Pro Tools question about importing session data

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

packupthekids
audio school graduate

Pro Tools question about importing session data

Post by packupthekids » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:46 pm

i recently recorded a band and put each song in its own session. i recorded all the basic tracks (drums, bass, guitars) at the same time with the same set up. now i'm mixing the project and would like to know if there is a quick way to import just the track info and not the audio files from the already mixed song to the other unmixed songs. so that i can keep those basic tracks consistent through all the songs, or atleast have a good starting point anyway. is there a quick way of doing this?

thanks

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:07 am

Jeez. I don't know. I would suggest maybe in the import section, select session data, then import the tracks that you want. Then take the audio files and move them (to a grid) to a starting point right after you just mixed.

Usually, when things like this happen though, things get out of hand.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:17 am

Make a copy of one of the songs. Name it something like template. Remove the audio from the regions list (DO NOT DELEATE!!!). Then import session data from Template to your other songs. Paste in the audio regions and get to work.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:13 am

Actually in the import session data there is a feature that lets you choose what you want to import. If you do not want the audio to come in then click on the button that says do not import playlist.
Then you can choose the paramter that you want to import.

Mike

dtrider
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dtrider » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:15 pm

audiogeek1 wrote:Actually in the import session data there is a feature that lets you choose what you want to import. If you do not want the audio to come in then click on the button that says do not import playlist.
Then you can choose the paramter that you want to import.
This depends on the version you are using right? Most of the import options are stripped in LE. You need to buy the DV toolkit to get the extra imports? Is that right?

dtrider
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dtrider » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:26 pm

okay, i found it on digi's website. With an HD rig you get all of the import session options so you can import any aspect of a track from another session and apply it to a track in the current session. That function is stripped in LE. In order to get it you need to buy the DV Toolkit 2 post production add on. $1295. Yeah right!

What I usually do when I'm not on HD and I know i'm going to be using a lot of plugins is consolidate the audio files and import all of the songs one at a time into a single session. Not the best solution probably but it seems to work.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:03 am

Really? There's no "Import Session Data" in LE? I have the Music Production Toolkit, but I thought it had that capability before I picked it up... Is it just not selectable in the File menu?

I guess the other way is to make a "Stationary Pad" if your using a Mac- in the finder highlight the file you want to use as a template- hit command-i, click the box for stationary pad. To open this you have to use the PT "Open" dialog. Then "create new session" when that dialog comes up. Then import tracks to the regions list. Definitely a few more steps than the above method.

I usually create a master template if I am going to be recording the same basic instrumentation for multiple tunes. That way I just assign is/outs headphone mixes etc just once.

Just thought of another way- You can "Save as" on one of the sessions that has everything set up as you want, create new playlists (or not) then import the audio tracks to the region list (hopefully they are named sensibly) then drag into the tracks.

Hope it helps,

Josh

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:54 pm

JdJ wrote:Really? There's no "Import Session Data" in LE?
There definitely *is* an Import Session Data function in LE. At least there is in 7.x... I use it all the time...

dtrider
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dtrider » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:52 am

wedge wrote:
JdJ wrote:Really? There's no "Import Session Data" in LE?
There definitely *is* an Import Session Data function in LE. At least there is in 7.x... I use it all the time...

Yes, but it is track only unless you buy the upgrade.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:49 am

Yes, the limitation in LE is that Import Session Data always brings in the playlists and is not as flexible. It does work. If you make the template file as a previous post suggested and remove all the regions then you can import that session data from the template and then drop the regions in to the tracks that the import creates.

Yes, DV Toolkit 2 is very expensive. Yes, it is very worth it if you can afford it. There are a lot of great features it enables. A 003 Factory console with DV Toolkit and Music Production toolkit is about $4000 and does pretty much everything HD does except TDM plugins and surround sound. HD with a Control|24 is more like around $20,000+.

Sucks to be in love with recording.

Todd Wilcox

dtrider
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dtrider » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:34 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:Yes, the limitation in LE is that Import Session Data always brings in the playlists and is not as flexible. It does work. If you make the template file as a previous post suggested and remove all the regions then you can import that session data from the template and then drop the regions in to the tracks that the import creates.

Yes, DV Toolkit 2 is very expensive. Yes, it is very worth it if you can afford it. There are a lot of great features it enables. A 003 Factory console with DV Toolkit and Music Production toolkit is about $4000 and does pretty much everything HD does except TDM plugins and surround sound. HD with a Control|24 is more like around $20,000+.

Sucks to be in love with recording.

Todd Wilcox
Yes templates are great. I don't think it is the answer to the original question. A real pain if you want to make changes across 10 sessions or something like that. Even more of a pain if you have to do it several times.

jwd
audio school graduate

Post by jwd » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:59 am

why not just save plugin settings? you can recall those in your new mix sessions. this should work unless youve got plugin moves youre trying to keep.

any other data like volume or routing should either be non-applicable in the new session or easily duplicated once youve got your plugins set.