Editing Guilt

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:39 pm

I'm creating art, and I deem fit to use an unnatural color, I will.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:53 pm

rushofblood wrote:I'm creating art, and I deem fit to use an unnatural color, I will.
+1
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:57 pm

dwlb wrote:
rushofblood wrote:I'm creating art, and I deem fit to use an unnatural color, I will.
+1
"West of Arkham the hills rise wild, and there are valleys with deep woods that no axe has ever cut."
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:07 am

RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:
rushofblood wrote:I'm creating art, and I deem fit to use an unnatural colour out of space, I will.
+1
"West of Arkham the hills rise wild, and there are valleys with deep woods that no axe has ever cut."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:57 pm

dwlb wrote:
RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:
rushofblood wrote:I'm creating art, and I deem fit to use an unnatural colour out of space, I will.
+1
*waves branches in windless night with approval*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:54 pm

I feel guilty for" communicating" via cyberspace.
You are all suckers to technology.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:41 pm

johnny7 wrote:I feel guilty for" communicating" via cyberspace.
You are all suckers to technology.
some of us even used to help build and maintain it.

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

Post by solo-bration » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:21 am

I don't use them as a crutch, but I'm not afraid to use tools to make music sound better or fix hopeless takes. Maybe I should've mentioned in my initial post that I record a good amount of young bands (emo/punk/pop-punk stuff), and they usually aren't very good at their instruments (due mostly to their age/inexperience).

Don't worry, there is very little 'soul' being lost here (dynomike). Sure, I could try to coach a better take... over and over and over, but as Dave (junkshop) said, you quickly know what you're up against, and the tedious editing starts to look like the smarter path.

Making terrible bands sound good is oddly rewarding, but I guess morally it bums me out a little. There are just so many Travis Barker-clone drummers... They've got the expensive kits, tattoos and 'tude, but can't play a solid kick-kick-snare pattern. These dudes put splash triplets between their china boy hits. I fear that this is the "next generation" of drummers.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:38 am

You can't polish a turd, but you can wrap it in gold.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:26 am

There is a difference between sonic-shaping tools like reverb or compression versus Autotune which augments a performance. I don't mind chopping/comping/micro-editing as long as it comes from a good, genuine take. Autotune crosses the line into a manufactured performance that does not reflect the real talent of the artist.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:49 am

solo-bration wrote:These dudes put splash triplets between their china boy hits. I fear that this is the "next generation" of drummers.
I have a sign on the studio doors that says "NO CHINA BOY CYMBALS"

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:12 am

i've been on both sides of the line, and it bothered me more as a player to have somebody cut and paste and reinvent something i played than it did to be the one doing the editing on a track i didn't play. it's an ego thing.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:41 pm

solo-bration wrote:These dudes put splash triplets between their china boy hits. I fear that this is the "next generation" of drummers.

At least it'll be a generation of drummers that are capable of playing triplets...

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:53 pm

At least they're actually playing the drums! Was there ever such a thing as drum machine guilt?

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:17 pm

You should feel good if you cheat and don't get caught. Do lots of editing and looping and make it sound natural, don't feel bad, but do have a hearty chuckle. I don't know if it's more like doing a good makeup job or wearing a t-shirt with fake abs.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~