The Obligatory Fake-Out Lo-Fi Intro, is it Cliche Yet?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:21 pm

i still like doing 'natural lofi' drums with just the bullet mic, does that count as cliche too?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:48 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i still like doing 'natural lofi' drums with just the bullet mic, does that count as cliche too?
so long as it doesn't sound like the intro to "Tubthumping" you're probly safe. :)
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:47 pm

LVC_Jeff wrote:It's about as cliche'd as a reversed cymbal crash and then a short pause before the first chord of a metalcore song :D

But I enjoy them both. Cliches can sound good. Depends on the record and the band.
ahahaha... we totally did that on our last record, cept it was a backwards snare!! along with hella backwards vocals... we're suckers for that

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:44 pm

RefD wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i still like doing 'natural lofi' drums with just the bullet mic, does that count as cliche too?
so long as it doesn't sound like the intro to "Tubthumping" you're probly safe. :)
:lol:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:52 pm

Once you start bitcrushing it...clich? city!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:22 am

dwlb wrote:
but what if it's a bullet mic going into a Sound Blaster Deluxe?

(8 bit/22khz mono, btw)
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

mcRack
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcRack » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:55 am

A band from Finland comes to mind.....hmmm...the RASMUS...
discusting..... :x
only time `ll help,it`s a pain in the ... right now but, i know i`ll get there soon enough :)

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:02 am

i was thinking of using a severe low pass the other day, through the bridge of a song, it's a slow song, so there's no obvious surprises, but, it's a bit interesting since you have to consciously try to listen again. gives you a chance to re adjust your ears. like taking a knap in the middle of a song.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:29 am

RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:
but what if it's a bullet mic going into a Sound Blaster Deluxe?

(8 bit/22khz mono, btw)
Well, that's a good point. If it's not done through a bitrman or lo-fi plugin, is it still a clich

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:42 am

I have been thinking about this, trying to figure out what exactly is cliche about it...

It still sounds cool when the instruments come in one at a time, like acoustic guitar - electric - bass & drums (i.e. "Counterfeit Umbrella")

It still sounds good to me to hear a Bach fugue where one voice enters with the subject, followed by a second, third, et.. Although I have some friends who find that pretty boring too...

Basically if it is a musical arrangement of the same technique, it does it just fine for me, and as has been said, pretty much everything in music is a cliche in some sense, not that there isn't original music being made, but most everything out there uses established building blocks and techniques, mixing included.

Is it that it is such obvious heavy-handed engineering? I still like the crazy panning that happens in early Pink Floyd records, reverse delay, over-compressed drums and double tracked vocals, although I suppose one *could* argue all that was cliche too, if he or she was extra-cynical.

Whatever. Guess it's not that big a deal, matter of taste, subjective, bla bla bla, I don't like drum loops, piezo guitars or diva vox but God help us, they are everywhere and who am I to diss them? They probably don't like Morton Feldman or Can either. Their loss. :wink:

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:57 am

A-Barr is a CAN fan?

Dude, I swear, you're like my doppelg?nger, or something...

we seem to agree on everything, especially amps. :shock:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:08 am

A-Barr wrote:I have been thinking about this, trying to figure out what exactly is cliche about it...

It still sounds cool when the instruments come in one at a time, like acoustic guitar - electric - bass & drums (i.e. "Counterfeit Umbrella")

It still sounds good to me to hear a Bach fugue where one voice enters with the subject, followed by a second, third, et.. Although I have some friends who find that pretty boring too...

Basically if it is a musical arrangement of the same technique, it does it just fine for me, and as has been said, pretty much everything in music is a cliche in some sense, not that there isn't original music being made, but most everything out there uses established building blocks and techniques, mixing included.

Is it that it is such obvious heavy-handed engineering? I still like the crazy panning that happens in early Pink Floyd records, reverse delay, over-compressed drums and double tracked vocals, although I suppose one *could* argue all that was cliche too, if he or she was extra-cynical.
I suppose something is more likely to be considered clich? if you're not a fan of the style of music that utilizes that technique/trick/whatever.

SplitSingleJoe
audio school graduate

Post by SplitSingleJoe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:10 am

Thanks for mentioning Barkmarket I'd forgotten how good they were.
Yeah good call Marc, I haven't heard Barkmarket in so long! What an awesome band. I have an old guitar magazine interview with the guitar player somewhere where he details some of his favorite odd ball recording techniques.

The Bronx's first self titled record opens with the cliche filtered intro, and in that records case it actually helps because despite being an awesome record it really isn't that great sounding. I still almost crash my jeep in excitement every time the full bandwidth mix kicks in though. ANyone traveling on I95 in Philly beware!
pretty much everything in music is a cliche in some sense, not that there isn't original music being made, but most everything out there uses established building blocks and techniques, mixing included.
I often tell musicians "All music is an arrangement of cliches, its how creatively you arrange them that is key to making something worth listening to".

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:33 am

??????? wrote:A-Barr is a CAN fan?

Dude, I swear, you're like my doppelg?nger, or something...

we seem to agree on everything, especially amps. :shock:
Everytime I meet another Can fan, it's like I'm 13 years old and I'm all "You like them TOO??!!" :shock:

Rock on, brotha.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 am

A-Barr wrote:
??????? wrote:A-Barr is a CAN fan?
Everytime I meet another Can fan, it's like I'm 13 years old and I'm all "You like them TOO??!!" :shock:

Rock on, brotha.

There's more of us around than you might think.