your choice for acoustic guitar strings?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:58 am

ipressrecord wrote:
mingus2112 wrote:i'm a big fan of the D'Addario EXP series. They're coated, but sound a lot more natural (to me) than the Elixers. They come in all different styles (80/20, Phospher Bronze, etc). I dig them on just about all of my acoustics.

-J
I'm actually using a set of these right now since I got it for free two years ago and needed to change strings on the Taylor. I actually prefer the Elixir Polywebs but obviously this is a personal thing and there is no right or wrong.

Jeff
DEFINITELY a personal thing! :)
HWJLHC?

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:15 am

I've wondered about other coated strings, the D'Addarios and others.

I've been happily using the Elixir Polywebs for years, but now a bunch of people are making coated strings too.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the various coated strings compare? I'm only familiar with the Elixir Nanoweb and the Elixir Polyweb (which I prefer).

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:16 am

inverseroom wrote:Everyone will jeer at me, but I am loving the Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze...
+1, but I'd never dare admit it (accept right now I guess). They sound great and last a super long time. I really love all the above-mentioned steel strings once they get really dead, too. Two very different sounds.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

sfsonarboy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sfsonarboy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:25 am

I just put a pack of those (nanoweb phosphor bronze) on last night and looking forward to checkin' them out (generally use Elixir Polywebs). Looking forward to seeing how they compare. I tried one set of the D'Addario EXP's, and liked them better than non-coated strings but not quite as much as Polywebs.
logancircle wrote:
inverseroom wrote:Everyone will jeer at me, but I am loving the Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze...
Playing guitar and crooning with Mad Mama and The Bona Fide Few,
"Americana music, North Beach style"
www.madmamaandthebonafidefew.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mad-Mama- ... 1593279797
Twitter: madmamabonafide

bipedal
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bipedal » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:31 pm

+1 on the John Pearse guitar strings -- to my ears, they're a good match with my '74 D-28, seem to "break in" (lose that new string extra brightness) quickly and smoothly, and work well for strummed work and finger picking. A similar age D-19 might react similarly...

I went through a Martin SP phase, but eventually decided they didn't hold up as well for me and sounded a bit thinner. (Though I did like the brown sugar scent of the string packets -- do they still have that smell?)

- Jay

peterr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by peterr » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:38 pm

I too have been very torn over what strings to use ever since I got my '59 J-45. John Pearse strings were my favorites on my D-28, but I never tried D'Addario , Elixir, etc. on it. I'd say John Pearse strings definitely sound better than Martin Strings, but that could depend on the guitar I suppose.

Do you guys think all those artists listed on the D'Addario website really use them or were just going for the easy cash? for now I'm just leaving the old strings this guitar came with because it sounds too damn good to tinker.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:03 pm

I too am enamored with Elixers. BUT I prefer the 80/20 Nanowebs. The nano, while thinnner coating, do still last a long time (usually around 2-3 months for me) and they do not give me the 'dead' sound of many other coated strings, including the elixer polywebs. I do find them to be chime-ey (not in a bad way), and I'm playing a jumbo which has bass for days. I should note that my jumbo has maple back and sides so it has a brightness as well as low end.

No, no string is perfect for every guitar. But I've got to say the Elixers come closer than anything else I've tried.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini