Who masters for vinyl? And who still presses it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

b3groover
deaf.

Who masters for vinyl? And who still presses it?

Post by b3groover » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:30 pm

The topic title is self-explanatory. In this day and age I think it is important to offer fans something more than a CD, which has become disposable. So I'm thinking of doing our next release on vinyl.

Are there any affordable mastering engineers that still know how to master for vinyl? And are there any good pressing plants left in the US?

Thanks!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Shields
audio school graduate

Post by Shields » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:38 pm

I work for a indie CD replication company (Discmakers). Anytime we get calls for vinyl, we refer them to United Record Pressing.

http://www.urpressing.com/

It's the only company I know of.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:42 pm

Thanks. I looked at their website after going through the Discmakers site. I don't see any option for printed jackets, just black or white blank jackets. The price for the actual vinyl, however, is not bad.
www.organissimo.org

modernkicks
alignin' 24-trk

Post by modernkicks » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:15 pm

I've put out a fair amount of vinyl, so here goes:

Carl Saff is awesome and cheap, cheap, cheap for mastering. From what I hear, he is also an extremely nice, down-to-earth guy.

United is good, and just about the cheapest place around. Pirate's Press is great, willing to do some CRAZY colors/combos, but more expensive (www.piratespress.com) I've been going through a place called Musicol, because they are cheap on low runs, but their customer service is just shy of non-existant. They are, first and foremost, a recording studio. But they do a good job and are fast enough.

For jackets/inserts, DEFINITELY go through Imprint (www.iloveimprint.com) or JAK Prints (www.jakprints.com)! Cheap, fast, friendly, and damn good quality...both of 'em.

For pressing, there's also Erika records and a bunch of others that I don't have any experience with.

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:28 pm

grinningidiot
audio school graduate

Post by grinningidiot » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:33 pm

My few experiences were with United and have no complaints. We had the art printed elsewhere. Check out their seasonal deals, they're usually pretty good, like they'll do Red vinyl cheaper during Valentines Day, I think they did Green and Yellow mix for spring last year.

I know people who have dealt with http://www.musicolrecording.com/vinyl/index.html and had good things to say, I believe Warren is the dude in charge.

Also a quick search turned up http://www.recordpressing.com/

I've used Saff Mastering a few times, nothing for vinyl though. But if I did have another vinyl project, I wouldn't hesitate to go to him, he does awesome work and is super nice.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:25 pm

Wow, thanks for the help, everybody! This is exactly the info I was looking for.
www.organissimo.org

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:29 pm

John Golden has extensive experience in mastering for vinyl. The results are solid.

Bob Weston has just started doing this.

Either they or any other reputable vinyl mastering house should be able to give you good insight into manufacturer.

I am to understand that the best place in the world to get your vinyl done is Abbey Road. You will pay for it, though.

= Justin

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Lacquer Channel here in Toronto made their name mastering for vinyl.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:08 pm

Almost every record I have done this year was mastered for CD and for vinyl. I usually send them to Doug Van Sloun of Focus Mastering/Studio B. He's done most of my stuff and generally makes me sound like I really know what I am doing. He's also a super pleasant guy.

Ian

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:23 am

Although not for vinyl, I've dealt with both John and JJ Golden; they know their stuff. John's been mastering for vinyl for a long time.

Definately check them out.

-AE

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:05 am

Paul Gold did a great job on a double 7"... fully analog process, 2" to 1/4" to vinyl.... no computers! yay! the only digital thing was a PCM41 on one song. he is 'salt mastering'...

TruTone is great. Joe Lambert did a great job cutting the acetates for the Phonograph EP.

United SUCKS. They were a nightmare, and did a terrible job transferring a master for me, we tried to do white vinyl, but we got 500 warped records that had to all be re pressed, and claimed that white was 'too hard to work with' (WTF, I have a bunch of great white vinyl) so we went with black, which were pressed fine.... anyway, find someone else... maybe Rainbo, TruTone, Brooklyn Phono...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:34 am

a lot has already been said in this thread, but to add, Don Grossinger does great working for vinyl mastering. not the cheapest, but way, way, way faster than golden. i like golden's work a lot, but waiting 5 weeks to get it cut at times is a bit of a bummer.

i am curious to try bob weston, though

also, i have run my share of diy record labels over the years and we printed a bunch of stuff with imprint. yeah, they're cheap and super nice and accomodating, but i was never very impressed with the quality. any time a release was pressed in europe or australia, the printing always looked better there.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:05 am

I'm very surprised that nobody has mentioned Tony Dawsey up at Masterdisk in NYC.. he's the best vinyl master cutter I've heard to this point... though if they still have a lathe up at Sterling you might want to give Ted Jensen a shout... he used to cut some serious vinyl.

I have no idea about manufacturing... but for the mastering part Tony would be my first call... as always, YMMV.

Peace.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:18 am

A few years ago I did a split 7" and went to aardvark for the mastering http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/ who then sent the plates to united. we got a great deal on everything and when all was said and done i think we stayed right around $1 each for 300 singles.