The Obligatory Fake-Out Lo-Fi Intro, is it Cliche Yet?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

generichumanperson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by generichumanperson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:09 pm

a lot of popular music on the radio now is just compressed and boring sounding to me, and i dont even have ears really for compression yet. What's with these black r and b/rap guys singing with autotune and people loving it? Can anyone sing anymore?

Ryan Wasoba
ass engineer

Post by Ryan Wasoba » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:25 pm

I think the "fake-out" on Title Track by Death Cab works because the sounds on the intro are interesting enough that if it never opened up into the real mix, nobody would complain. It feels more like it goes from one cool sounding mix to another.

Another good example is in the middle of "7/4 (Shorelines)" by Broken Social Scene, right after the chorus, it sounds like it cuts to a different mix and then busts in with the real one again. Anybody know what is actually going on there?

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:48 pm

A-Barr wrote:I'd like to hear a fake-out intro where everything is looped, time-aligned, replaced and autotuned, then it kicks in to actual recorded music.
That's a cool idea...

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:03 am

just wanted to add that i was specifically requested to do this for a band last week. IT LIVES ON...

band:"can you do like, a lo-fi kind of, radio kind of sound, maybe like a record, you know.. and then it goes BOOM into the real song? that would be sick"
me:"..."
band:"you know what i mean? like... (describes it again)"
me:"i know exactly what you're talking about. i have to warn you though.. its kind of a cliche these days.. but i'll do it if you want it"
band:"our whole band is kind of a cliche anyway. hey, can you do those big "BOOM" things that happen when everything comes back in?"
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:03 pm

hahahah. nice.

"boom" things? like 808's?

I added some 808's to some black metal... but, can't say it was my idea.. i got it from another guy whose much more known and skilled than i am.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:46 pm

dynomike wrote: band:"our whole band is kind of a cliche anyway."

at least they're honest and self-aware.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:37 pm

wedge wrote:
A-Barr wrote:I'd like to hear a fake-out intro where everything is looped, time-aligned, replaced and autotuned, then it kicks in to actual recorded music.
That's a cool idea...
*steals it*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca