4-track help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RARARYAN
audio school

4-track help

Post by RARARYAN » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:39 am

i just got a simple tascam 4-track and am wondering if it's possible to consolidate 2 or 3 of the tracks onto one. i'm pretty sure that isn't a built-in function, anybody?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:52 am

which model?

most of them let you bounce tracks (the term for what you seem to be describing) but how you go about it can vary a little.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:49 am

on most of them, you can do it manually too. like:

setup the mix you want of the tracks you're bouncing
record enable the empty track
plug in a cable from the output of the 4 track to the input of the empty track (or route the input to the empty track)
make sure you're not hearing the new track as you record (feedback loop)
hit record

if your 4 track has aux outputs, it's simpler to send the tracks out that output and into the new one track. then if you keep the aux turned down on the new track, you can monitor as you go.

You sorta wanna print as hot as you can to the new track. you might also want to boost the high eq on the tracks your bouncing while they're bouncing. Since tape hiss will be adding up, this'll allow you to turn the high eq down on the new track. that'll reduce the hiss build up and return your original tracks back to thier normal amount of treble. takes some experimenting to figure out the amounts. it's late, I hope that made sense.

will

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:37 am

Boy does THAT ever bring back memories...

painful, painful memories...

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:42 am

Don't forget the other trick -

Record all four tracks - bass, voice, guitar, maracas, for example - then mix those all to your mixdown deck. Start with a new, fresh cassette and record the master back into track one. Now you have four instruments on 1 track, and three empty tracks.

RARARYAN
audio school

Post by RARARYAN » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:18 pm

thanks for the adviceses, sorry i took so long to reply back. my four track is a tascam MF-P01, so there is no bounce function and the only mixing i can do is volume and pan.
syrupcore wrote:on most of them, you can do it manually too. like:

setup the mix you want of the tracks you're bouncing
record enable the empty track
plug in a cable from the output of the 4 track to the input of the empty track (or route the input to the empty track)
hit record
i tried this, but i don't think i can mute the input. i can turn the volume of the empty track down, but i'm pretty sure that the input is still monitored.
swelle wrote:Don't forget the other trick -

Record all four tracks - bass, voice, guitar, maracas, for example - then mix those all to your mixdown deck. Start with a new, fresh cassette and record the master back into track one. Now you have four instruments on 1 track, and three empty tracks.
i assume that a mixdown deck is just a second tape recorder. if not, that's my only option with my 4track. i saw a video on youtube that said you could bounce tracks using a hi-fi VCR. i think this means recording onto a vhs cassette from the 4track, and then recording back onto the 4track on tracks 1 & 2 as two stereo tracks. i bought an $8 hi-fi VCR at goodwill, but haven't tried it yet. i'll let you know what happens when i do.