah, maybe some of your amps laying around have the capacity to be oddball eq's.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:54 pm

B-b-b-but....that would be...FREE! :shock:

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:15 pm

my 'secret weapon' channel strip is the focusrite platinum trakmaster... the original one, not the 'pro'...

the eq is totally cool and wrong, and the compressor is my go-to drum mono buss comp. that's right. you heard me. beats out both 1176's, the LA4, federal, symmetrix, 160s... it rules. i can't even believe that i am telling people about these shitty little channel strips that are amazing for mayhem.

brings out the snap like a 33609. but shittier. with a really wierd eq built in.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:44 pm

Dare I mention the fabled RSEQ?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:00 pm

love it..

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:08 pm

Geoff, what do you actually use that thing for? And did you need to recap/retube?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Beauty&Wonder wrote:Image

love it..
there is one of those at soundhouse here in town.

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:17 pm

i've been looking into cost-friendly outboard EQ too recently and I havent really found anything that seems to get good reviews across the board - like, say, a Pro VLA or RNC would in the cheaper compressor department. to me it looks like "you get what you pay for" really applies when it comes to outboard EQ. And you're usually only getting one channel of EQ too. lately if i know i'm gonna be doing anything besides hi-passing or low-passing, i'll stick to plug-ins.

i've read, though, in older posts on this board that a few people swore by some blackface radioshack eq that cost something like $20 a few years ago. that'd be great if true. i never delved into it, though.

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:04 pm

SoulOfJonas wrote:i've read, though, in older posts on this board that a few people swore by some blackface radioshack eq that cost something like $20 a few years ago. that'd be great if true. i never delved into it, though.

-JV
not that i IN ANY WAY want to get that little debate going again here, but after pouring through that whole thread and doing a lot of searching and researching like a good little chump, i'm about 99% sure that the abovementioned item exists only in our imaginations... where it probably sounds better anyways.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:07 pm

SoulOfJonas wrote:
i've read, though, in older posts on this board that a few people swore by some blackface radioshack eq that cost something like $20 a few years ago. that'd be great if true. i never delved into it, though.
*in my best John Tuturro/Oh Brother Where Art Thou voice*

'Do not pursue the RSEQ! Do not pursue the RSEQ! '

You will lose years of your life scanning the internets for that mythical beast...

...I have read good reviews from reputable sources about the Toft EQ's (despite the recent thread) but at 650/2 channels, those aren't really in the pro vla/rnc/635A/Movieola range of cheap, great gear. Wish they would come out with a 2-channeler without the mic pre's.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:36 pm

The audio baton is cool, but not cheap like I think John is asking...
The EQ on the symetrix 528 made it to a few records I did. The ashly EQ... the big one with two channels, is AWESOME. seriously. Blows away any of the boring orban stuff that I know some people love but I have always, always thought they were crappy. The furman EQ, the green face one with the red knobs is also AWESOME, look closely at the boost/cut knob, it goes all the way down to infinity! You can basically shut off a frequency with that thing. Crazy talk. They sound great as well.
If I didnt have a ton of EQ choices kicking around, I would be looking hard for a furman or that ashly thingy. If you have a 500 series rack, I would be looking at the EQ by purple that is/isnt/is/isnt based on my old custom console that toaster 3000 has now. Four band, inductive coil EQ that is insanely great. all discrete, huge low end. In the low bucj range the furman and the ashly win hands down though, followed close second by the symetrix 528, not the newer 528E or whatever, the 528, with the awesome de-esser/compressor and very cool EQ that goes from 20-20!
Even the mic pre is totally useable on that 528. Every bit as good as a sytek. That 528 was the first "vocal channel" type of thing I ever heard of. I still cant think of one that pre dates it.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Sleeper "color" EQ's

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 pm

inverseroom wrote:I've always wanted a Blonder Tongue Audio Baton, because it looks cool, but I have heard that it sounds kind of lousy.
Yeah, um... they do sound lousy. Don't bid on one if it comes up on ebay. In fact, don't do anything that would drive the price up on these because they're um... they're not worth it. Yeah, that's the ticket.

This question seems to come up every few months. My standard answer is the Ashely SC-66. Those things are really cool and useful. They're SORT of similar in some ways to the old black-face Urei EQs. They'll ring like crazy on certain sources and can be really trashy-sounding at times, but they're ultra-flexible-- fully parametric and each band can be activated individually, which is sort of cool.

I also really like the EQ in the Joemeek stuff like the VC6Q. The midrange is really useful on that and I think they sound pretty good on guitars and such.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC