Oktava MK-012 vs. SM-81

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Oktava MK-012 vs. SM-81

Post by nestle » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:37 pm

Ok, new oktava thread spured by the RED caps purchase.
As I was saying in that thread, bought the RED caps only to notice the oktava mics are not so cheap anymore...doh. Anyway, I was thinking of selling my SM-81's to fund an oktava purchase. It seems like I might get one with 3 caps if I sell my shure for close to the same price.

Am I crazy? I have a pair of km184's so I'm set with the SDC pair in cardiod situation and use them more than the SM-81's. I like the SM-81's and have alot of respect for them as work horse mics but I could use an omni SDC more and the RED cap will be cool.
I'm wondering if there is something that the SM81 really trumps the MK012 at? I like that it has a shelf which is cool for hihat and under snare, but I've never used the mk012.....
Also, NO I don't want to ditch the km184's instead even though alot people dislike them...they work for me pretty well for overheads and acoustic, they get used alot.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:48 pm

The mk012's sound about like the sm81's up close, but the sm81's sound much better at a distance. The octava's (in cardiod) get a little unfocused and dark compared to the sm81's after about 4 feet or so. ymmv

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:00 pm

Just seconding Farview. I love the 012's up close - Sometimes over the 81's. But when I'm a little farther away -- Anything more than overheads for instance, the 81's pull it off.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:44 pm

How about at like 30 feet? I think the MC012s are ridiculously good ambient mics.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:05 pm

In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience with the SM81s, I tend to prefer the character of the modded MK-012s. One time I did observe very good results with an SM81 as a drum room mic. For general purpose use I would say springing for an OktavaMod set of 012s with the multiple capsules would be a good choice especially if the KM84s are already your favored/most-used set of cardioid SDCs.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:56 am

cgarges wrote:How about at like 30 feet? I think the MC012s are ridiculously good ambient mics.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Holy crap. Yes. I have found this to be the case.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:14 pm

I typically find that those MC012s work better a few inches farther back from the source than other similar mics and then again, WAY far off, as well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte NC[/b]

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:24 pm

cgarges wrote:How about at like 30 feet? I think the MC012s are ridiculously good ambient mics.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
+1

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:53 pm

I love my MC012's - matched pair from the "sound room". I believe these are quite different from the ones guitar center was blowing out 2 for $100.

I use mine for:

Overheads-Toms-Upright Bass-Acoustic Guitar

Using a Sytek or a UAM610 or a Soundcraft M8

Now I'm compelled to try them as distant ambient mics!

Chuck

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:27 pm

I don't think the SoundRoom ever claimed to have different Oktavas, but just a higher QC standard on those they sell. The world has come around to their point of view on it. GC amazingly enough seemed to have a consistently solid batch of 012's before McKay started shipping counterfeits--I got a good set of 012's with no great hunt, though the only 319 they had in the store was a doorstop.

Bear
[/i]

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:48 pm

Yeah, agreed about the GC thing. I bought my pair in 1999 or 2000 for between $100-$200 and they have been totally rock solid. I'm going to give them the OktavaMod treatment in early 2008 as well. Great multi-capsule multipurpose SDCs.

I haven't used a pair of SM81s since about 1998. They were the only SDCs that we had at UNCA and I really liked them. However, since I have the Oktavas I've been more than happy.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:47 pm

the cool thing about the MK-012s is they have tons of capsules and a couple mods. The dorsey mod can be done for around $25 if you source your own parts (I just did this so I can give you the best sources for the parts). And joly can do a better one for $80

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:22 am

micyourbrain wrote:the cool thing about the MK-012s is they have tons of capsules and a couple mods. The dorsey mod can be done for around $25 if you source your own parts (I just did this so I can give you the best sources for the parts). And joly can do a better one for $80
would you care to reveal said info?
i was under the impression that the oktavamod is pretty much the same as the dorsey mod. why do you think its better (other than the fact that he's done hundreds or even thousands of them and has the benefit of experience)?

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:00 pm

i assume it's better because... it's michael joly and he rules! it is slightly different; he says so on his website. I read a couple people's posts who said that they've done both and they like the joly mod slightly better. Probably not a huge difference. It would also be better because of the experience he has and the end user not really having to do anything except pay for it. If I had a wad of cash I would send it in, no question. That's all I meant by that

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:05 pm

micyourbrain wrote:i assume it's better because... it's michael joly and he rules! it is slightly different; he says so on his website. I read a couple people's posts who said that they've done both and they like the joly mod slightly better. Probably not a huge difference. It would also be better because of the experience he has and the end user not really having to do anything except pay for it. If I had a wad of cash I would send it in, no question. That's all I meant by that
I can't imagine what would be better than 'wooden tone with transient clarity'.

The Dorsey Mod does all it needs to.