Sonar 7 vs. Tracktion 3

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

getreel
carpal tunnel

Sonar 7 vs. Tracktion 3

Post by getreel » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:37 am

I know this may be an odd matchup, but these are the two that I'm torn between. I like Sonar because it has the mix view and a built in step sequencer, but Tracktion seems to sound better with the drum samples I'm triggering with MIDI. I think it could be that Tracktion handles everything as stereo pairs by default and Sonar gives me every track from the "virtual drums". It may be that I'm not panning the samples correctly in Sonar and in Tracktion, it's done for me. Not sure. Also, Blockfish seems to sound less than stellar in Sonar but sounds fine like I always remember it in Tracktion. Tacktion is overall a little easier to use, but it seem to mess up my MIDI loops if I drag them to make them repeat. Sonar does this perfectly. It could be my own fault as I'm new to using the DAW every day but have been recording using analog, DA-88s and ADATS for years. What are your opinions on these two? Pros and cons of each? I've been trying Sonar at a friends studio, but I own Tracktion. Would it be worth it to get Sonar?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:18 am

If MIDI was super important to me, I would go with Sonar. I'm sure you can configure your drum samples so that they output to a stereo bus...weird about Blockfish though. Maybe the FX busses in Sonar are preset to 50/50 or something?

I love T3, but I've never used a midi loop in my life...and MIDIists seem to really bitch about it.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:41 am

I'm only using loops and samples for drums for lack of any good drummers lately. I would play the drums on everything myself if I could, but I'm only good enough to play some of the stuff I want to hear. I have to program the rest. I just find Tracktion easier and faster to get around in. Sonar is growing on me more and more...dang, I just know I'm gonna have to spend more $$ now. I could also desperately use a MIDI interface with drums pads.
that would be so much easier than the grid or step sequencer.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:57 am

Well, for a while, I was using the MIDI editor to play drum parts with a pad controller, and then fixing up the individual hits, and that worked great. I was using drum software, Addictive Drums. I never had problems. Nowadays I just use real drums, or my Machinedrum.

The MIDI problems are received wisdom--I never encountered them. But I would never have more than 1 midi track going at once.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Re: Sonar 7 vs. Tracktion 3

Post by Phiz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:02 am

getreel wrote:Blockfish seems to sound less than stellar in Sonar but sounds fine like I always remember it in Tracktion.
I frequently use Blockfish in Sonar v4 and have never had problem.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:11 am

There are about 1 milion reasons I like Sonar better, but I can also tell you that I believe that Sonar sounds much better. One of the few apps that I can tell a difference in the sound when it comes to DAW packages.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:13 am

+1 Sonar.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:39 am

I'm finding that I really like Sonar. It was a bit more intimidating than Tracktion at first. I still have no idea why Blockfish sounds odd though. What I've tried to use it with is Sonar 7 Producer Edition at another studio so that could account for it sounding odd. Although it did sound different in my headphones that I brought also. I'm running it at 16/44.1 too so that can't be it. Is Blockfish 16/44.1 only or does it support 24/48 or 24/96? Blockfish also sounds just fine in Reaper when I've tried it. I'll try to work with Sonar some more...
Both really seem like worthy apps though.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:44 am

Blockfish does 24bits, I don't know about higher sampling rates. Perhaps you had the "complex" button engaged in Tracktion but not Sonar? That makes a substantial difference in the sound.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:04 pm

Sonar is a very deep application. One very helpful tool for me was Scott Garrigus' Sonar Power books, I think the one for v7 just came out, or will be out shortly.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:46 pm

I use tracktion 3 and have only ever tried a sonar demo some time ago.
One thing about Tracktion3 is, that unlike Tracktion 2, it is still a bit buggy, especially on macs. Im on a PC and the problems Ive encountered with T3 are "poof" crashes where it will just shut down and go to desktop for no reason. If you check the tracktion forums you'll see many others have experienced this. I havent had one in months but it usre was unpleasant when i did. Oddly the demo functioned just fine, but within a half hour of using the boxed version was "poofing". Man thats sound gay.

It somewhat pains me to not be able to fully recommend Tracktion anymore as I love the workflow and think my recordings in it sound quite good (Im no digital corksniffer tho).

I also hear people complaining about the midi editing in T3 being worse than most other DAWS but again, I wouldnt have anything to compare it to and dont do a ton of midi editing anyway.
me make purty musick!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:08 pm

I had those crashes in T2, but not T3 so far! I'm on a PC though.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:58 pm

hmm.. thats odd. T2 was rock solid on me and never crashed , not even once. Well I am glad T3 is working well for you...its pretty stable for me these days too. I'm also on a PC.
me make purty musick!

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Re: Sonar 7 vs. Tracktion 3

Post by roygbiv » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:07 pm

I feel compelled to insert my obligatory Reaper plug.

For me, it is much easier to grok than Traction - more of a Tape Deck feel I guess, to exploit those old Tape Deck trained neurons still left in my noggin (note - I haven't tried Sonar).

Also, at only $40 for a registered copy, you have enough money left over to upgrade your computer.

Now back to your original thread - and sorry for the unrequested proselytizing (is there ever such a thing as requested proselytizing? Hmmm).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:20 am

No, it seems to me Reaper is a totally good alternative.

Ultimately it's the "tapedeckiness" that I like about T3. Sonar is certainly deeper and more versatile, but I am not looking for versatility, I'm just looking for simplicity and stability. One screen, one way of working, no obscure troubles.