not that anyone here ever would, but...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

not that anyone here ever would, but...

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:46 am

never try tackling a delicate soldering job on a 20+ yr old piece of gear at 2am in the morning when your hands are shaking and your eyes are crossing.

just...don't.

*wafts fumes of solder flux and scorched flesh out open garage door*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:10 am

shiiit, so done.

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:56 pm

What's that I smell? Is somebody frying Spam?
________
X hamster
Last edited by philbo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Wish I'd read this earlier. Just last night I lit my solder sponge on fire by accidentally setting the iron down on it for a couple minutes at 1:30 AM.

Lucky there was beer on hand to put it out...

"alcohol - the solution to, and cause of, all of life's little problems."

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:22 pm

A-Barr wrote:Wish I'd read this earlier. Just last night I lit my solder sponge on fire by accidentally setting the iron down on it for a couple minutes at 1:30 AM.

Lucky there was beer on hand to put it out...

"alcohol - the solution to, and cause of, all of life's little problems."
LOL!!! Been there...sorta...

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:03 am

a week later the wound has gotten past the skin falling off stage, the cracking and bleeding and oozing stage and has actually scabbed over and started itching...a good sign.

i think this may end up looking all ropey and pink for a few months or more after it heals.

in the meantime, i ditched the old wood-burner and am looking at getting a decent iron.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:05 am

RefD wrote:
in the meantime, i ditched the old wood-burner and am looking at getting a decent iron.
Thank. God.

You will be a changed man forever. I can all but remember the date when I finally trashed my Radio Shack iron and got a halfway decent Weller WES51. If I did remember the exact day, I would mark it on my calendar and celebrate it. That's how much easier it made my life.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:07 am

??????? wrote:
RefD wrote:
Thank. God.

You will be a changed man forever. I can all but remember the date when I finally trashed my Radio Shack iron and got a halfway decent Weller WES51. If I did remember the exact day, I would mark it on my calendar and celebrate it. That's how much easier it made my life.
actually my old iron IS a Weller!

but it was 23 watts of crap. :oops:

Hakko makes good stuff, right?

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:40 am

you get what you pay for no matter who makes it. Hakko 936 and Weller WES51 are virtually equivalent and good choices for the person who does an above-average amount of soldering, repair and/or DIY.

Worth the investment for anyone to own if you own more than 3 pieces of vintage musical equipment (and maintain them yourself) or if you have done more than two soldering projects in the last year, in my opinion.

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Over time, my girlfriend has done a BUNCH of "production soldering" for me...building up snakes, etc.

VERY early, Debbie learned that "if you drop the soldering iron, do NOT grab for it, since you will likely find the 700-degree end"!

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:24 am

brianroth wrote:Over time, my girlfriend has done a BUNCH of "production soldering" for me...building up snakes, etc.

VERY early, Debbie learned that "if you drop the soldering iron, do NOT grab for it, since you will likely find the 700-degree end"!

Bri
the couple that solders together stays together

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:21 am

Boogdish wrote:
brianroth wrote:Over time, my girlfriend has done a BUNCH of "production soldering" for me...building up snakes, etc.

Bri
the couple that solders together stays together
What's weird is that this is the second conversation I've been a part of in the past week that has yielded that response. :shock:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 am

Bri
Unless, like me, you grab the coil part and get shocked...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

single_fin
alignin' 24-trk

Post by single_fin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:11 pm

despite the sense of freedom, i've totally gone off nude soldering.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:57 pm

single_fin wrote:despite the sense of freedom, i've totally gone off nude soldering.
man, that is NOT what they mean by "de-soldering wick"!