70's Fender Twin Reverb with a question mark.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thespacebetweenthings
audio school

Post by thespacebetweenthings » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:17 pm

I'll listen to it again tonight (the hiss) i did notice it on a few recordings I did. and also check the heat coming out of that thing. If it's going to cost me I'll find out how much and perhaps talk him down. I kind of told him earlier I'll take it so now i'm in a weird spot. but anyway.

appreciate your thoughts.

ch.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:00 pm

I have an early 80's Fender Twin. I had trouble with it and rarely used it for years. Found a good amp tech who did a partial recap, changed the circuitry to Blackface specs, took out the master vol, put in new JJ tubes. Amp is great now. Original speakers died, so I put in some British Series Carvin(Eminence USA) speakers. The tech first turned his nose up at the Carvin 12's but changed his mind when he heard it.

A properly set-up and working 70's-80's silverface Twin is far better than a new reissue Twin, which from the store sounds loud, cold and hard. Thing is, a Twin does what it does, you either want it or you don't.
Buy a used tube amp, be prepared to service it and replace tubes or speakers or whatever. Things cost $, and rarely is anything good that's free or cheap.

If you want a lot of sounds, tones & efx, buy a Line6 or Crate digital modelling amp and be happy.