Best all around snare for modern rock sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Best all around snare for modern rock sound

Post by bannerj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:07 pm

personally, I really want to get something older...six lugs with more of a splat than a whack. Ideally I could have something that would do both. Here at the school I am mostly doing modern rock...close mics etc.

I'm tired of having to tweak the crap out of the snare. Assuming that I've got my micing techniques and signal chain all in order (I think I do), what would you recommend as the best all around snare. I'd like to spend under $400 so I'm willing to look at something used.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:17 pm

a ludwig acrolyte is a good snare drum... i have a '70's ludwig 'standard' that i found under an empty keg in the basement of the stinger bar years ago with no heads and no strainer... took it, rebuilt it, and it is the best drum in the studio now... most drummers pick it over all of our others and their own.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:23 pm

toaster3000 wrote:a ludwig acrolyte is a good snare drum... i have a '70's ludwig 'standard' that i found under an empty keg in the basement of the stinger bar years ago with no heads and no strainer... took it, rebuilt it, and it is the best drum in the studio now... most drummers pick it over all of our others and their own.

john
How many lugs is that?

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:51 pm

I got curious...http://www.daddys.com/used/?itemnumber=LUD7116 Here's a link to one that's very reasonable.
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:52 pm

i think they're 8 or 10. tough to go wrong with one of those.

what are you not liking about the snare sounds you've been getting? how are you having to tweak the snare to make it work?

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:07 pm

honestly, I'm spoiled the best drum sounds I get are from my drummer and he is sponsored by C&C. I know that it is both the drum and his playing that make the sound. I usually only need a little compression and some high pass. I'm tracking different college students now at the school, and I'd just like to have something standard that I can get to know really well.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:29 pm

i don't really know enough about drums to say 'get a this or a that' aside from the acrolyte...garges and tony do, maybe they'll chime in. but if you have a local drum shop just go in there and check a bunch out, there'll be one that makes you say 'yeah'....

or could you have your drummer hook you up with a deal on a C+C to use at school?

also, tuning-wise, if you want more of a splat than a crack, tune lower and have the snares looser. also depends if the drummer's hitting rimshots or not...

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:33 pm

acrolite and supraphonic are good all-arounders,

I'd say an old 6.5x14 Slingerland Radio King would likely be the "best" all-around. Rimshots that will take your head off

skinsincyn
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by skinsincyn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:37 pm

Acrolyte is 8 lug. Why do you want 6 lugs? I've got a 6-lug '64 Ludwig Pioneer that is really cool for certain things, but you can't hit it too hard. And forget rim shots. 2 of those and it drops a 5th.

For splat, loosen the snares. At first, it'll sound "wrong." But, mic it up and it's cool. You really hear the drum.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:41 pm

on the low-budget tip, an old 6-lug Ludwig Pioneer wood snare can be a great drum with lots of character, and are generally cheap as dirt.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:43 pm

wow, I totally did not see your post. Jinx. :D

I never had tuning stability problems with the pioneer I used to own, BTW. Maybe the trick is to find one with corroded, dirty old lugs that are hard to turn. :D

Or maybe it's just seating the head carefully when you put it on/tune it up.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:10 pm

skinsincyn wrote:Acrolyte is 8 lug. Why do you want 6 lugs? I've got a 6-lug '64 Ludwig Pioneer that is really cool for certain things, but you can't hit it too hard. And forget rim shots. 2 of those and it drops a 5th.

For splat, loosen the snares. At first, it'll sound "wrong." But, mic it up and it's cool. You really hear the drum.
six lugs...I'm assuming won't be a modern sound. It is what I'd like personally my own music, but not what will serve the students I work with. Since it is the school's money, I'm going for a more of an all arounder.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:24 pm

why do you care about the number of lugs? that is kind of like buying a guitar based on how many frets it has...

john

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:27 pm

geesh...I don't care about the lugs except for the fact that I understand that fewer lugs are harder to keep in tune.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:29 pm

ok... i'm confused... you asked for suggestions on a 6 lug snare drum? i just didn't get your first post, i guess.

an old ludwig acrolite is good and cheap... they can be tuned high, they can be tuned low. i have seen ones that are totally trashed and still sound good.

they are loud and easy to tune.

john