Oktava MK-012 vs. SM-81

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:16 am

micyourbrain wrote:i assume it's better because... it's michael joly and he rules! it is slightly different; he says so on his website. I read a couple people's posts who said that they've done both and they like the joly mod slightly better. Probably not a huge difference. It would also be better because of the experience he has and the end user not really having to do anything except pay for it. If I had a wad of cash I would send it in, no question. That's all I meant by that
Scott Dorsey has been doing this since before most of us (all of us?) were born. That guy's forgotten more that I know.

No disrespect to My Jolly.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Might I add that Scott Dorsey is a super cool guy as well....nice, nice man, that Mr. Dorsey.

On topic, I have never tried the Oktava MC012s but I own and love an SM81. I don't think I could get rid of it....it just does what it does and it's really more flexible than some give it credit for.

Chris G has done some drum work for me recently using Oktavas, and by that measure, the Oktavas really do sound great....even in the kitchen and bathroom :wink: .

Off and on, I've been considering a pair as well....this is an interesting thread. Are the 2 mics really as close sounding as they sound like they are?

heylow

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:35 pm

heylow wrote:Chris G has done some drum work for me recently using Oktavas, and by that measure, the Oktavas really do sound great....even in the kitchen and bathroom :wink: .
Bwaa-ha-ha-ha-ha! Yesssssss!

I may have a line on an MC012 relatively cheap. If it's in decent shape, maybe I'll just stick it on your next bill and send it with the next round of broadcast wavs.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:28 pm

cgarges wrote:
heylow wrote:Chris G has done some drum work for me recently using Oktavas, and by that measure, the Oktavas really do sound great....even in the kitchen and bathroom :wink: .
Bwaa-ha-ha-ha-ha! Yesssssss!

I may have a line on an MC012 relatively cheap. If it's in decent shape, maybe I'll just stick it on your next bill and send it with the next round of broadcast wavs.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Wow!

Is this man a fella or what? Kind, kind man, that Garges. Yessir.

Yeah...let me know what you find!

heylow

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:00 pm

I can't wait!

3 more days until the 2SK170BL gets here and I can finish the mod!

Woody huh? I wish everything sounded woody

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:59 pm

micyourbrain wrote:I can't wait!

3 more days until the 2SK170BL gets here and I can finish the mod!

Woody huh? I wish everything sounded woody
Yes, woody is the adjective. KM84s have this quality too. The AKG 451, Shure SM81, Apex 185, MXL 603/991, Sennheiser 614 and E914 all have a 'zingier' quality with a more thin high frequency response. The Dorsey mod seems to bring the MK012 into focus.

It's almost as if you've finally solved your jitter problem!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:54 am

I vote for the sm81. Hands down my favorite microphone. If I had more than one, I'd use it on everything. :D

I've put it on kick, mono piano for rock, lead vocals, guitar, snare, with usable and amazing results each time.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:59 am

RWC wrote:I vote for the sm81. Hands down my favorite microphone. If I had more than one, I'd use it on everything. :D

I've put it on kick, mono piano for rock, lead vocals, guitar, snare, with usable and amazing results each time.
yeah, I know, I am rethinking selling it. I did have a pair then sold one to finance something I've forgotten now. I did snag a mint Oktava with 3 caps for 130 bucks used so it was cheaper than I thought it would be. I just don't use the sdc so much and usually in pairs when I do. Under the snare the SM81 has ruled so far and haven't found a better mic for that app. Also in the old days when I was an assistant the engineers always used it in a grand on the top strings. If the Oktava sounds as good when I get it as you all say it does then the SM81 hits the street. Looks like a shoot out is in order.

jmele2
pluggin' in mics

Post by jmele2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:43 am

I just did some tom mic tests with soundfiles - see the thread here:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?p=434931

enjoy!

J