digi 001

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

radismatt
pluggin' in mics

digi 001

Post by radismatt » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:31 pm

hello, i have been looking at options for an inexpensive but powerful entry into the world of digital recording. i have been thinking about getting an old 001 and an old computer. here are my questions:
what computer can anyone recommend for the 001? Im looking for an old mac or pc that is cheap that i can use just for the 001.
would i be able to easily hook up a small format mixer(4-8 channels) to the 001 and record multiple tracks?
can the tracks i record with the 001 be easily imported into more recent daws?
is there a more recent interface that may be a better option?
i am looking for a setup that is cheap but flexible.
i already have a standalone digital 8 track.
thanks

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Re: digi 001

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:45 am

radismatt wrote:hello, i have been looking at options for an inexpensive but powerful entry into the world of digital recording. i have been thinking about getting an old 001 and an old computer. here are my questions:
what computer can anyone recommend for the 001? Im looking for an old mac or pc that is cheap that i can use just for the 001.
would i be able to easily hook up a small format mixer(4-8 channels) to the 001 and record multiple tracks?
can the tracks i record with the 001 be easily imported into more recent daws?
is there a more recent interface that may be a better option?
i am looking for a setup that is cheap but flexible.
i already have a standalone digital 8 track.
thanks
I would recommend getting an used Mac G3 desketop and pimp out the Ram, add an extra hard drive, and update it to 10.3.9 (the last version of OS the 001 is compatable with).
You can hook up a mixer in front easily, or you could hook up a cheap 8 channel preamp like an SMPro PR8. You could also get a used Behringer AD8000 and hook up 8 more through the ADAT lightpipe for real cheap.
As far as I know you can import an PT session with other PT based session weather its, LE, TDM, or HD. I swapped session with a guy using an HD3 with no problems. If you just raw WAV files you can use it in DAW, PT or not.

This will be very cheap for DAW. You could easly get this setup for under $1000. This will be more flexible than your 8 track but there are others outside of PT's that might have a few better features, but probably not for this price. I could be wrong though....

iamredarrow
ass engineer

Post by iamredarrow » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I'm about to buy a second one... I think that it might be possible to run both at once, and if so that's 16 natural tracks, plus 16 adat tracks, and 4 spdif tracks... 36 tracks for less that 800$, counting two ADA8000s at 200 apiece. I run a PC; I'm using PT LE 6.4 and I'm running happily on a 2.0 ghz XP pro setup from 2002. If I do upgrade it will be for the sake of plugins.

So I guess, yeah, I think they're an awesome way to go. All your sessions are across the board PT compatible, and like he said, all the .waf or .aiff files can be used with any DAW if you consolidate them.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:09 pm

iamredarrow wrote:I'm about to buy a second one... I think that it might be possible to run both at once.
I didn't think you could do this, and a quick google search confirmed it.
it is only possible to use one Digi 001 per each computer system - it's impossible to run two of them off of the same computer...

However, if you have TWO computers, you can run them together and in sync. It involves installing the PT software on each computer, and then locking the two together with MIDI Time Code and S/PDIF word clock sync. Half your files will wind up on one computer, and half on the other, but you can sync things up and even patch the stereo output of one interface to a stereo input on the other so that you hear everything together. It's a kludge to be sure, but it is "do-able".
Also if you were just using one computer and that was doable, PT 6.4 one lets you use up to 32 virtual tracks at once, so you couldn't do 36 tracks.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:48 pm

i have a digi 001 with the black lion audio mod for sale in buy sell trade. if you are going to get this unit i highly recommend the 001, you won't want to upgrade in a few months like with most other entry level gear.

fyi

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:29 am

To run 2 001's, check this thread;
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=33272

A used 001 with a Berry ADA8000 for 8 more I/O thru ADAT is a great bargain for a starter system with a older WinXP PC. To run PT LE and Digi 001 hardware reliably,you'll need to have a Win XP PC with either a Intel P4 CPU and Intel chipset motherboard, or a AMD Thunderbird/AthlonXP/Sempron CPU with a VIA chipset motherboard; 2 hard drives, 512mb minimum memory. This hardware shouldn't be expensive when purchased used and shouldn't be difficult to find. PT LE 6.1-6.4 will work fine, you can still get 6.4 from Digi. Avoid Intel Celeron CPUs and AMD Duron CPU's.

Newer hardware (fast dual/quad CPUs, PCIexpress vidcard) might work, might cause more problems.

Implement the "tuning tips" found on musicxp.net and running WinXP should work fine.

If you use the 001 with the ADA8000, try clocking the 001 to the ADA8000 thru the ADAT I/O, might sound better, the ADA8000's clock is probably "tighter" than the older 001's internal clock.

I also have a BLA modded 001 with the clock mod + a ADA8000; I slave the ADA8000 to the modded 001 and it works great. The BLA mod is expensive, especially compared to the current used cost of a 001, but it improves the sound of the 001 tremendously.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:41 am

bantam wrote:i have a digi 001 with the black lion audio mod for sale in buy sell trade. if you are going to get this unit i highly recommend the 001, you won't want to upgrade in a few months like with most other entry level gear.

fyi
ive been rocking a BLA modded 001 for about a year now...sounds wonderful, does everything I need.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:50 am

You can get a used Apple 400mhz G4 that will run an 001 great for probably less than $300. I had one for a long time before I upgraded everything. I also recommend the BLA mod. Check out Powermax.com for used macs.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Re: 001

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:19 am

eh91311 wrote:To run 2 001's, check this thread;
But you have two seperate computers going though, right? Unless I wasn't grasping something. If you are only using one computer that would be pretty damn cool.

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:14 am

To run PT LE and Digi 001 hardware reliably,you'll need to have a Win XP PC with either a Intel P4 CPU and Intel chipset motherboard, or a AMD Thunderbird/AthlonXP/Sempron CPU with a VIA chipset motherboard; 2 hard drives, 512mb minimum memory. This hardware shouldn't be expensive when purchased used and shouldn't be difficult to find. PT LE 6.1-6.4 will work fine, you can still get 6.4 from Digi. Avoid Intel Celeron CPUs and AMD Duron CPU's.

Newer hardware (fast dual/quad CPUs, PCIexpress vidcard) might work, might cause more problems.
FOREWARNING: i am not promoting gear or software, and i go into detail later of a heavy session for sake of compatibilty and stabilty of unsupported hardware/software combos.

i've had a trusty 001 for a while (in line for the BLA mod), and cannot complain.
i built the tower that it runs on ($700 back then) with the following specs- (which aside from ram may be the most powerful setup you can get compatibilty wise). I've heard of the AM2 socket AMD processors fucking up with LE 6.4.x (the final version that supports the 001).

MSI K8Neo4
AMD 939 Socket Athlon 64x2 4200+
1 GB Kingston Ram DDR 400 (since upgraded to 2GB dualchannel, can go to 4GB channel; DDR is STILL faster than DDR2)
XP Home stripped down to bones (pro just adds networking crap).
3 W.D. SATA HDD's (since upgraded to 5 HDD's)
256 MB Nvidia 8500 GT Graphics PCIe
Dual-Layer DVD/RW drive
Antec Power supply

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE PACE INTERLOK UPDATE FOR 6.4.x-
mine crashed while booting PT until i did.

32bit - NO ISSUES AT ALL!!!
64bit - 32bit drivers untested (don't have Windows 64bit)

Average all ITB session with that exact setup:

Effected Tracks-
Kick, Snare Top, Snare Bottom, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3, Tom4, OHL, OHR, KitRoom, Bass, RhythmL/Room, RhythmR/Room, Lead/Room, Vox1, Vox2, BU1, BU2, Trumpet

i am able to insert EQ (URS N/S/A, Waves SSL, T-Racks, WaveArts, or McDSP), and Comp (URS '70/'75/'80, Waves SSL, T-Racks, WaveArts, or McDSP) on every channel. post-comp EQ may be added if needed.
Drums are sent to 3 busses w/ OH's and Room sent separate
Guitars are sent to 2 busses (close and room)
Bass is sent to 1 buss
Vox and trumpet are sent to 4 busses (main, delay, reverb, and bu/trumpet)

Effected Busses-

Drums Mix- SSL G-Comp
Drums 'Verb- Altiverb/Wizoo
OH/Room Mix- SSL G-Comp

Guitar Close - none
Guitar Room - URS EQ/SSL EQ, ditto Comp

Bass - McDSP for dirt

Vox Main - none
Vox Delay - delay of choice
Vox Verb - altiverb or digi verb of choice
Vox BU/trumpet - URS comp of choice

NO STUTTERS. NO PLAYBACK ISSUES, NO BOUNCED TRACKS.
There is still room on the board for a UAD or another PCI/PCIe card of choice.

i am sure you can find the pc hardware listed above for half or less these days. one can build a more powerful pc and pick up a 001 for less than $650.

i hate my life.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:06 pm

HA! Isn't is such a fucking pain, how particular you have to be now using the 001. I mean I already spent a ton of money and learn the program damnit!

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Destroy Big Brother wrote:
To run PT LE and Digi 001 hardware reliably,you'll need to have a Win XP PC with either a Intel P4 CPU and Intel chipset motherboard, or a AMD Thunderbird/AthlonXP/Sempron CPU with a VIA chipset motherboard; 2 hard drives, 512mb minimum memory. This hardware shouldn't be expensive when purchased used and shouldn't be difficult to find. PT LE 6.1-6.4 will work fine, you can still get 6.4 from Digi. Avoid Intel Celeron CPUs and AMD Duron CPU's.

FOREWARNING: i am not promoting gear or software, and i go into detail later of a heavy session for sake of compatibilty and stabilty of unsupported hardware/software combos.

i've had a trusty 001 for a while (in line for the BLA mod), and cannot complain.
i built the tower that it runs on ($700 back then) with the following specs- (which aside from ram may be the most powerful setup you can get compatibilty wise). I've heard of the AM2 socket AMD processors fucking up with LE 6.4.x (the final version that supports the 001).

MSI K8Neo4
AMD 939 Socket Athlon 64x2 4200+
1 GB Kingston Ram DDR 400 (since upgraded to 2GB dualchannel, can go to 4GB channel; DDR is STILL faster than DDR2)
XP Home stripped down to bones (pro just adds networking crap).
3 W.D. SATA HDD's (since upgraded to 5 HDD's)
256 MB Nvidia 8500 GT Graphics PCIe
Dual-Layer DVD/RW drive
Antec Power supply

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE PACE INTERLOK UPDATE FOR 6.4.x-
mine crashed while booting PT until i did.

32bit - NO ISSUES AT ALL!!!
64bit - 32bit drivers untested (don't have Windows 64bit)

Average all ITB session with that exact setup:

Effected Tracks-
Kick, Snare Top, Snare Bottom, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3, Tom4, OHL, OHR, KitRoom, Bass, RhythmL/Room, RhythmR/Room, Lead/Room, Vox1, Vox2, BU1, BU2, Trumpet

i am able to insert EQ (URS N/S/A, Waves SSL, T-Racks, WaveArts, or McDSP), and Comp (URS '70/'75/'80, Waves SSL, T-Racks, WaveArts, or McDSP) on every channel. post-comp EQ may be added if needed.
Drums are sent to 3 busses w/ OH's and Room sent separate
Guitars are sent to 2 busses (close and room)
Bass is sent to 1 buss
Vox and trumpet are sent to 4 busses (main, delay, reverb, and bu/trumpet)

Effected Busses-

Drums Mix- SSL G-Comp
Drums 'Verb- Altiverb/Wizoo
OH/Room Mix- SSL G-Comp

Guitar Close - none
Guitar Room - URS EQ/SSL EQ, ditto Comp

Bass - McDSP for dirt

Vox Main - none
Vox Delay - delay of choice
Vox Verb - altiverb or digi verb of choice
Vox BU/trumpet - URS comp of choice

NO STUTTERS. NO PLAYBACK ISSUES, NO BOUNCED TRACKS.
There is still room on the board for a UAD or another PCI/PCIe card of choice.

i am sure you can find the pc hardware listed above for half or less these days. one can build a more powerful pc and pick up a 001 for less than $650.

i hate my life.
Great that you built a newer winXP computer that works for PT LE and a 001.
I have a socket 939 mb (VIA chipset and antiquated AGP video) and AMD cpu that I plan to put together as an upgraded platform for my 001 as well.

My hardware recommendations were based on the fact that he was looking for a used PC or Mac, not a new one. There's tons ot used PC's out there in the "obsolete" piles at used computer stores and thrift stores; you just need to know what to look for.

All audio interfaces are somewhat picky with hardware requirements and PC's.

MOTU's PC computer requirements are far more restrictive than Digidesign.

PC computer compared to a Mac, I'd pick the PC every time. Far more computer power for less $, even though Mr. Gates' company wastes a lot of it with their op system.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Re: 001

Post by eh91311 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:52 pm

InvalidInk wrote:
eh91311 wrote:To run 2 001's, check this thread;
But you have two seperate computers going though, right? Unless I wasn't grasping something. If you are only using one computer that would be pretty damn cool.
According to the thread, yep, you need 2 computers to run 2 001's together.
Almost every other audio interface manufacturer writes their drivers to allow you to sync 2 (or more) units together for more I/O's on one computer, EXCEPT for Digidesign.

Yet another very irritating thing that Digidesign has done.

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:22 pm

Destroy Big Brother wrote:i hate my life.
i hate digidesign too.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:01 pm

why would you want to run two 001's together? Aren't there better converters out there that you can chain to the 001 via spdif or optical? I use an AI-3 for 8 more ins and outs, and they're just as good if not better than the 001's converters and there isn't the annoying preamp taking up two channels.

I myself am having some other issues though with my 001. not necessarily with the ai-3, but with other converters via spdif.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... highlight=