PSP...Massey...or Sonalksis.. or waves?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ged84
audio school

PSP...Massey...or Sonalksis.. or waves?

Post by ged84 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:19 pm

Lookin to buy some new plug-ins....i heard good stuff about these...any suggestions...price range around 1000-2000

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:24 pm

You can buy every single massey plug for that price and never once regret not opting to deal with the pain, frustration, and rip-off-ed-ness of purchasing Waves plugins.

Plus you're supporting a really nice guy who responds to e-mails super fast and creates all his plugins by himself (I think).

I love every plugin he has come up with. I LOVE the EQ and the L2007. I use it to smash shit. Yes. Oh, yes.

Ian

ged84
audio school

Post by ged84 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:28 pm

ya hear and gear slutz seem to rave about his stuff....pretty cheap too...prob do that

Tabnetic
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Tabnetic » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:46 pm

yeah, +1 for the Massey...so long as you want RTAS. The sonalksis stuff I also have, and use from time to time. It's super dependable when you want a plug (eq specifically) to do what it does, without necessarily leaving its own sonic characteristic behind.

Hmm. Massey L2007 to "smash shit?" I gotta try that....sounds like a good idea.

Waves, is, of course, waves. They sound good, but are overpriced in my opinion and upgradability is what kept me from keeping up with them. It got too expensive. I hear good things about the API and SSL stuff from Waves, but I always felt that for the price of those plugs I could *almost* afford an SSL comp, Smart C2 or API 2500 in its real-life form and that its not worth it.

Have you checked out Wavearts stuff? They are good, too.

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:25 am

I only have the vintage warmer, but I see psp stuff on a lot of people's list. It was one of the best 150 or so bucks I've spent. I love what it does when used with taste.
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:15 am

Another +1 for the Massey's. I haven't found much use for the EQ but his tape delay plug-in is awesome.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:51 am

What do you have now? Knowing nothing about your setup, I'd recommend:

All the Massey plugs, PSP Vintage Warmer, and some of the URS stuff. You're still well under your budget if you're on a native system. Get some more stuff!

I'll assume you're on PT because you're looking at the massey stuff. Sure, the Sonalisks EQ might sound a little bit better than the DIGI EQIII, but I think buying it would be a redundant and inefficient use of your resources.

As much as I dislike Waves business model, the Renaissance bundle is still handy to have, even after all these years.

You might also consider going on ebay and buying some ilok authorizations on the cheap. There are a couple of decent, common BF plugs and the like that routinely sell for $20-$50 plus the iLok transfer fee. It can be a cheap way to try out a few more tones, and you can always resell them for your purchase price if they don't float your boat.

If you're on HD, the UAD stuff is great, but if you're on LE, it's not worth the pain in the ass.

I love the URS EQs, but I wouldn't waste too much time on their comps until they get them right! You might check out the CSP, or the A-series, N-series and Fulltec EQ's.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:22 am

Hi Guys

As a cheap-ass Reaper user, I've been pretty impressed with some of these VST plugins from Stillwell audio - especially for the price ($25-$50).

Specifically, the "Vibe-EQ", for dirty fun:

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=34

And the "Transient Monster", to give your drums back some cojones after suffering the injustice of digital recording:

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=18

Best part - very simplistic interface, and you can demo them first with only a nag screen to bother you.

roy
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:16 pm

roygbiv wrote:Hi Guys

As a cheap-ass Reaper user, I've been pretty impressed with some of these VST plugins from Stillwell audio - especially for the price ($25-$50).

Specifically, the "Vibe-EQ", for dirty fun:

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=34

And the "Transient Monster", to give your drums back some cojones after suffering the injustice of digital recording:

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=18

Best part - very simplistic interface, and you can demo them first with only a nag screen to bother you.

roy
+1 on this. I use ProTools, but have a VST wrapper, so I've used these, and like 'em a lot...

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:48 pm

+1 on the Wave Arts stuff.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:00 pm

not in PT, so I've never used the massey stuff. Never used the waves stuff either, but I have all the sonalksis stuff and the 1970s comps from urs. The sonalksis is more transparent. I love their EQ. It has a spectrum analyzer built right into it and it is easy to cut with. I use the URS for color and love it. If I had to choose, I'd go with the sonalksis in a second. I like it on my master buss too and keep it there all the time and mix to it.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:08 pm

PSP Vintage Warmer and Lexicon Plugs are fabulous and well worth the money.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Post by GoatKnuckles » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:47 pm

I use the vintage warmer on everything, I also highly reccomend the API plug ins, easily the cleanest and quietest eq's i've ever used.
GYM CLASS HEROES/LADYBIRDS INC.
for Session Work on Keyboards/Programming/Guitar/Bass

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:43 pm

You might look at TriTone Digital stuff. Their stuff doesn't 'smash shit' but does a very nice job of shaping the sound and putting it where you want it.

Some very good sounding plugs.

I use PC but would love to try some of the Masey plug-ins.
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:02 pm

bap wrote:I use PC but would love to try some of the Masey plug-ins.
You can. I use PC. You just need ProTools...