Les Paul Standard

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Les Paul Standard

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:51 am

I've got a few questions regarding new Les Paul Standards. First off what is a decent price for a new model. Also, I can't seem to find much about the "60's era neck" they talk about. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks!
Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:14 am

I don't want to be one of those people that gives different advice than what you're obviously asking for, but I'm gonna anyway. :D

Are you sure you want a BRAND NEW LP standard? Xmas present?

A "decent price for a new model" virtually doesn't exist, since pretty much all new Gibsons are overpriced. A decent price for a new model, for the level of quality, would be $900 in my opinion. Unfortunately you're not going to find one for any less than triple or at least double that.

I would seriously advise looking into early 90s Les Paul Standards if you want a late-model Standard. They don't sell for that much and QC was much more consistent in that time period than it is now. Early Henry era (around '85 to around '95) are not bad guitars. Quality started slipping slowly toward its present abysmal state after that though. Of course you just have to play a bunch and find the one you like no matter what.

The 60s "slim taper" neck is a skinnier neck. The '59 style neck is a bit beefier and has a rounded, C-shaped profile. It really does feel like the difference between a '50s Gibson neck and a '60s Gibson neck, if you have any experience in that regard. Doesn't feel exactly like those necks but the difference in size and 'heft' is comparable.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:28 am

Go for it-
I bought a 2003 LesPAul Standard 2 years ago on ebay for 1100 bucks.
Ebony w/nickel hardware, and also the 60's neck. I love it, I think they are making them better than ever these days compared to the late 70's and 80's which were bad times for Gibson. They sort of figured out what the best parts of a LesPaul's are and put it all together well. The 60's neck is wide but slimmer, the 50's neck is very chubby and rounder like a bat. I prefer the 60's neck which feels more modern.
The one small weak link is the keystone tuners which are completely useless. They are made in japan and don't stay in tune. I immediately put nickel Grovers on it and it was such an inprovement, looks cool and the extra weight on the hedstock gives tone and sustain.
Also the Burstbucker pro pickups are very nice, they have clarity and bite, very musical. Big sound, I had a 81' custom that sounded like a bucket of wet cement compared to this newer model standard.

I got mine mint for 1100, but new I think they are way overpriced, I would buy used if you can find one under 1300.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:48 am

TOKAI LOVE ROCK.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:51 am

Any advice I will take! There is a store with a very nice looking one for $1600. I have not actually played it yet however which of course will make or break it. I've mainly got Strats and a few other guitars for rock or jazz. I have literally played over 40 Les Pauls in the last 20 years and only found one that I loved. It was way too much though and I was just a kid.

I'm not at all opposed to buy used. (in fact I would prefer this) This guitar would be for jamming/gigging and also studio work. I am in no rush to buy anything yet too. Anyone in the area have one? :D

I really am only interested in Gold Top or Cherry Sunburst.

tom

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:53 am

Inverseroom,

I actually checked into those guitars based on a post of yours....very cool and I certainly would be interested...I only wish there was a place around I can play one first.

What would you say is better or more enjoyable about a Tokai versus a LP?

Tom

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:58 am

TV Lenny wrote:Inverseroom,

I actually checked into those guitars based on a post of yours....very cool and I certainly would be interested...I only wish there was a place around I can play one first.

What would you say is better or more enjoyable about a Tokai versus a LP?

Tom
It just seemed to me that I was getting more for my money. I feel as though my Love Rock, at $800, sounds and feels every bit as good as the $2K standards at my local music store. I hadn't gotten to try it out first obviously, and I couldn't have returned it without losing a lot of money. So it was a risk. But it really paid off. I got it from MIJ Guitar Hisashi on eBay and was super satisfied with the transaction.

I totally understand your wanting to actually play the damned thing first though!

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:13 pm

Last edited by ??????? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:21 pm

this reminds me, there's an extra interview on the DVD version of the recent (2003?) Les Paul docu where he pretty much comes out and says Gibson screwed up his design when they put it into production and then refused to ever fix it.

he gets fairly detailed about what he thinks they did wrong.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:33 pm

there are a few commonly known ones. First of all, the Les Paul Model (now the Les Paul Standard) was supposed to be all mahogany (no maple cap). The Les Paul Custom was supposed to have the maple cap. On the early Les Pauls, they reversed this and made the Custom all mahogany, and the LP Model with a maple cap. Current models have maple caps on both.

Then there was the whole SG debacle, where they changed the body style without asking him so he had them take his name off the guitars.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 pm

??????? wrote:
Then there was the whole SG debacle, where they changed the body style without asking him so he had them take his name off the guitars.
He also wanted to wait for his divorce to go through before he garnered any more profits through Gibson!

...I remember being 14 years old and seeing a "Les Paul Custom" SG in a glass case and being thoroughly confused for the next several years.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:49 pm

i think his biggest gripe had to do with the neck angle and how they'd raised the bridge so far above the front of the body.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:08 pm

RefD wrote:i think his biggest gripe had to do with the neck angle and how they'd raised the bridge so far above the front of the body.
On the Pauls or the SGs? I remember when I switched to a Les Paul from my original Electra it took some time to get used to that.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:27 pm

Sounds like I'll just be haunting the used shops until something "special" comes along. I have that Les Paul DVD...I'll have to find the interview tonight.

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:56 pm

Just my 2 cents.....

Gibson QC sucks. I've played TONS of LP's and only 2 of them really 'spoke' to me, and both of those were kind of a pain to keep up. Intonation/action seemed to drift more than any other guitars.
When they were on, they sounded great. One of them was a 92. It was my fav. I agree with the poster above, early 90s are the best deals.

Now, you may not want to hear this, and many people will disagree, but check out a PRS SC245. This is not like any other PRS, and to me it is the LP sound I've always wanted. Plus, the QC/setup/intonation etc are second to none. Killer guitar.
Plus, you can get a new one cheaper than a new LP.
Before all the PRS haters jump in, all I say is...try one.
peace