What's the most expensive Mic you've ever dropped?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

What's the most expensive Mic you've ever dropped?

Post by the finger genius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:48 am

Doesn't have to be a mic, maybe it's your new macbook pro, or an SSL you managed to spill hot coffee into. Anything expensive, or just beloved which was (or should have been) destroyed by sheer clumsiness.

I'll start things off right. Mine was a 6000$ Sony C800G, from about 6 ft up, onto a slate floor. The most frightening (and oddly satisfying) klang I've ever heard. :shake:

Hooked it up, and voila, worked like a charm.

I hope there are some more happy stories out there as well.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:40 am

shit, Mine was just an MXL 990. I like the mics that are fatter at the top. I was going to turn this 990 in its shock mount, this mic is the same size the whole lenght, I squeezed the shock mount clip, it dropped like a rocket.

Im sure I have dropped worse, this just sticks out because it was totaly funny.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 am

I pretty sure I've dropped a TLM170 more than once. It's amazing everything you can think about while that mic is traveling to the floor.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:40 am

I dropped a famous persons 1920's martin. The back cracked right up the middle. I havent dropped anything since. There is nothing more important to do, in the studio, than be careful with the gear. There is no good reason to drop anything, or to damage something. Used properly, most of this stuff will last for a lifetime.

I still feel bad when I think about dropping that Martin... ugh. I have had to use shitty mic stands at people's studios and put up really nice mics on them, which sucks.. and come back in the morning and had a U47 "head down" on the snare drum. It was in mono OH position when I left. I had to duct tape the weight to the mic stand, and then duct tape the stand in place as a safety... it is never cool to have stuff get wrecked like that...

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:04 am

Mine's a U87 on a concrete floor . I almost shit my pants. Worked like a charm afterward, though.

I felt equally as bad when I borrowed my buddy's MIM Strat and dropped it on the same floor (strap failure). It's his favorite guitar. I guess there's parity between sentimental and monetary value...

This makes me sound like a butterfingers. These were 2 of about 5 things I've dropped in my career. Each time makes you feel like a schmuck though.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:07 am

mikeyc wrote:Each time makes you feel like a schmuck though.
Yeah, I guess the whole point in this thread is that we've all probably done it, and... no harm no foul?

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:16 am

I was once anchoring a gobo, moving blanket fabrication over a cracked open iso booth door once with a heavy cast iron weight about half the size of a cinder block. Marc Ribot then tried to open the door to squeeze in, pulling the iron anchor off the booth and into his skull. He hit the floor, bleeding quite badly. Luckily after 10 minutes rest he was fine and didn't sue me... was all my fault...

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:18 am

i dropped a U87 from about 5' up onto a carpeted concrete floor. worked fine afterwards and only had a tiny little bend in the corner of the grill.

scared the piss out of me though. it was one of my first sessions at school and the instructor usually only let people with a few sessions under their belt use the thing.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:28 am

the marc ribot story is crazy.

i don't own anything too expensive...but they've all been dropped at least once i think...i had the ksm141s taped to the wall once, about 8ft up, they lasted through the take and then both plummeted to the floor at the same time...i've knocked the 4050 over about a dozen times at least, it's still fine...

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:33 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:the marc ribot story is crazy...
ya, felt like a schmuck forever about that... never dropped a mic or come close to killing anyone else. Erased one or two things stupidly, but perhaps that is a different thread...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:38 am

i mean it woulda been one thing if it was...yunno...CC Deville. you could've just dragged him out back behind the building and left him. ribot is a national treasure though!

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:42 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i mean it woulda been one thing if it was...yunno...CC Deville. you could've just dragged him out back behind the building and left him. ribot is a national treasure though!
all quite true... thanks for the chuckle...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:56 am

mikeyc wrote:I guess there's parity between sentimental and monetary value...
band practice at my house last week... the bass vibrated the engraved champagne flute from my wedding off of a shelf and it shattered on the bar. luckily, my wife's glass survived.

they were super cheap... but, it was still a drag to lose one.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:07 am

Oktava mk012. I think it doesn't work now... :(
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:07 am

My band used to practice in our bass player's basement. One day, one of our guitarists had to take a shit, and decided he didn't want to go upstairs, so he decided to use the absolutley disgusting (had not been cleaned since my friend moved into the house, and probably for many seasons before that) bathroom in the basement. Little did we know that that bathroom had been disconnected from the sewer lines long ago, and it basically just ran out onto the floor (slow enough so that we didn't realize it until the next day.)

So basicall my friend dropped a load over all of our gear (amps, cabinets, drums, you name it, it was covered in shit.)