mixing board question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

mixing board question

Post by randrohe » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:10 am

Hello All,
I am soon to be upgrading from a behringer 2442 which currently has 3 dead channels. I also have a motu ultralite and 8pre. I currently mix" in the box", but have been thinking about running out stems through the board, as this may help overcome ableton live's lack of track grouping, and being able to use the boards eq, insert points, etc.
Basically, I've been looking at the onyx series, as these seem to be getting good reviews.
What I would like to do is track through the onyx direct outs> to ultralite inputs. ( I don't think I would get the firewire card right away, as the ultralight can get 10 inputs in and I also have the 8pre)
Will I be able to keep both the xlr's and the line levels plugged in at the same time? Mics into the onyx for tracking, and then sending tracks back out through the ultralite into the line levels inputs on the board,( to take advantage of the boards e.q., etc.)
Basically, do I have to pull out the xlr's when wanting to use the line levels?
I am trying to avoid setting up a xlr patch bay.
thanx for any thoughts, Rand

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:08 am

If I understand you correctly, I don't think you have to pull the XLRs out when using the line levels inputs unless you wanna use the line level that's on the same channel with the XLR input. I don't know which pre sounds better ( the Onxy or the 8pre), but if the 8pre sounds better, and you track with 8 mics or less at a time, you can just track straight into the ultralite with the 8pre and use the onyx for monitoring/mixing/eq'ing without having to repatch. Good luck....

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:25 am

Thanx for the response,
I am leaning toward the mackie onyx, my basic question is, can I have the xlr jacks plugged while tracking , while the 1/4" lines are plugged in also. this way I could bring out tracks from the daw without having to repatch. I believe on higher end boards, there is some type of global switch which takes the board out of record mode into mix back mode. I would want this feature without repatching. hopefully I am wording this correctly. thans for any input. Rand