top3 tape machines

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tubebrain
audio school

top3 tape machines

Post by tubebrain » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi there, this is an opinion-oriented thread, I just wanted to see what you guys think, and what reputations various machines have

so what would you say would be your first 3 choices in category of warmest, smoothest ,sweetest sounding, tape machine:

a) for mastering (2-track, 4-track machines of any tape format)

b) for multi-tracking (2'' machines, 24-track or 16-track)

regardless of cost, and maintenance, just sound

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:38 pm

For 2", I'd say the Ampex MM1200 and later model MCI JH16 "cream top" are the tops sound wise. Many also seem to like the 3M models sounds but they are tougher to get service for from what I understand. Reliability and sound-wise, the Studers seem to be IT. I have no experience with Studers directly, just going on what I've heard. I own a JH16 and it is super good sounding, and maintainence and service are fairly straight forward. I've figured out how to work on mine and was able to sign up for a support service from Steve at Blevins for it. That helped a lot. I'm gonna be sad when I have to get rid of it, but family life is increasingly encroaching on my music time. I've owned an Otari 2 track but I basically never used it so can't comment much on that. I've not had much experience with 2 track analog so maybe someone else can comment. Tape is fun but mostly why would you want to mess with it when digital stuff sounds so good now.
Last edited by getreel on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubebrain
audio school

Post by tubebrain » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks for the input, by the way what do you mean by "cream top"?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:50 pm

I think he was talking about some type of yogurt.

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:59 pm

I think in this day and age, you should be running either a Studer, Otari, or MCI. Everything else is just gonna be trouble. Ive been really happy with my Otari MTR90II. Weve got the 24 and 16 stacks for it...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:51 pm

tubebrain wrote:Thanks for the input, by the way what do you mean by "cream top"?
The color of the deck.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:05 pm

i don't have tons of experience with different tape machines... all i have ever used for multitrack machines are Studers (my A80mk3 or a number of 827s and 820s...) and my experience with 2 track machines is primarily my Studer A810 and Studio G's Otari MTR12, and attending mastering sessions with a nice ATR102 transfer...

this is of course, in the 'pro' field... because i love me some Tascam 388, and still wish I had mine, but this question seemed a bit more sesh.

I guess I don't have the experience to answer this question, though. I would just say that my tape machines are the best for all three because I use them alot and they sound amazing and are solid... (finally had Dan Zellman spend a few hours with the A80)

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:59 pm

Studer A800, CCIR alignment....... any format tape........ that'd be my choice, aside from the occasional ATR 102.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:53 am

The top 3?

Studer, otari, MCI.

Ampex if you're nasty.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:40 am

I'm nasty. Worked on a bunch of decks and my MM1000 is my fav for sound, ever. The 1200s are more reliable I hear. My tech (used to be the east coast service rep 30 years ago) knows of no other working MM1000. I intend to drive it into the ground.

He does have a nicely restored 1200. I wish I could pick it up, but just bought a MCI JH-110C 1/2" with brand new MCI heads. PM me if anyone wants his number.

Studers would be my first choice for multitrack if I was still paying rent engineering...

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:01 pm

scott anthony wrote:I'm nasty. Worked on a bunch of decks and my MM1000 is my fav for sound, ever. The 1200s are more reliable I hear. My tech (used to be the east coast service rep 30 years ago) knows of no other working MM1000. I intend to drive it into the ground.

He does have a nicely restored 1200. I wish I could pick it up, but just bought a MCI JH-110C 1/2" with brand new MCI heads. PM me if anyone wants his number.

Studers would be my first choice for multitrack if I was still paying rent engineering...
Well , I recorded on one here in chicago last month and tobin sprout ( GBV ) has one up in michigan . So there are a FEW around, not many . They sound wonderfull .

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:25 am

scott anthony wrote:I'm nasty. Worked on a bunch of decks and my MM1000 is my fav for sound, ever. The 1200s are more reliable I hear. My tech (used to be the east coast service rep 30 years ago) knows of no other working MM1000. I intend to drive it into the ground.

Right on man. Keep the flame burning for the MM1000. Those ampex multitracks sound great. I also really like the MCI JH10, which is the old 16trk 2" machine. The studer A80 is a great sounding machine. I got an A827 because as you said, "I am paying my [mortgage] with engineering." I am also paying rent and paying an assistant, so my tape machine better work....my assistant needs to eat! ;)

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:28 am

joel hamilton wrote:The studer A80 is a great sounding machine.
We had an A80 Mark III at Dessau; that sounded pretty great. You could parallel park a semi in the gaps left by punches though...
gevermil wrote:tobin sprout ( GBV ) has one up in michigan
They are built like tanks, I'm not surprised. My tech is pretty well traveled in the NY metro area though. I remember seeing pix of the Daptone Ampex 8 track and was wondering exactly what it was...

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:36 am

yeah... punching out is a super party with the A80.... in, no problem... but out... woohoo. FUN.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:39 am

joel hamilton wrote:

The studer A80 is a great sounding machine.
Well, actually, sort of 'loose and bright'. Doesn't have the throatiness of A800 and doesn't have the tightness of an A-827 or A-820. Right for some things, but the 2 db drop off at 50 Hz with 100 Hz at zero is a bit of a shocker.