Auralex or 703?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:40 am

How about this: :idea: taking the paneling down off my walls and fitting 703 in between the studs (2"? 4"?) and then covering the walls with fabric (muslin?) instead of putting up the paneling again.

How about if I just use this http://www.greenmakersupply.com/product ... page_id=66 behind the muslin and then use 703 for corners or something?

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:35 pm

I used the ultratouch cotton and all i did was make a frame out of 1x4 and bought a bunch of cheap thin sheets from a junk store for 50 cents each and wrapped em tight, everything stays in its place and I think i made eight two foot by four foot panels for something like 60 or 75 bucks, I'm very happy with em.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:31 pm

kento, that would work. Ultratouch is a great absorber. But you will want to watch out that you don't make the room too dead. You can use 703 in the corners, or just double up on the Ultratouch for the corners. Either will work.

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:38 pm

I used the ultratouch cotton and all i did was make a frame out of 1x4 and bought a bunch of cheap thin sheets from a junk store for 50 cents each and wrapped em tight, everything stays in its place and I think i made eight two foot by four foot panels for something like 60 or 75 bucks, I'm very happy with em.
Do you happen to have any pics of the finished panels?

Would these work as regular absorber panels throughout the room? Or would I run the risk of completely deadening it?

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:32 am

ken

Taking the panelling off your walls and putting rock wool in there (or 703) but for the price, i'd use rockwool... yields marvelous results!

I've worked pretty extensively in a couple different rooms that have their stud cavities filled with both mineral fiber then covered in fabric.... AND 703 then covered in fabric..... and both work great!

It's difficult to say if there is a huge difference in one material over another sound wise since the two spaces are very differently configured. The rockwool walls are in a room that has 12+ feet of ceiling height where the 703 walled room is more like 8'.

BUT the result is about the same: what you get is a sense of space, but almost no immediate reflections to create problems. The other benefit is a dramatic reduction in low frequency bumps.

Both are fine things to have... However... you don't get a lot of "sound-profing" out of this scenario....

I wouldn't worry about your room being "too dead" unless it's a very small space. As far as turning an existing structure into studio space it's a good rule of thumb to "take the room out of the equation".

Otherwise you're going to fight the room and wind up geting yourself into some rather dramatic construction....to help solve the acoustic problems the space has.

good luck!

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:47 am

I just used some recycled cotton to make 27 2'x4' absorbers. Used 1x3 knotty pine for the frame, simpson brackets fro the corners - cheaper than L brackets in many cases and easier to assemble, covered the front and back with landscape fabric, and covered the front in regular fabric. Look great, and sound even better!

The trick to using the cotton in these things is to staple all the edges of the cotton to the wood frame Otherwise you will have saggy panels that are less effective...

PS - the brand of cotton I used was called insulcot. Got it for $0.53 per sq ft. Almost as cheap as rockwool, and no smell or health concerns during installation!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:30 pm

okay, I give up. What is a simpson bracket? I can't find any information on them anywhere.

-marc alan

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Marcocet wrote:okay, I give up. What is a simpson bracket? I can't find any information on them anywhere.

-marc alan

Oops! Simpson is a company that make all sorts of metal brackets for foundations, decking, structural stuff.

http://www.strongtie.com

The bracket I used was about 4"x4" and had several pre-drilled holes. About the same price as an L bracket, but a bit easier to work with.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:02 pm

Awesome. Thanks! I'm building some frames for ultratouch R19 tomorrow out of 1x6's. Now all I need to do is figure out how to hang them on the weird walls at my new place (the walls already have rigid fiberglass covering them entirely....)

-marc alan goodman

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:07 pm

chorga1 wrote: PS - the brand of cotton I used was called insulcot. Got it for $0.53 per sq ft. Almost as cheap as rockwool, and no smell or health concerns during installation!
Which insulcot did you use? I can get a roll of 24" and about 2-3" thick (R13)-- 80sf total - for about $50 locally which seems to be pretty cheap (I should be able to build at least 3 or 4 - 2'x4'x4" bass traps with this).

thanks, Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:58 pm

well, I just bought 160sf (2 rolls) of this stuff so I'll report back in awhile. I have some (what I think are) good ideas to try so will let y'all know how it goes.

Mike
Mike

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:55 pm

Good luck Mike, let us know how it goes.....

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:53 pm

Hey Guys,
Don't mean to de-rail, but do these designs work better than LENRDS?
Is it just a lot cheaper?
I'm moving soon, and I'm going to have to do some serious treatment to my new room. 8 ft. ceilings, pretty small rooms.
I'm gonna need some serious bass trap-age. :)

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:10 pm

so here's what I did so far...

Insulcot Rolls (hammer is just for reference of size)

13 linear feet unrolled

$5 Laundry Bags from WallyWorld

Bass Bags these are sort of like the "superchunk", but maybe more appropriately named "superfuzz". this stuff looks like someone collected dryer lint for years, then assembled it into a roll...

I still have much more work to go but I have noticed a little difference just from stuffing these two bags into two corners. it was incredibly easy and I'm not itching from head to toe!

Mike
Mike

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:00 am

Sorry I didn't reply to your early post.

I used Insulcot - just the standard R-13 stuff - which says expands to 3.5 inches thick, but for practical purposes it's more like 2.5 inches thick.

That a great, and quick idea to just stuff it into laundry bags! Waaay less time than I spent.

Once I get my panels wrapped I'll upload a coupla pics!