SCAM ALERT

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:14 am

What makes this so easy to fall for, is that your bank may make the funds available to you, and later, once discovering that it is bogus take it back.

Bottom line is, if it sounds to good to be true....

toddpipes
pluggin' in mics

Post by toddpipes » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:43 am

the initial money comes from a stolen credit card number which gets deposited and by the time the company has tracked you down, you've already wired part of the money to someone else. . .leaving you to reimburse the credit card for the total amount. . .

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:40 pm

rydberg wrote:Got this from a friend today:

"I think you should be aware of this scam. A "heads up" for those of you who may be regular Home Depot customers.
Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic.
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:
Two seriously good-looking 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping items into the trunk.
They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their chest almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.
When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you for a ride to another Home Depot or Lowe's.
You agree and they get in the back seat. On the way, they start undressing.
Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen November 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, & 24th.
Also December 1st, 3rd, twice on the 7th, three times just yesterday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful."
I actually snorted while I laughed at this one.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:31 pm

"I made him repeat what he was saying three times...because a lot of what he was sent to jail for...I do every single day."

Anyone?

toddpipes
pluggin' in mics

Post by toddpipes » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:50 am

i am monster face wrote:"I made him repeat what he was saying three times...because a lot of what he was sent to jail for...I do every single day."

Anyone?
The Office. . .brilliant!

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:15 pm

ha ha Kevin. Scrantonicity... what a great concept.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:12 pm

And now for the lighter side of potentially life-destroying scams...

http://www.419eater.com

...HA!

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:49 am

rydberg wrote:Got this from a friend today:

"I think you should be aware of this scam. A "heads up" for those of you who may be regular Home Depot customers.
Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic.
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:
Two seriously good-looking 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping items into the trunk.
They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their chest almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.
When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you for a ride to another Home Depot or Lowe's.
You agree and they get in the back seat. On the way, they start undressing.
Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen November 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, & 24th.
Also December 1st, 3rd, twice on the 7th, three times just yesterday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful."
:rofl:
I'm all about a little kick and snare

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:07 am

Anthony Caruso wrote:And now for the lighter side of potentially life-destroying scams...

http://www.419eater.com

...HA!
The guy that runs this site was interviewed on "The Story" on NPR yesterday. He's totally my hero, and some of the stuff he coerced the scammers into doing is absolutely priceless.

Making them video tape themselves doing reinactments of Monty Python skit's... I mean, come on. Brilliant.

Ultrastudio
ass engineer

Post by Ultrastudio » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Wow. This happened to me a couple weeks ago! I got an e-mail from a guy, supposedly in London, UK who calls himself Byron Toppin. He wanted to send a Thai jazz band to Cincinnati to record. If that isn't strange enough, he also mentioned that they wanted to overdub all their parts individually.

Of course, I quoted him the full+ rate since it was already sounding like a potential nightmare session. Then he wanted to send me a check and have me pay the translator for him. I declined, mainly for tax reasons. He asked a couple more times. I offered to hand deliver a check to the translator but I was clear that I wasn't going to pay them.

Anyway, I never heard back after that. Then about a week later I got the exact same inquiry - word for word - from the same Byron Toppin but this time from a different e-mail address. Total scam.
My studio link is http://www.ultrastudio.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Yep, have gotten that same email twice from the same guy and a few other ones from other people as well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

asylumdigital
pushin' record

Post by asylumdigital » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Yeah, Byron Toppin won't stop emailing me. LOL. About once every two weeks.
peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com
http://www.twitter.com/scottslagle

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:53 am

trodden wrote:i don't think it works.
Ehrrm... it doesn't work with just anybody.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:29 am

That's too bad - Byron Toppin is such a great name.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:15 am

I had a guy trying to buy some audio gear I was selling on craigslist for more than the asking price. His email was really bizarre and kept saying things like "the product" etc. rather than audio-specific words. He wanted to pay with a certified cheque, of course.

I replied simply that I would love to sell it, but that he'd have to come pick it up in person. I also mentioned that his email was kind of bizarre and I couldn't really understand most of it, so he should call me.

Him: I can't call you cause I'm deaf.

Me: What is a deaf person going to do with all this *sound recording* gear?

I'm sure that the deaf thing usually gets some sympathy and understanding though... what an asshole.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!