Vintech 1272

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

haskel1
audio school

Vintech 1272

Post by haskel1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:16 pm

Quick question out there for anyone. I just bought the Vintech 1272 and I'm having some issues. When I use my MXL V69 mic through it I'm getting a very "boxy" low end thing going on. When I reverse the phase, it cleans it up a little. Is this typical? What should I do to fix this problem? I do have other Non tube mics that sound great but I was hoping this chain would work well.
Have a great day.

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:43 pm

What about all of the Vintech line?

I've been looking into that quad pre and that dual pre... I am really interested. Anyone have these?

Sorry for making this thread different than originally proposed///

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Vintech 1272

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:38 am

haskel1 wrote:Quick question out there for anyone. I just bought the Vintech 1272 and I'm having some issues. When I use my MXL V69 mic through it I'm getting a very "boxy" low end thing going on. When I reverse the phase, it cleans it up a little. Is this typical? What should I do to fix this problem? I do have other Non tube mics that sound great but I was hoping this chain would work well.
That is totally weird. Did you get it used? Can you just swap it out for another unit wherever you got it? that certainly shouldnt be happening. I cant tell you what IS going on with a subjective observation on the sound, but it shouldnt change with the phase button, not with only one mic... I have had one of those for ages, and it still gets used for certain things. For certain sources, it is just the right pre. A lot of people think they are not good, but I am not sure what they are comparing it to... I have a beautiful, restored neve console with 32 channels of 33114, and I have 4 chandler germaniums, a pair of averill 1272's and a bunch more really swank mic pre's, and the vnintech still gets used for certain things.
Try to chck out a replacement, if you cant, have someone look at yours.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:32 pm

I have a vintech 273 and it sounds great.

Unfortunately, there were quality control issues with the first two units they sent me.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:37 pm

fossiltooth wrote:I have a vintech 273 and it sounds great.

Unfortunately, there were quality control issues with the first two units they sent me.
Justin are those cool? once you got one that wasnt f'd up... i have often wondered if it would be worth having one or 2 of those around... is it?

[ sweet hijack by the moderator, BTW]

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:58 pm

and make sure you are recording into the correct end of the V69. I know someone who was doing some recording with one and apparently the "front" was not so obvious but I could tell right away from the sound even though I never saw the actual setup (but I was right...). after they got the mic turned around it sounded pretty good. :lol:

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:23 am

joel hamilton wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:I have a vintech 273 and it sounds great.

Justin are those cool? once you got one that wasnt f'd up... i have often wondered if it would be worth having one or 2 of those around... is it?
Hey Joel,

Well, I sure think so. I was tired of tracking basics at bigger studios with neve's around and then finding myself at my project studio and not having that color available. It definitely fills that void for me at my project studio. I have a sytek, isa428, ua 2-610, and very recently an api 312. The 273 gets a lot of use.

I've never directly compared the 1272 and the 273, but based on memory, I'd say the 1272 felt a bit mushier and more 'veiled' and the 273 felt a bit more more forward and bold. The 273 sounds is supposed to sound like the vintech x73, which in turn, is obviously supposed to sound like a real 1073.

I've used real 1073's and other modules, but have never put one pack to back in the same room with a Vintech. Again, I'm going on subjective memories, but the vintech might sound a touch more articulate and might show just a little bit more 'teeth' when pushed when compared the older rackmounted Neve's I'm familiar with. It might be just a tiny, bit less "big" down below compared to what I'm used to, but it's hard to say with all the variety between actual neves of the same model.

Among my selection, it gets used anywhere I'd be inclined to plug in a Neve 10-something at an outside studio. It's never disappointed me. It easily fills the void I had, and then some. My neve envy has been cured. I can't say what role it will fulfill in your studio, but it's definitely worth demoing if you're looking for more channels in that vein. They also make a 473.
joel hamilton wrote: [ sweet hijack by the moderator, BTW]
Yeah, nice one! Way to set an example. :wink:
Last edited by fossiltooth on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grahamed
audio school graduate

Post by grahamed » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:45 am

+1 on the 273. I have one, and it's solid.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:48 am

I think they also make a 4 channel version, 473?
I never understood the Vintech bashing some people manifest.
To me it doesn't really matter how close a pre or comp or eq sounds compared to what it's modeled after, be it a plugin or hardware. If it sounds good and it's usable, then by all means....give props.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:25 pm

pk wrote:I think they also make a 4 channel version, 473?
To me it doesn't really matter how close a pre or comp or eq sounds compared to what it's modeled after, be it a plugin or hardware. If it sounds good and it's usable, then by all means....give props.
Well put, Patrick. So true. Like if I made a microphone that was called a "SEE 12" and it sounded better than any of my M49's but didnt sound like a "real C12" people would bash it to bits on the interweb. As if they like the original because it sounds just like a C12... ya know? it is because it SOUNDS good and happens to be called a C12.

If a mic pre sounds good and it is called a "Ben73" do I need to find a 1073 and see which one "wins."???? of course not. That is hy I can not stand the "shootout" type of things.
I have like every frikkin mic ever put up in one of those shootouts, and sometimes the GTmd1a goes on the record... sometimes the M49 goes on the record. Sometimes the U47 goes on the record, after listening.... after LISTENING to the source and deciding on a few choices I think are likely to flatter, I will choose one, and hit record. I dont put up 72 microphones or try 98 mic pre's on the hihat, or anything for that matter.

The vintech 1272 thingy has been a great pre for me for years now, like ever since they came out... '99? i dont remember, maybe '00? anyone?

Regardless of that whole rant, I hope the original poster can figure out WTF is going on. It should be a good pre, and it certainly shouldnt sound like poop until you hit the phase button... :?: :?: :?: :shock:

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:59 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
pk wrote:I think they also make a 4 channel version, 473?
Good point.

If I ever did put my 273 back to back with a 1073 and it didn't sound quite like a 1073, it wouldn't make me like it any less.

I've been using it regularly in the studio and I've been very happy with what I've heard. When I haven't been, It's only because I would prefer something entirely different on that source.

. Sure, it doesn't matter if the 273 sounds exactly like a 1073 as long as it sounds good, [b]but[/b] reference points can be very useful when making gear choices at outside studios... especially when you know what kind of flavor you're looking for.

If I walked into a studio and wasn't familiar with any of their gear, I might get stressed out.... but if the assistant or owner could say: "Well, this pre sounds kinda like a 512, this one's kinda gotta an 80-series neve feel, this one's more like a millenia; this mic has a C12 flavor, adn this one is more like a fet47, this comp is kinda like..." etc., etc., I'd have a much easier time getting started. It doesn't matter if the mic that sounds "kinda like a fet47" sounds exactly like a fet47. But at least I know which direction I'm going.

The same kind of broad comparisons thing can be very handy in making purchases, especially when you don't already own at least one of every standard vibey piece of gear ever made... (Do you remember what this feels like Joel? :wink:)
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clintsteele
pluggin' in mics

Post by clintsteele » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 pm

I agree that the vintech sounds very good... however I wish the EQ settings were incremental instead of continuous gain. otherwise great preamp methinks..

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:11 pm

fossiltooth wrote: The same kind of broad comparisons thing can be very handy in making purchases, especially when you don't already own at least one of every standard vibey piece of gear ever made... (Do you remember what this feels like Joel? :wink:)
Of course I do. That is why I kept striving to get the standards, though .. because I finally was like, F it, just get the damn FET47 if you want to sound like a fet 47... or get a XXXX if you want it to sound like an XXXX ya know?

bstrate
pluggin' in mics

phase problem

Post by bstrate » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:39 pm

I thought you said in your post that the non-tube mics you have work?
If they work through the Vintech, then maybe you have no problem with the vintech. All you are doing is changing the phase. Did you say you are recording this mic and listening back through headphones? or music in the control room. Maybe you have a cable or speaker not in phase. And or you are recording using this new chain with music which was recorded with phase problems. Does your mic have adjustable patterns? try a different pattern and see if changes. I have had a Vintech 1272 and it was fine. Also, I have a x73i and the 609C compressor and they work great. Lots of small home studios have problems with the design of there rooms and also wiring. If you have any more info for me, maybe I could help out.
Brian

ProTooler
audio school

Dual 72

Post by ProTooler » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:35 pm

I've got a Vintech Dual 72 and I really like it.
The only Neve pre I have to compare it to is Neve Prism (VR) which to me sounds OK at best.
I'll sing the high, low mid part...