Mp3 this, Mp3 that. Is it really that bad?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:37 pm

adam wrote:My only problem with mp3 - and digital in general - is the perception by so many that it is actually superior.

That's definitely something to be bothered by.
the usual digital-bashing aside, i've never met anyone who claims that mp3 is superior.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

adam
ass engineer

Post by adam » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:02 pm

dwlb wrote:
adam wrote:My only problem with mp3 - and digital in general - is the perception by so many that it is actually superior.

the usual digital-bashing aside, i've never met anyone who claims that mp3 is superior.
I have. There's no shortage of people out there who are more than happy to argue about it.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:39 pm

adam wrote:
dwlb wrote:

I have. There's no shortage of people out there who are more than happy to argue about it.
Wow. Okay.

Maybe some of them sound better than cassettes...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:59 am

WHY MP3s rule:

1. i can bring my entire music collection to work
2. moving records and CDs sux
3. i don't have to change CDs flip records
4. i listen to music more cause its easier to turn on/off, keep music going.
5. i buy more music, try more music, cause its cheaper.
6. vinyl artifacts now bug me for some reason

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:07 pm

Just the title of this thread alone kind of makes me sad.

For general, casual, listening... No, it's fine I guess.
But I know somewhere some honcho is pushing some further-down-the-line, smashed to hell, flat sounding, super-tiny file format to become the "New big thing in music consumption" using "Is it really that bad?" as his battle cry. "And you can put 1,000,000,000,000 songs on a device the size of an ovary!!!" He'll say as the money rolls in. "That's more than every human alive today could ever listen to in their whole lives!!!"

The problem I have is that it is soon to be the new STANDARD for music consumption. And somehow we are taking a step backwards. Wouldn't you love to go buy (Yes...BUY!) your favorite bands new record on a nice 24/48K format? We have the technology AND IT IS CHEAP! Well, It isn't going to happen.

Strange conundrum huh? Digital recording technology gets better every day so we can settle for less.

Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

P.S. I really like my new Sansa View! It is fine.

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:00 am

boozle

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:03 am

rushofblood wrote:

boozle
theres a big difference between "mp3" (a lossy compressed format) and "digital in general" (ie 24/44 wav through lavry converters)
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

howdini
audio school graduate

mp3's are great because....

Post by howdini » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:11 pm

....when you compare the same mix on CD/AIFF/WAV your mind gets blowed up!

Groovespace
audio school graduate

Post by Groovespace » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:25 am

I'm 48 and I first listened to vinyl on a handed down Truetone portable turntable in the early 70's. Warm warm warm! Then as a teen ( mid-70's) I inherited the family stereo! It was a "Bradford" (panasonic) and it had two huge speaker cabs and it was all warm and analog and it was gooood.

I got my first cassette recorder and started taping everything! I quickly learned how to mix tapes from the line out of my system and I fell in love with that lovely analog tape warmth. I read about tape and hi-bias principals and I understodd where tape hiss came from. I realised that it was partly responsible for the sound I loved.

I just can't wrap my ears around mp3's like I could good quality tape or vinyl. To me digital sound is too transparent and brittle. The highs just don't seem to have the right dynamics. Too compomised by the algorithms and looses some of it's harmonics. This is where that crazy phasing comes from in lower quality mp3's.

BUT..... I do love my 8gb mp3 player at work or in the car. The portablity and quick access of a vast amount of music outweighs the minor compromise that I can hear in the sound. I save my files at 192 kbps and I'm happy with that.

My preference for really listening to music is still analog. :wink:
If it grooves record it.