Cheap Fet47

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:09 am

Try an Oktava MK319. To be honest, I prefer the unmodded stock ones from Sound Room. Yes they do sound "boxier" in solo than Oktavamods, but they work better for me in the context of a real mix.

Where's Russ
ass engineer

Post by Where's Russ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:12 am

joel hamilton wrote:I have a really good FET47, and I still wind up with a blue mouse on the front kick once in a while. Either that or an SM7. The SM7 sounds kind of more like the FET47 than the mouse, but the mouse has more punch.
Well I can't afford a blue mouse (yet). But a Sm7...I never thought about that mic. It's a great vocal mic too. Does its job on guitar and bass too. Hmmm..Thanks for the thought Joel!

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:02 am

Is there anything an SM7 won't do well? God, why don't I have one of these yet?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:33 am

Catoogie wrote:Is there anything an SM7 won't do well? God, why don't I have one of these yet?
You could record an incredible record if you had an SM7 and something for overheads.
It will record everything else, im my experience. I have had it up on almost everything, from kick to snare, violin to vocals, hammond to harp, bass, guitar, wurly, you name it. It isnt very good as an overhead though... but it would do it...

Where's Russ
ass engineer

Post by Where's Russ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:29 am

joel hamilton wrote: It isnt very good as an overhead though... but it would do it...
You know, I've actually tried an EV ND868 as a behind the kit mic once. wonderful results...dark cymbals and nice tom definition. Sure it was through a Neve 8058...but still, try it sometime!

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:12 am

The SM7 is probably pretty close to my perfect mic. Works on almost anything, reasonably priced, and won't break down every third thursday. Also will kick in some more 4047 love... in fact, an SM7 in and a 4047 out is a pretty great kick setup.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:31 am

joel hamilton wrote:You could record an incredible record if you had an SM7 and something for overheads.

The SM7 was the overhead mic on REM's "Chronic Town."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:14 am

cgarges wrote:I'm a HUGE FET 47 fan. Not to be a real downer, but there have only ever been three mics that have even come close to reminding me of a real FET 47 and none of them costs $200 or less. But one of them is really, really close to nailing that sound on a kick drum.
Aw c'mon--name some names.

Bear

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:36 pm

cgarges wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:You could record an incredible record if you had an SM7 and something for overheads.

The SM7 was the overhead mic on REM's "Chronic Town."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
See!? That proves my point.

;)

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:07 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but is there a difference between the SM7 and SM7b?
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:55 pm

joel hamilton wrote:See!? That proves my point.
Well, my point is that you don't even need the overheads. Just get a bunch of SM7s.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:01 pm

Bear's Gone Fission wrote:Aw c'mon--name some names.
The absolute closest one to me is the Lawson L47 FET. It works on a wider variety of sources than a FET 47, but it does the same sort of thing. It's got a hefty midrange clarity, a smooth top, and an astounding low-mid character. It's not quite as midrangey as a FET 47, but it's got the same type of "soft" character on instruments.

I actually went to use it on kick today, but decided that a D12E was more appropriate for this particular session.

The other mics that are kind of close are the Blue Mouse and the $900-ish Soundelux mic, The U195, I think. I have far more experience with the Mouse. Both mics have similiar thing to the FET 47, but a little harder character, if that makes any sense. The Mouse in particular has a little bit more of a shine in the top end. I used a Mouse today on a bass amp. It was exactly what I was looking for on this particular session.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

philbone
audio school

Cheap FET for Kick drum

Post by philbone » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:28 am

I was trying this recently comparing a 4047 to a Mojave FET 201. The Mojave was doing pretty good until I tried something I was lent by a friend - a Sterling ST79 !

This is a Guitar Center mic allegedly manufactured for them by MXL, but to a much higher standard than normal MXL.

Go borrow one from GC and check it out - I was BLOWN AWAY on KIK together with a Beta 52. Tight and clear desirable low, punch, no wool, no boxiness and very little comp or EQ required. I am sure that the cheaper ST77 is the same (minus polar patterns) but I have not tried it yet.

Should I feel embarrassed for producing this at my next studio session? It is going in my mic bag no matter where I am going. If you would like sound bites for these two mics I can provide a link..

best

Phil

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:09 pm

Admittedly I have never used a Fet47, but I have used the SM7 and the 4047 A LOT. Both of them sound great on a lot of different sources and are reasonably priced. An SM7 would be at the top of my list for mic locker essentials for any level engineer.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:20 pm

I have never used a fet47, by I just recently bought my very first LDC, a Kel Audio HM-7U. It is supposed to be modeled after the U-47. I got to use it once on kick drum, but i wasn't going after your standard kick sound. I had it set up about 6 feet away through a doorway, and I was playing the drum with marching bass drum mallets.

So, long story short, I haven no experience with the fet47, I have little to no experience with the HM-7U on kick, but if you have a way to check one out, or if someone else on here has gotten to use one, you could look into the HM-7U.

http://www.kelaudio.com/hm7u.html