Holy crap this thing is awesome

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:24 am

Yeah, the difference is drastic enough that it will be interesting to see how I feel about it after acclimating to the sound. That inevitably happens over time, and sends me looking for how to maximize my then current setup. This clock is certainly one of those moves, because as I get better and better at knowing what I am looking for, I get better at figuring out what tools help me get there. Every day is a learning experience, for real. I will letcha know. I may PM you about it , Mike, If you think of it in a couple of months, email me about it.
audiogeek1 wrote:Thanks Joel,

Would love to hear more after you have had it for a while. I love the Euphonix converters and the Big Ben really brought everything in line. But I still feel sometimes like there should be more. I am mainly at 48k because I do a lot of Post and DVD work. So maybe all I am missing is just 96k. But who knows. When I saw the clock for the first time it intrigued me. So it will be nice to hear your opinion in a while after the new item "holy crap" period is over.

Thanks

Mike

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:35 am

Sounds good to me. I will do that.

Mike

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:04 am

joel hamilton wrote:Yeah, the difference is drastic enough that it will be interesting to see how I feel about it after acclimating to the sound.
so... Have you acclimated to the sound? how do you feel now?
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:01 pm

pixeltarian wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:Yeah, the difference is drastic enough that it will be interesting to see how I feel about it after acclimating to the sound.
I have acclimated. It simply sounds better. The noise coming out of my speakers doesnt hurt my head as much. ;)

I seriously love the OCXV and the 10M. I really dont want to listen to a PTHD rig without that combo hooked up anymore. Yes, it is like that. Still.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:17 pm

joel hamilton wrote:The noise coming out of my speakers doesnt hurt my head as much. ;)
Electricide wrote:psssht, $6000 in weed will do the same thing
:wink:

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
pixeltarian wrote:
I have acclimated. It simply sounds better. The noise coming out of my speakers doesnt hurt my head as much. ;)

I seriously love the OCXV and the 10M. I really dont want to listen to a PTHD rig without that combo hooked up anymore. Yes, it is like that. Still.
do you bring it with you when you go to avatar?

stock 192s and sync i/o must hurt a little bit after!

i recall only one guy bringing his own converters and his wife owned the company.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:42 am

rwc wrote: do you bring it with you when you go to avatar?

stock 192s and sync i/o must hurt a little bit after!

i recall only one guy bringing his own converters and his wife owned the company.
I wouldnt bring it with me anywhere. I mix in my own room, usually, even if i tracked basics somewhere else.
Also, until I am really leaning hard on some gain and compression and tons of send/return paths and outboard chains during the mix.. the general complexity of an in depth mix will reveal the weakest link in the chain whereas just turning on the computer and litening to some tracks will not.. at least not in such a dramatic fashion.
There are certain pieces of gear that only reveal themselves, or at least their real value and character, under specific conditions... like a microphone that sounds like any other microphone until someone yells into it, or hell tape for that matter... at optimum/reasonable recording levels, tape can sound very much the same as RADAR or a good DAW, and then the drummer really hits the snare hard and tape reveals its hidden magic: dynamically adaptive frequency response.
Or a mixing console with one channel up? doesnt sound that different when you listen to a guitar track on a trident, a neve, an SSL, whatver... but when you start to really push even that one single track, or ad lots of other tracks and add channels and outboard, you all of a sudden have a complex system that reveals lots of character (flaws? assets?) at that point. Even just patching up a 2mix comp will start to reveal the source by simply gaining up the whole mix a little bit.
When I start with a wallet size photo, and I am expected to make a billboard out of it, I will do anything I can to make the end result flattering.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:36 am

I just wanted to observe that the extensive response to Joel's thread describing a new key to digital production is totally a statement to how respected he is. This shows me everyone thinks this man does solid work. Imagine if me or some other random fellow on here was celebrating the addition to a top shelf word clock. You would get a thread with like four responses: damn, that's nice.... way to go etc.

It's interesting how we learn things from people we look up to. I definitely was ready to upgrade my converters after working with an engineer whose output I feel is much higher quality than my own.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:29 am

losthighway wrote:I just wanted to observe that the extensive response to Joel's thread describing a new key to digital production is totally a statement to how respected he is. This shows me everyone thinks this man does solid work. Imagine if me or some other random fellow on here was celebrating the addition to a top shelf word clock. You would get a thread with like four responses: damn, that's nice.... way to go etc.

It's interesting how we learn things from people we look up to. I definitely was ready to upgrade my converters after working with an engineer whose output I feel is much higher quality than my own.
This is true; I once read somewhere that Joel wears size 9 1/2 Converse sneakers. I now wear size 9 1/2 Converse sneakers exclusively, and even though it's caused my size 11 feet to develop crippling toe deformations, I feel my mixing and general credibility in the industry have dramatically increased.

(Note: the above statement is an attempt at humour and is not meant as a slight against Joel's fashion sense or people with crippling toe deformations)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:15 am

kinger wrote:
losthighway wrote:I just wanted to observe that the extensive response to Joel's thread describing a new key to digital production is totally a statement to how respected he is. This shows me everyone thinks this man does solid work. Imagine if me or some other random fellow on here was celebrating the addition to a top shelf word clock. You would get a thread with like four responses: damn, that's nice.... way to go etc.

This is true; I once read somewhere that Joel wears size 9 1/2 Converse sneakers. I now wear size 9 1/2 Converse sneakers exclusively, and even though it's caused my size 11 feet to develop crippling toe deformations, I feel my mixing and general credibility in the industry have dramatically increased.

(Note: the above statement is an attempt at humour and is not meant as a slight against Joel's fashion sense or people with crippling toe deformations)
I wear size 11 1/2 boots or shoes. I almost never wear sneakers.
I think you are thinking of Cgarges. Clearly, had you been following my career, your feet would be much more comfortable. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, though, all joking aside.

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Post by GoatKnuckles » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:39 am

i've always been curious about using an outboard clock its just not really in my budget. The digital hardware end of recording has never been a real point of interest for me, there are so many more fun things to spend my meager studio budget on, I bought a firepod and have never looked back.
GYM CLASS HEROES/LADYBIRDS INC.
for Session Work on Keyboards/Programming/Guitar/Bass

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Joel has a REAL studio. I just have big feet.

:cry:
Even with my big feet, I won't be able to hear what Joel can hear now, with his latest discovery.
My feet are big enough to be classified as quality bass traps.
14 & 1/2
Harumph!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:32 pm

Joel, I'm not a pro - would you briefly describe what a "2mix comp" is?

Thanks
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:28 pm

A compressor across the mix bus?
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:57 am

b3groover wrote:A compressor across the mix bus?
Yes.