SCAM ALERT

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

toddpipes
pluggin' in mics

SCAM ALERT

Post by toddpipes » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:53 am

Has anyone had studio enquiries from overseas? BEWARE--it's the same scam as the 'my brother was the king of Zamunda, let me put $100,000 into your account. . .' only on a smaller scale. these people ask all the right questions, they'll send deposits, whatever you ask, and then ask if you can pay a translator or the band's producer as a direct wire from your account, so that they don't have C.C.#'s floating around. . . :evil:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:46 pm

I got a real weird one about three weeks ago. When I got the reply from my email answering their questions, it was totally bizarre, so I blew it off.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:11 am

When in doubt, just ask them for a link to the band's website. That generally shuts them down.
-Pete

www.weissy.com
www.weisstronauts.com
www.verdantstudio.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:21 am

so you guys are saying i shouldn't have sent them all that money?

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Gummy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 am

Or all my gear?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:05 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:so you guys are saying i shouldn't have sent them all that money?
no, but thanks! :^:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:26 am

why you.....

*benny hill style chase scene ensues*

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 am

I got one where somebody in Africa wanted to distrubute Third Monk Records CDs and they were going to send me $50,000 and they wanted me to refund the difference of what it would cost for 1000 cds. Incredible and Third Monk did not take the offer.

Who would? It's called money laundering and that gets you jailtime!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:56 am

@?,*???&? wrote:I got one where somebody in Africa wanted to distrubute Third Monk Records CDs and they were going to send me $50,000 and they wanted me to refund the difference of what it would cost for 1000 cds. Incredible and Third Monk did not take the offer.

Who would? It's called money laundering and that gets you jailtime!
It would be called "money laundering" if they actually ever intended to really send you ANY money. But, they didn't, so it's just fraud. It's perfectly legal for you to be the victim of fraud! No jail time!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:17 am

I've often wondered what would happen in those types of scams if they did send you the money and you just kept all of it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

we thought we would get a million dollars

Post by the finger genius » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:09 pm

these men are cowards, donny.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: we thought we would get a million dollars

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:28 pm

the finger genius wrote:these men are cowards, donny.
*picks bit of nihilist ear from between teeth*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:31 pm

Got this from a friend today:

"I think you should be aware of this scam. A "heads up" for those of you who may be regular Home Depot customers.
Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic.
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:
Two seriously good-looking 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping items into the trunk.
They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their chest almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.
When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you for a ride to another Home Depot or Lowe's.
You agree and they get in the back seat. On the way, they start undressing.
Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen November 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, & 24th.
Also December 1st, 3rd, twice on the 7th, three times just yesterday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:03 pm

rydberg wrote:Got this from a friend today:

"I think you should be aware of this scam. A "heads up" for those of you who may be regular Home Depot customers.
Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic.
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:
Two seriously good-looking 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping items into the trunk.
They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their chest almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.
When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you for a ride to another Home Depot or Lowe's.
You agree and they get in the back seat. On the way, they start undressing.
Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen November 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, & 24th.
Also December 1st, 3rd, twice on the 7th, three times just yesterday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful."
ahahaha awesome.

*rides bike to home depot*

i don't think it works.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 am

I've often wondered what would happen in those types of scams if they did send you the money and you just kept all of it.
No, the point of the scam is that you never really get the money in the first place. They will typically send a bogus cashier's check and ask you to send part of it back immediately when you get it.

It's gotten so bad that most banks will no longer make funds available from cashier's checks until the check clears. I despise Paypal but I use it because it's fairly difficult to scam their system. You can't even accept a cashier's check from somebody anymore unless you know them personally.

To my knowledge it's not possible to fake a wire transfer so if they really wire money into your account I think the transaction would have to be legit. I've never heard of anyone actually receiving the money in their account but if I'm wrong, please correct me.