Turning two compressor stompboxes into a stereo rack unit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:29 pm

"when you look it up, make sure to send me some links"

like i said i'll get it tested and make it all as simple to follow as i can. parts were ordered a while back but with the holiday and shit give me a few days. other stuff on the table right now

vero is the Kleenex? equivalent for stripboard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripboard there is also perf as in perforated or just a board with a bunch of holes and round solder tabs on it so you can make your own layout. its cheap but not as cheap as cardboard : ) or plexi. if i did pcb's they would be cheap as hell though and super easy to build, panel mounted pots and shit, easy to panel mount ( you will only ?need? a front panel not a full case - unless you need shielding ). after i'm finished i'll see how big they will end up being and that will determine the cost. this is a tiny little side project for fun ( and hopefully a cool comp ) not profit. also i want to point out that by the time the design is finished there will only be a very basic similarity to the OS. you will still be able to get the same results if you want but there will be much more you can do as well. i will not just be making a perfect clone, that is not what i'm after and i don't want to just steal the design. not ethical and not necessary.

steven

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:42 am

alright, sorry for the delay i didn't get the fets until thursday and then didn't have time until saturday, spent most of the day on it and some of sunday.

so lets see here....

list of controls: attack, release, threshold, ratio, input volume, output volume and bias controls. the attack range is not as large as i wanted it to be. i spent a lot of time on it, but there wasn't much that could be done. the names used should be considered "loose" terms. they each perform their functions but i tried to keep everything very simple and inexpensive so lets not get too picky here.

also the OS is originally really dark and sluggish so i took the liberty of cleaning it up and getting a much faster reaction out of it. i'm not sure i would call it "transparent" now but in comparison it has a much wider bandwidth. with the way i added the ratio control you can get pretty much the same sound as the old one by just adding in larger caps in parallel to C1 like 100n or 1u for starters. just use toggles to switch them out. with the increased cap values it will slow everything down but in a good way, and higher ratios will then get really dark

wide range of power options (any DC source up to a single +44vdc or +/-22v bipolar depending on the IC you use ) i suggest around 18v DC regulated if you can. i ran the tests at 10vdc (+/-5) and 18vdc (+/-9) and there isn't anything extra you need to do really. so just attach the neg and pos and a power switch and off you go.

my original plan to include a wetness control didn't work out that will with the fet setup ( the half way point fucked with the bias in a bad way ) so i either had to use multiple buffers or drop it, so i dropped it. i also have a fuller version i still want to mess with a little before i post that has the other half other IC used as a make up amp, which is not completely necessary but its there and handy so why not use it so you can smash the shit of everything and keep a nice output level. there is also a proper power supply, a secondary limiting/distortion control, the darkness cap switch, and an led driver i need to mess with

take note that the jfets have odd pin outs in comparison to their symbols so if anyone is trying to build this you will need to follow the little diagram the top right corner or grab the datasheet

if anyone has a some disposable (copyright clear) drum loops or anything they can throw at me i?ll make some samples.

i'm sure i'm forgetting something ....

steven

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:10 pm

Wow, fantastic!!! Thanks for doing this!

Are you planning on drawing up a layout? I'd love to see a pic of your prototype.

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:15 pm

if i did a board it would be super compact, have the extras on the other version, and be double sided so it won't be much help. unless of course there is a really high demand for this version instead.

anyone else can though i don't mind.

steven