That DIY omni project - advice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jpp
alignin' 24-trk

That DIY omni project - advice?

Post by Jpp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:14 pm

About to get the Panasonic-omni-in-a-Neutrik-jack project going this weekend, and while my soldering chops are fine for guitar pickups and pots, I am a little intimidated by the microphone capsule - the connections on that are so darn tiny! Seems like it would be all too easy to accidentally get some solder from the + on the - connection. Any tips? I know... "be careful, you dolt!"

The rest looks pretty straight ahead and I am looking forward to having fun with it!

Jpp

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:41 pm

Jpp,

When I made mine, it didn't work at first. It was my first DIY project, so I thought to myself, "I told you this was too hard!". After a couple of minutes of fiddling around with it, I realized that I did exactly what you're talking about.

The solder had just barely touched the case, thus shorting it out. Rather than getting in there with my iron and mucking it up even worse, I carefully scraped at it with a razor blade. Like magic, it was alive!

For how cheap they are to make, they really do sound pretty bad-ass. Very life-like.

Also, if you don't already know, there's some info out there on getting these to work with phantom and there's a mod ("Linkwitz mod" I think) for the capsule itself.

Good luck -AE

Jpp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jpp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:31 pm

Thanks for the reply - good to know, I'll keep the ol' x-acto knife handy!

It also seemed to me that I'll be connecting the output jack and the mic capsule and then pushing the capsule UP through the rubber sleeve (appropriately trimmed after test-fitting), right? Or perhaps the better way to go would be to attach leads to the capsule, thread those DOWN through the rubber part, get the capsule in place, and wrangle the wiring at the other end.

And so on...

Jpp

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:45 pm

My advice: Get some small gauge wire to make the capule connection. I started by trying to use the regular hookup wire that I use on everything else, and that wire is about as thick as those pads on the capsule are wide. Makes for an ungainly connection, and you have to heat the wire up with your iron way more than what the tiny metal pad on the capsule wants to deal with.

I still have a bunch of these capsules to Linkwitz mod and wire up... it's been on the back burner for so long.

Leigh