how do you all record cymbals on a drumset?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:55 pm

Chris (C_R_J). I'm starting on recording a new band on the 26th. If you are able, you should come up and see what's going on. Not saying my cymbal sounds are great or anything, just, you know. Gain some perspective on a few things.

I generally will mic with overheads (usually a Neumann SM69, Beyerdynamic 201s, or Royer R122's), then throw up a mono overhead (EV 635a or thanks to drumsound, a hopefully working AKG D119, I even like the EV664 and 665). Lately on certain things I have been getting in the habit of mic'ing each individually. My last satisfying combination was a couple 441's on the crash cymbals and km184's on the hats and ride.

Not saying that is a good way to do it. Just a way that works for me. Sure, I've messed with the Glyn Johns, but for me, I have not been able to handle the phasing issues that can sometimes occur with that setup. For me, I like just messing around with stuff. I had no idea the 441's would sound cool on cymbals, just thought I'd try and it worked. Doesn't mean it will on this next session. I would say just start buying or trying random mics on things and in places. You're a heck of a good drummer and since you like playing a lot, just start throwing things at the wall and see what sticks.

Listen to that Manslaughterer ep. I had all the microphones underneath the cymbals with old NT5's as overheads.

(I do not advocate throwing mics at the wall)

Ian

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:50 am

I've never had much luck with the Glyn Johns method. It's way too dependent on the drummers touch. If the drummer is awesome - I mean really AWESOME, like top 5% in their field - then it sounds great. With other drummers there are always issues.

Lately I've been using a Mid Side array for my main kit image with spot mics on each drum. I've been putting the M/S mics about 2'-3' back from the kit, towards the floor tom side of the kick looking across it towards the snare (if you position the M/S array in the center of the kick your snare will be panned right). The array is at about chest level.
I've also been using an AKG D19 as a snare overhead (ala Ringo).

I've been working on my own stuff with the same drummer for a few years now and have gone through a million different micing schemes. For his sound and style this set-up gets the best results so far.

I guess what I'm trying to say is try something else. Try anything. You never know what's going to work.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:58 am

C_R_J wrote:a light touch on cymbals? blasphemy! jk... i am playing pretty loud, and pretty bonhamish lately. sorry. i can play though. just that i hit a tad hard sometimes. i like loud drums. ;)
hit the drums hard. but, yeah, use a lighter touch on the cymbals. Like Bonham did.

Do your cymbals sound like you want them to in the room? That's the first place to start.

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

i

Post by C_R_J » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:13 am

i think i am finally having some success on getting my cymbals to sound how i like them 2. i ended up dropping my rode nt5s about a foot lower, in the front of the kit, pointing towards about a inch from the edges of the crashes. sounds great.
time is money and im wasting both...