The Obligatory Fake-Out Lo-Fi Intro, is it Cliche Yet?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:18 pm

kayagum wrote:The only time this ever worked for me was Minor Threat's classic cover version of Stepping Stone.
totally.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:49 pm

theBaldfather wrote: Dynamic mixing seems to be more important than ever now that the mixes are getting crushed at the final stage. It probably is getting cliched, but there are a limited number of ways to make the current forms of music sound dynamic while being super squashed.
Bingo. I think this sums it up. And as a technique it is cliche and it sucks in the first place.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 pm

No, not at all. I think this technique is completely valid and also TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:02 pm

maybe we should make a list and see how many major label releases have used the technique.

I seem to remember the first track of "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" did that. Of course it was probably still relatively fresh then.

On the Joni Mitchell record "Blue" there's one track where that happens in the middle, and I don't remember which one. It's sort of word-painting something in the lyrics about a jukebox or stereo or telephone or something, if I remember right. That certainly had a reason for existing so it gets a pass for sure.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:04 pm

Marcocet wrote:Check out the opener to Barkmarket's album L Ron. I think they kinda finished off the whole technique with that intro. It's perfect.

-marc alan goodman
yes, i love this track. incredible dynamics. it just kills. what a fucking cool sounding album this was.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:24 pm

I don't think it's as much a surprise techniques as it is a fade-in, like the establishing shot in a movie which often has an affected feel to it, that changes once the actualy movie begins. You wouldn't want it to happen more than maybe once in a movie/record, then it would get annoying, but I don't think it's annoyingly cliched.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Re: The Obligatory Fake-Out Lo-Fi Intro, is it Cliche Yet?

Post by roygbiv » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:40 pm

Does it count if it starts lo-fi and then, well, gets slightly higher?

I'm thinking of a cool track on the Liars first album "They threw us all in a Trench and stuck a monument on top" (circa 2001).

The track ("The Garden was crowded and Outside") starts with lo-fi typewriter clacking away.

This lil' rhythmic ditty is soon accompanied by a Bonham-esque simple drum beat, which was recorded on a little monophonic cassette recorder.

After ~ 30s, this yields to a full version of the song. Cliche I guess, but I still think it sounds pretty cool. 'specially if your good and buzzed.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:11 pm

Wish You Were Here. I'm pretty sure there must be a track off of American Prayer that does this. Don't one or two of the Beatles tracks do something similar? Its just a different version of the soloed ostinato, isn't it?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Re: The Obligatory Fake-Out Lo-Fi Intro, is it Cliche Yet?

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:25 pm

Sure, the lo-fi intro sctick is a bit of an overused trick, but not quite as overused as a 16th-note hi-hat disco beat section in the middle of an indie rock song. I don't think it's gotten to that point of being totally nauseating and contrived yet.

Grandiose changes in mood, feel, tempo or sonic landscape will always be with us.
A-Barr wrote: Is it an attempt to lower the listener's expectations to make the regular mix sound better by comparison?
I think this is one of the primary reasons we hear this. There is no big without small. Lo-fi intros can definitely make ok mixes sound better by comparison... at least for the next 16 bars or so.

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Post by LVC_Jeff » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:10 pm

It's about as cliche'd as a reversed cymbal crash and then a short pause before the first chord of a metalcore song :D

But I enjoy them both. Cliches can sound good. Depends on the record and the band.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:21 pm

I hadn't thought about it being an official cliche yet but I've tried to stop thinking about music in those terms because especially with pop/rock music it's all cliche and it's all been done a zillion times. It's a formula. Just like someone else pointed out the whole I IV V chord progression. I've done the lo-fi vocal/guitar intro technique three or four times recently and it didn't make me cringe so at least in those cases it helped more than it hurt but it was their choice so I just did what I was told. Usually by the time we're at the mixing stage I can give an honest opinion and if I think it sucks then I'll speak up but ultimately I'll do whatever I'm told to do.

Thanks for mentioning Barkmarket I'd forgotten how good they were. Used to see them out in Philly, always loved the name.
And hellyea it works on Stepping Stone.....I just finished a book about the history of American Hardcore music. Great great stuff.....
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:43 pm

inverseroom wrote:I intend to have ten seconds of glorious full spectrum ROCK at the beginning of my next record, followed by 45 minutes of transistor radio static.
*steals this idea*

*fails to make anything entertaining out of it*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:51 pm

Like many "engineering gimmicks," I'll say yes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:04 pm

I think its like everything else in music....Theres only 12 notes...That doesnt mean that there are songs that dont still surprise and move me....Creativity, context, and connection....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:13 pm

Yeah, but this isn't like the possibilities involved in organizing those twelve notes (assuming standard western harmonic thinking) into something. This is a specific technique.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC