your choice for acoustic guitar strings?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Smitty
tinnitus

your choice for acoustic guitar strings?

Post by Smitty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:35 am

recently snagged a '77 Martin D19 that i'm really enjoying as my first serious acoustic, but after stringing it up with a new set of Martin Marquis strings I had lying around, i realized that i've never really found acoustic guitar strings that i'm happy with.

these sound WAY too brassy. i tend to like the tone (but not the feel) of older, worn-in strings... anybody have a secret brand of acoustic strings that they couldn't do without?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:05 am

So far, I'm really liking these on my 000-M:

They definitely do not have that "Dave Matthews Band"-thing going on. I started using them per Mr. Dave Tamaloff's suggestion.

Andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:57 am

I love DR Rare Phosphor Bronze. Always get compliments for tone, great to play on.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:57 am

John Pearce Med Gauge. These age well and don;t have too much of that metallic flavour that you mentioned.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:57 am

Everyone will jeer at me, but I am loving the Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze. If you're a sweaty hand man like me, these are kings among the coated strings.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:04 am

inverseroom wrote:Everyone will jeer at me, but I am loving the Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze. If you're a sweaty hand man like me, these are kings among the coated strings.
Is the nanoweb the original or is that the polyweb? I've been using the original elixir formula on my Taylor since I bought it in 2000. I use Silk and Steels on my Gibson LG0 and that's working out just fine.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:08 am

nanoweb is the newer I believe

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 am

inverseroom wrote:Everyone will jeer at me, but I am loving the Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze. If you're a sweaty hand man like me, these are kings among the coated strings.
If you gig a lot, Elixir is a life saver. It was a lifesaver on my tours this past year, and it even survived a gig in a 120 degree barn last year.

xusr
pluggin' in mics

Post by xusr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:15 am

I love DR Rare Phosphor Bronze.
+1. DRs don't last very long for me, though...

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:18 am

I use GHS Boomers, in various guages, on every guitar I own, including the Yamaha acoustic, and the Ibanez 12-string.

stratology
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stratology » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:53 am

My favourites are Thomastik Spectrum Bronze. Very good if your guitar is very well-built and responsive. They sound good for recording, very detailed and balanced.
Don't last very long, though.

Frank

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 am

The great thing about elixirs is that they sound "normal" from the get-go. They don't go through a few days of sounding like chiming bells, until settling into a natural tone. Of course, if you're into that chiming bell sound, then don't get 'em at all. But if you like slightly dead-sounding strings, elixirs are great, because they sound that way out of the box, and they last a looong time tonally, because they're coated. I like they way they play, too.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:12 am

wedge wrote:The great thing about elixirs is that they sound "normal" from the get-go. They don't go through a few days of sounding like chiming bells, until settling into a natural tone. Of course, if you're into that chiming bell sound, then don't get 'em at all. But if you like slightly dead-sounding strings, elixirs are great, because they sound that way out of the box, and they last a looong time tonally, because they're coated. I like they way they play, too.
That's exactly my feeling about them.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:15 am

wedge wrote:The great thing about elixirs is that they sound "normal" from the get-go. They don't go through a few days of sounding like chiming bells, until settling into a natural tone. Of course, if you're into that chiming bell sound, then don't get 'em at all. But if you like slightly dead-sounding strings, elixirs are great, because they sound that way out of the box, and they last a looong time tonally, because they're coated. I like they way they play, too.
that's pretty much exactly what i'm looking for. i like getting a dry, woody sound out of an acoustic, without all the chimey string character covering up the actual tone.

looks like i'll have to try out some Elixirs. thanks, all!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:17 am

Call me wierd, but I tend to think that there will be a brand of strings that will sound best on an instrument.

That same brand of string may sound like ass on a different guitar.

On my Martin, the phosphor bronze mediums sounded the best of the different strings I tried.

The same strings totally didn't fly on the takamine I have.

Of course, actual milage may vary, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

ju