A call for pro tools help (again)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

A call for pro tools help (again)

Post by vibesof20hz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:17 pm

I have a digi 001 running on windows XP. I just built a new computer just for audio that has the following:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Socket AM2 BOX CPU
- Lite-On LH-20A1P SuperAllwrite DVD Burner - blahblah blah
- Maxtor Ultra 160GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-150, Retail
- MSI K9MM-V Motherboard - Via, Socket AM2, MicroATX, Audio, Video, AGP 8x, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA, RAID
- US Modular 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory

Here is the problem...... I can open and run my most complex, or most minimal sessions with no issues, i can open 20 copies of Rverb with no problem! its great! however, after 5 or 10 minutes i get this......
When i have my hardware Buffer at 512 i get error (-9093):
?The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this often occurs, try increasing the hardware buffer size.?

So, i increase my hardware buffer, and within 2 seconds of playback i get error (-9129):
?Audio processing is conflicting with other PCU tasks. Reduce the hardware buffer size.?

I get these errors no matter how large or small the session i am running. It also happens with a session on an internal or external drive. So, as it stands now, i can only use my computer for a few seconds of playback or recording at a time without one of these errors. I tried the following:

- new pci slot
- new icq for that pci slot
- disabled everything that has to do with the internet, printing and all other non essentials.
- i created a new hardware profile even though there should have been no conflicts
- my hard drive is set for DMA, and is still set to enable DMA
- the hard drive is also set for the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
- visual performance is set to ?adjust for best performance?
- Raid is disabled, even though that shouldnt matter
- checked for any and all compatibility issues, there are none.

I have run out of things to try. does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this issue? Any and all comments are welcome and most appreciated.

thanks
Last edited by vibesof20hz on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:45 pm

What external drive are you using?

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:59 pm

I have a 150Gb my book via USB. however, Its been disconnected throughout most of the troubleshooting just to simplify things. Also, i should note that there are two internal drives of the type i have listed above.

thaks

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:32 pm

Are those hard drives on the supported list?

Before I trashed my old setup and started my new studio job, I had the exact same motherboard and processor you had.

I'll check out compatibility for you if you let me know what version of PT you are running.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:36 pm

If I recall correctly, that is a hard drive related issue. Either way, those should be supported hard drives. I'm not certain, so let's try this...

Have you done the AMD dualcore hotfix?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 18,00.html

that could possibly help you.

Ian

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:31 pm

I tried the link you posted. I have been mixing for the past 20 min, and i have not yet encountered any error. As far as i can tell, this issue has been resolved... after over 15 hours of searching, trying everything i can find, even talking to people at digidesign!

Thank you so much! i can finally stop stressing out about this!

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:36 pm

repeated "increase/decrease buffere size" error messages in pro tools is hell. You should totally send monster face a guitar.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:44 am

Hey no prob. I'm from Ephrata and you're from Jersey/Central PA. So...there you go.

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:38 am

i previously mentioned that AMD optimizing tool did fix things, after an afternoon of working in pro tools, i continue to get back and forth HW buffer errors, however, i can playback for about 10 min at a time before this issue comes up....

any more suggestions...... ?

additional details: ptle 6.4 with the most recent update

thanks again

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:16 pm

Okay okay. Well, from my countless hours spent at the DUC, let's try these things...

Do you have a firewire bus? What kind is it? Do you have a firewire hard drive? I see you have a USB hard drive, but have you ever tried firewire? Digi does not support USB stuff.

Have you updated your graphics card? This isn't really a graphics card error, but hey, it might work.

Are your internal hard drives getting EXTREMELY hot?

duc.digidesign.com is the place I would also post. Post here when you have figured out your problem.

Sorry the last thing didn't work. We will get this figured out.

Ian

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:20 pm

you are running a Digi 001, which means you have PTLE 6.4 or earlier. How many cores is XP seeing? PTLE 6.4 and earlier only officially support 1 CPU on Windows, so if the OS is seeing more, and you have Pro Tools trying to use more, it may not work. I tried using the Hyperthreading on mine way back when I had a Digi 001 and it would not run reliably. had to disable HT in the BIOS. I'm running 7.3 now and still run singel CPU becasue I have a few old plugins I use that don't like multi-processor. someday I will upgrade and try it again but for now its working...

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com