Something better than Toft ATB-16

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BenWV
ass engineer

Something better than Toft ATB-16

Post by BenWV » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm looking for a 16 channel outboard mixer no more than $4000 and have recently been turned on to the Toft ATB. I'm wondering if there is something used I can spend the same ammount of money on and come out with more on, or if I should just go ahead with something like this ?? Thanks.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:07 am

On eBay consoles go for cheap all the time, so if you can find one that is pick up only in your area there is a chance you can find a great deal.

There is a D&R Dayner that has been for sale on eBay for $5000 for a few weeks, maybe you can make the guy an offer of $4000 and he'd take it if that's close by to you. That would give you a 56 channel in-line console!

Soundcraft Ghost sell for around $2000 all the time, and you might be able to find a Trident board in your budget. Otari made some nice consoles in the day, and are also in your price range.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:53 am

I am using a Soundcraft Delta that I'm pretty impressed with. It happens to have Jim Williams mods done to four of the channels and the master section, so this certainly enhances the sound, but I'd expect it to sound pretty good "stock" as well. Clean, but with a bit of body and a lot of headroom. Decent EQ. As it is with consoles these days, they can be found fairly cheap.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:49 am

As an ATB-16 owner, I'd get a vintage Trident and have it run through by a tech.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:19 pm

This is going to sound wacky, but I gotta say how impressed I was with the Midas Venice at a live gig we did recently. The recording we made from the direct outs of the board sounds awesome. Transients out the rear. The drums sound killer. I know it is a live board, but I keep wondering how it would fare in the studio.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:47 pm

b3groover wrote:This is going to sound wacky, but I gotta say how impressed I was with the Midas Venice at a live gig we did recently. The recording we made from the direct outs of the board sounds awesome. Transients out the rear. The drums sound killer. I know it is a live board, but I keep wondering how it would fare in the studio.
man, you had to do it didn't you..

*takes cover*

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:25 pm

trodden wrote:
b3groover wrote:This is going to sound wacky, but I gotta say how impressed I was with the Midas Venice at a live gig we did recently. The recording we made from the direct outs of the board sounds awesome. Transients out the rear. The drums sound killer. I know it is a live board, but I keep wondering how it would fare in the studio.
man, you had to do it didn't you..

*takes cover*
Yeah, I'm wondering about the venice. I used one once but only a few channels and I was geeking around with the EQs for effect...not really concerned with getting a true sound I mean. A friend of mine loves his, but I have read a lot of people talking trash about it.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:00 pm

Well, I've heard some stuff about it too, but never actually heard one until last Friday night and it sounded great and the recording from the direct outs (and some subgroups) sounds great as well.

I'm not an expect on the board by any means, but I liked what I heard.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

dtguitar04
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dtguitar04 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:15 pm

The Venice is Mida's entry board...just keep that in mind. Compared to the upper level Midas boards, the Venice is terrible...I wasn't impressed with the Verona either (the next step up). IMHO, I think people get sucked into the name, more-so than the features. Just my 2 cents.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:21 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:As an ATB-16 owner, I'd get a vintage Trident and have it run through by a tech.
is that comment based on the sonics or your shitty service experience?

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 pm

Midas is to live engineering as Neve is to recording. The Venice is a decent console but its also the least expensive by about $15000 to the next model up.

Although its not designed to be a recording console I am sure you could get some favorable results.

I have done some 2 track recordings off the Midas Verona and the Heritage 3000 and they sound really really good.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:44 pm

As an ATB-16 owner, I'd get a vintage Trident and have it run through by a tech.

what ever happened with that? this relates to the thread- did they ever resolve your issues or come through for you. i'm sure benwv would want to know.

d

BenWV
ass engineer

Post by BenWV » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:24 pm

would this make any sense for me ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching

dtguitar04
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dtguitar04 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 pm

That might be more trouble than it's worth...the situation the buyer describes seems a little hairy.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:49 pm