$9 heat gun

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

$9 heat gun

Post by phantom power » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:01 pm

For all of you, like me, that have been burning heat shrink tubing with a lighter.

Just got back from Harbor Freight and they had a heat gun on sale for $9.

Thought I'd let y'all know.

-AE

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:09 pm

I got one last year from Big Lots as well. It changed my life. I have successfully heat-shrunk every connection, cable, connector, larger mole, ear lobe and peninsular object I could fit shrink tubing around.

Seriously, Big Lots, Ocean State Job Lot, etc. are my favorite places to shop. I recently found honest-to-goodness black gaffer's tape for $3.88 at OSJL. I usually pay no less than $12 for one roll.

Back to the heat gun. It is such a great and useful tool for my workbench. I would see them in electronics catalogs for $30 and up, and I just couldn't justify the expense.

By the way, I stocked up on heat shrink tubing a few years back through Parts Express. They mostly sell speakers, drivers and speaker-building supplies, but they always have killer deals on related closeouts, and they have a great heat shrink tubing selection.

I've even toyed with custom-stamping sleeves of tubing with the studio name on them to keep honest people honest. I figure, a rubber stamp and some permanent ink will do the job.

Roger

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:02 pm

Rodgre wrote: I've even toyed with custom-stamping sleeves of tubing with the studio name on them to keep honest people honest. I figure, a rubber stamp and some permanent ink will do the job.

Roger

For identifying wires, that works really great with white heat-shrink; they use that on aircraft wiring all the time. For a simpler approach, you can just write on the tubing with a Sharpie.

But for keeping people honest... well, if they'll steal, they'll also slit the tubing length-wise, take the cable, & leave the tubing there on the floor for you...
________
Drug Testing
Last edited by philbo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:55 pm

Once Upon A Year, the high-dollar heat shrink guns used "in the industry" were the only choice. However, guns sold at Home Depot, etc for "paint removal", etc are a VERY valid choice, and sold at a fraction of the price.

I have a beat-to-hell Wagner (sp??) that rattles because of TOO MANY trips around the country. Made in Mexico.

Shrug..the main idea is a blast of heat that would FRY my long hair :-), and yet have the device NOT full of lead, asbestos, short circuits, and all of the other BS that Chinese-made gizmos seem to bring to the marketplace.

Now I'm "venting", but if there is ANY mention of "Made in China", anywhere on the unit, it is JUNK! Patooie...slave labor and ripoff of decent equipment.

China Made = Junk. Total Crap built by slave labor.

AND, I know that some USA companies are using Chinese slave labor to cut costs.

Sorry..that business plan puts American workers on the streets.

I will shut off now.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:46 am

Oh man, you re-pissed me off about Chinese shit.

I bought a little triple output bench supply off ebay for cheap knowing it was built in China. I have seen the exact same unit in everyone's catalog, just branded diffrently so I thought I would be safe.

1'st unit - Transformer extremely loose and banging around, current meters were not correct at all. I got the schematic and calibrated one side, but the other would not cal correctly. Sent back.

2'nd unit - Didn't turn on, DOA, transformer loose inside.

3'rd unit - looks like it came out of some one elses shop. Dirty fingerprints all over it, scratched up. Transformer loose inside.. Never plugged it in.

Got my money back. The whole ordeal took a month and I still don't have an adjustable supply.

I think it's a little sad that there is so much chinese made electronics shop equipment. I can't really think of anything that is american made, maybe weller? Probably not.

I wanted to get a little reflow oven to do SMT stuff with, but the only one thats small enough for me is chinese! :evil:

FiveFish
pluggin' in mics

Post by FiveFish » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:15 am

Sonic... for an adjustable supply, check this one out. It's not high current output, but just perfect for typical workbench projects. I think I paid around $100 for mine on Ebay.

HP 6205C
[url=http://www.fivefishstudios.com[/diy]Lunchbox Preamp Kits and DIY Projects... [/url]

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:05 am

Try to find a pair of shoes NOT made in China!

If we ever have a problem with China we will all be barefoot... But at least maybe our transformers will be mounted??
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:00 pm

That's a nice little PSU. I can't see needing over 750mA for what I do.

I just made an offer on eBay for $100. Hope I get it!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:35 pm

My wife does "Stampin Up" stuff and I just steal her heat gun... :P
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

widdly
audio school graduate

Post by widdly » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:55 am

Since not everyone on tape op is American and this is the WorldWideWeb, a couple of points...
1.) People in China also need jobs.
2.) There are some pretty crap audio products made in USA (rolls anyone?)

rongineer
audio school graduate

Post by rongineer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:50 pm

btw I purchased 2 of these heat guns this week. Both of them broke within 15 minutes. i was using them to strip paint. Both units were defective and that pissed my whole day away....but i still love harbor freight

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:01 pm

widdly wrote:Since not everyone on tape op is American and this is the WorldWideWeb, a couple of points...
Let's just say that I've been generally unimpressed with the QC of a LOT of stuff made in China.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

Kevin S
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kevin S » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:30 pm

widdly wrote:Since not everyone on tape op is American and this is the WorldWideWeb, a couple of points...
That' fine but let them keep the poor quality stuff thats covered in lead paint and who knows what else.

China is not always going to be the place where cheap things come from forever. I'll leave it there .