DC/Baltimore repair people?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

DC/Baltimore repair people?

Post by standup » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:48 am

I've got a couple of aging devices that could use recap/maintenance type stuff. Anyone got a favorite person or shop that knows audio and does reasonably priced work? Isn't there a repair shop associated with Atomic Music? Are they guitar oriented or what???

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:36 am

might try brooks from AVEC / lord baltimore - he fixed my gtr players amp and does sound at talking head

http://www.lordbaltimorerecording.com/staff.cfm

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:45 am

Well, he probably doesn't do sound at the Talking Head anymore seeing as it closed down and all.

You might want to call Chuck Levin's or Atomic Music. If they can't repair it themselves ask them about Pro Tech. I can't find any info on this place, but I know they exist and I'm sure someone at these places knows the number for them. -(hris
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:16 am

Try Prototypes in Kensington, MD. They do good work, though they aren't necessarily cheap.

I haven't had good experience with Pro Tech. They held on to something for over a month, finally admitted they couldn't fix it, and when they returned it there were parts missing. :roll: It was just a pedal, but still.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:21 am

SkullChris wrote:Well, he probably doesn't do sound at the Talking Head anymore seeing as it closed down and all.

You might want to call Chuck Levin's or Atomic Music. If they can't repair it themselves ask them about Pro Tech. I can't find any info on this place, but I know they exist and I'm sure someone at these places knows the number for them. -(hris
well - it was open when i played there and he ran sound for me about a week ago... they recently re-opened... though it is a little shittier than last time i was there (no heat in the building)

http://www.talkingheadclub.com/

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:18 pm

Pro-Tech is not the best. Well, maybe they are by default, seeing as how few other repair shops there are in the area...

The guy who runs KCA NOS tubes is in Sterling, VA. I know he does classic amp repair - might be willing to take on a recap job on recording equipment. I was going to see if he'd work on a few old tube broadcast limiters I have around that are currently in "difficult" condition.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:21 pm

weatherbox wrote:Pro-Tech is not the best. Well, maybe they are by default, seeing as how few other repair shops there are in the area...

The guy who runs KCA NOS tubes is in Sterling, VA. I know he does classic amp repair - might be willing to take on a recap job on recording equipment. I was going to see if he'd work on a few old tube broadcast limiters I have around that are currently in "difficult" condition.
Last I heard Mike was real busy and not taking in much new repair work.

hurricaneE
alignin' 24-trk

Prototypes seconded

Post by hurricaneE » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:14 pm

If Tom at Prototypes can't do it, maybe someone at Washington Professional Service (Chuck's pro audio wing) could recommed someone. -E

grahamed
audio school graduate

Music Technology

Post by grahamed » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:42 am

http://www.musictechnology.com/

I had some work done by these guys in Springfield VA a while ago, they seemed to know what they were doing...

- Grahame

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Gummy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:16 am

I have used them too. They can be busy but seemed very fair and can do almost anything you need.

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

Post by ivanovich » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:26 pm

i've never used any of the baltimore guys. my friend has tried protech with hit and miss results...mostly miss with his experiences but i don't want to knock em down. they're probably good with other stuff.
this said, the guy that refurbishes my ampex 350's/351's really knows what he's doing. the shop he runs specializes in remote/location recording. but he's built consoles, mic preamps and a shitload of other stuff that doesn't come to mind. they love nagras over there, and just tape decks in general...
when he finishes the work he hands me all of the original parts that were replaced along with a detailed report on distortion/s, frequency response and analysis, etc. when he's done with something it not only sounds great, but actually specks out really well.
here's the downer. he is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. takes his time because he's so busy with other stuff.....and he's really expensive. but he's got a machine shop and could fix anything.....so........anywho

i've been building some compressors and mic preamps....mostly old designs along with some of my own original designs. what exactly is it that you'd like to improve the sound of? i've been fixing vintage guitar tube amps and vintage tube compressors/limiters with great success....droping the noise floor, shaping up power supplies, stuff like that. only thing i haven't made/fixed are equalizers......
let me know if the other places are too busy.....depending on the circuit perhaps i can fix it while you wait or have a pretty quick turn around time......

pm me if you'd like

best,

Ivan.