Indie band has $6 Gs from theri label

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:38 am

A-Barr wrote:it would be hard to make a great diy record without at least a few years of making gradually less and less crummy records first.

My .02
I hope that anyone who gets into this realizes this. When I decided to start investing in gear, I didn't think for a minute that I'd end up with recordings AS GOOD AS what I could get in a studio, right off the bat. I'd hope that anyone who wants to do this sees it as a journey. The fact that the guy already has a laptop, 002 and some mics tells me that he's probably already begun his journey.

They would probably end up with a better sounding record if they just spent that $6000 at a nice studio. But, it sounds like they want to get something more out of this than just the cd at the end. I'd hope that we can all appreciate that.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:07 am

i think we can all appreciate that...i dunno about the crew at GS though.

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:55 am

My first band tried to build a home studio using an even smaller recording advance. Suffice to say, it ended badly (though I ended up with some starter gear for my own tracking work... most of it a bit crappy).

In the realm of alternate ideas... $6000 is 4 days with Steve Albini at Electrical, including enough tape to make a 60-minute record. My last rock band made a nice-sounding record with Steve in *two* days. Thing is, ya gotsta be able to REALLY knock out the songs, and not every band can.

Things to think about.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:35 am

I'm gonna vote for the combo approach. Get basic tracks done in 3 days (at $600 a day, you're burning up $1800 there). The focus here should be on the drums more than anything. While you're there, play around in the studio and find a vocal mic for less than $1500 that really works for the singer. Buy said mic, do vocal and instrument overdubs with it and the other mics on hand.

Really, if you don't need to worry about recording drum tracks, your needs are much simpler.

If when it comes to mixes you feel that you can't get there on your own, you'll have $2000 in reserve to go back to the studio and work on mixes, plus $700 for mastering.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:07 am

i just read the thread on beernuts...you gotta love the people who can't IMAGINE making a decent sounding record for 6 grand. like it's IMPOSSIBLE.

i love people who talk about sounding "professional"...one can assume that the much ballyhooed new springsteen record was recorded/mixed/mastered in only Thee Most professional of settings, and it sure seems the whole world agrees that thing sounds like unlistenable shit.

personally i can't imagine getting 6 grand to do a record...i'd be bathing in champagne and sprinkling cocaine on my cheerios, but i am low budget. i totally appreciate that real/bigger studios have a lot more overhead to contend with...

anyway that kind of money is definitely not gonna buy anyone a whole lotta good gear, but if the band is into doing it, and has some engineering skillz, why the hell not? plenty of other bands have done it successfully, no? loads of people on here have managed to record their own bands in a listenable manner, no? they have michael joly offering to loan them a bunch of mics (which is super cool of him), presumably they probably have friends they can borrow gear off of, and/or have help them out with the engineering...why not?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:23 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i just read the thread on beernuts...you gotta love the people who can't IMAGINE making a decent sounding record for 6 grand. like it's IMPOSSIBLE.

i love people who talk about sounding "professional"...one can assume that the much ballyhooed new springsteen record was recorded/mixed/mastered in only Thee Most professional of settings, and it sure seems the whole world agrees that thing sounds like unlistenable shit.

personally i can't imagine getting 6 grand to do a record...i'd be bathing in champagne and sprinkling cocaine on my cheerios, but i am low budget. i totally appreciate that real/bigger studios have a lot more overhead to contend with...

anyway that kind of money is definitely not gonna buy anyone a whole lotta good gear, but if the band is into doing it, and has some engineering skillz, why the hell not? plenty of other bands have done it successfully, no? loads of people on here have managed to record their own bands in a listenable manner, no? they have michael joly offering to loan them a bunch of mics (which is super cool of him), presumably they probably have friends they can borrow gear off of, and/or have help them out with the engineering...why not?
I'd love to have 5 bands a year be willing to spend $6k on a record. As it sits I get a couple and a bunch of smaller budget things.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:26 am

My favorite bit is the "find another label" stuff, as if getting signed to a(nother) record label is as easy as putting the shirt back on the rack at JC Penney and walking over to Sears.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:36 am

right. like there's just tons of labels hurling loads of cash at bands.

i know loads of really really good bands who are just psyched to have someone putting out their records. they pay for the recording/mix/mastering outta their own pockets....

i also liked the one guy who said something like "is 6g gonna make you a back in black, thriller, blahblah, or any other record that engineers regard as being well recorded?" as if other engineers thinking your record was well recorded was really important.

*pukes a little*

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:47 am

Every time I visit GearSluts I realize how much I like TapeOp and Unicornation.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:53 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:right. like there's just tons of labels hurling loads of cash at bands.

i know loads of really really good bands who are just psyched to have someone putting out their records. they pay for the recording/mix/mastering outta their own pockets....

i also liked the one guy who said something like "is 6g gonna make you a back in black, thriller, blahblah, or any other record that engineers regard as being well recorded?" as if other engineers thinking your record was well recorded was really important.

*pukes a little*
Yeah, and as if the indie label paying 6k is expecting the next "Thriller" or "Aja". I thought it was interesting that it took until page 4 of that thread for someone to mention that the style of music might be a consideration.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:54 am

you get the feeling that a lotta people have never listened to any records that didn't come out on a major label....

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:46 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:you get the feeling that a lotta people have never listened to any records that didn't come out on a major label....
Um, I think that's actually true.

I'd guess that somewhere along the lines of 90% of Americans don't often listen to music that wasn't at least distributed by a major.

...Actually wait, I think that figure might be kinda high.... That would mean the American market for buying purely independent records today is roughly 30 million people. I don't know about that. Let's crunch some numbers...

I can tell you this much: According to the RIAA, there were roughly 614 million full-length CD's sold in 2006, down from a recent high of 949 million in 2000. Downloads of full albums were just around 27 million. (More promisingly, downloads of singles were up to around 586 million though, up from a low in 2000 of "N/A".)

Lets call it 700 million in Album sales for now.... although I don't know if that counts. T What's the market share for all Indie Labels combined? Apparently it's somewhere around 20%. Unfortunately I don't know whether or not this counts albums distributed by majors somewhere along the line, It probably counts labels like Koch, who may as well be majors, and I've read varying figures: anywhere from 15%-30%.

So why don't I think 15-30% of the record buying public regularly listens to Indie records? Well, you average indie music fan doesn't just buy one or two full length indie albums a year, does he? He buys a bunch, right? That tilts the figure toward fewer people buying indie records.

This is just a guess, but I'd say at least 90% of people in America don't really listen to independent records.... and I think that's being very generous.

Just because your world might revolve around indie music, and just because you see more people than ever with shaggy mop-tops, snap-button plaid shirts, and decent sneakers (or whatever it is that you associate with the independent music you're into) , doesn't mean everyone is rushing out to buy the new indie releases. Fashion is a much bigger seller, and it doesn't require that you turn off the television.

Anyway, sure, Gearslutz is a different world, where mixed-up priorities rule, and tons of clueless rich people hang out. That said, not much of the advice there was bad. Some people have absolutely now frame of reference for indie budgets.

So, in there defense, today's record buying public isn't used to listening to records that cost $6k to make. Not that you can't make a killer record with some thought, artistry and planning.

Also, I think John had a crucial and realistic point about making music for a living:
toaster3000 wrote: I am all for DIY, it just doesn't seem like it would be a good way to spend a small amount of money... maybe do overdubs at home, and buy a 57, an m160, and a decent LDC... i dunno. then what happens when you go to mix and the guitar and vocal sounds suck dong? oops....

DIY is great on your own dime, but maybe not so great if you are expected to deliver a product to a label, most likely on a deadline.
john
And remember, at it's upper echelons, the music industry is a playground for the rich. The rich tend to care about money. Don't ever be surprised if your life's work seems insignificant to many and crucial to few.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:51 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:one can assume that the much ballyhooed new springsteen record was recorded/mixed/mastered in only Thee Most professional of settings, and it sure seems the whole world agrees that thing sounds like unlistenable shit.
I quite like it actually

grahamed
audio school graduate

Post by grahamed » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:52 pm

I'd bet anybody who's been given 6 grand to make a record's life DOES revolve around indie music. And that's what we're talking about here.

Nobody here would suggest you can make Thriller for 6 grand.

-Grahame

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:03 pm

fossiltooth wrote:Just because your world revolves around indie music, and just because you see more people than ever with shaggy mop-tops, snap-button plaid shirts and decent sneakers, doesn't mean everyone is rushing out to buy the new indie releases.
well sure. i mean it seems nowadays no one's rushing out to buy ANY releases.

my issue is the same as it was in the ill-fated 15 grand thread: that some of these people come across like The Only Valid Music is stuff that's recorded by professionals in big studios and released on major labels. and that anything else isn't really serious, or doesn't really count. to me, that's the same as saying that Hollywood Blockbusters are the only legit kind of films.

and personally, those aren't the sort of folks i'd want working on my record.