Boss Pedals: fixing on/off switch

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Boss Pedals: fixing on/off switch

Post by Trem2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:14 am

Damn Boss pedals.

I think I now have 3 of them with unreliable switches that don't like to always turn on or off when you step on em.

Especially lame is when I go to take a guitar solo and my Metal Zone doesn't turn on with the first click. Turns what should be a guitar solo into a tap dancing solo.

Anyone had any success fixing these switches? are parts available to chumps like me ?

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:15 am

Well, the first thing I would do is to take the top pedal part off until you can actually SEE the momentary switch that is activated by stepping on the pedal, and squirt some contact cleaner like DeOxit in there and cycle the switch a few times. If that doesn't help, then I'm not much help either as I've never encountered that problem and I don't own any BOSS pedals. Sorry. :cry:

jabe
studio intern

Post by jabe » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:02 am

I've fixed a couple of Boss switches before. Try shorting the two poles of the switch with a jumper; if the pedal turns on/off reliably that way, then it's just a bad switch. You can find replacements at Small Bear Electronics (http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=36).
If the switching is still flaky when using a jumper, then something's gone bad in the actual switching circuit, possibly a capacitor. Ouch.
My money's on bad switches.

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:39 pm

great- thanks for the link.