the studio 'pretty war' - is it worth it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

themagicmanmdt
george martin

the studio 'pretty war' - is it worth it?

Post by themagicmanmdt » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Ok, so shoot me, I'm coining a new term here.

As I'm starting up my studio here in Chicago, honestly the LAST thing I want to spend money on is making the place look like a million bucks. I don't mind na nice coat of paint on the walls, but there's tons of places that I see that only sport ho-hum gear and a decent room, but put a nice floor down, new couches, nice mixing desks (not the consoles - the desks), and chairs, and all that stuff.

So, how much of it is worth it?

I mean, there's a difference between simple and basic, and then studios who look like they spent as much on gear as they did asthetics.

Do clients care that much about looks?

Here's the topic, talk amongst yourselves;

Is room 'attire' considered 'gear'?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:25 pm

From someone who has back issues, investing in good chairs is worth it.

In terms of general aesthetics, assuming the gear between two rooms was of comparable quality, I would always opt for the comfortable room over the "luxurious" one.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:37 pm

yah, comfy seating and decent lighting.

apart from that, i'm happy if the place looks like it was cleaned in the past week.

it's a place for recording music, not for doing a "finer living" photo spread.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Depends on what kind of clientle you're trying to appeal to.

Regardless of who your client base is, neat and orderly is always a plus.

As long as amps are arranged neatly, there aren't cables lying all around, garbages aren't overflowing, etc., do whatever you like as far as decoration is concerned.

A sparse, "expensive" look isn't a necessity in all studios, but some concern for pleasant surroundings and some thought put towards visual vibe is always nice.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:27 am

so far, i agree. comfy is the first thing on the list. having it 'work' and having the studio look neat is a given.

there's just this feeling that looks are selling more than sound. i'm hoping that a couple of posted audio clips will sway the naysayers the other way.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:15 am

themagicmanmdt wrote:so far, i agree. comfy is the first thing on the list. having it 'work' and having the studio look neat is a given.

there's just this feeling that looks are selling more than sound. i'm hoping that a couple of posted audio clips will sway the naysayers the other way.
you're not in Los Angeles, so stop worrying so much. :^:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:55 am

It really does depend on your target client base. Where do they record now and what amenities are provided? I'm not saying use that as your base design, just a reference point to either follow or deviate from as you develop a vision.

If you are doing corporate or industrial stuff, a full kitchen should be considered.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:57 am

You've seen my place. "Living room chic", I like to refer to it as. Not flashy, doesn't need to be, and honestly, the clients seem to like it that way. Didja happen to knock a beer over during your take? Not a big deal. Wipe it up and keep rolling. Wanna eat in the live room? Fine with me. What are you gonna hurt? Put a big black tolex scuff on the wall when you carted that Super Reverb in? It's just a wall man. Paint can fix that easy.

Build a space where your clients feel comfortable and you don't have to worry about someone "hurting" your space. Make it easy to clean and easy to work in. A simple relaxing aesthetic will may not draw everyone in instantly, but it will certainly keep people coming back once they've worked with you. Return business. You want to foster return business...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Colin F.
gettin' sounds

Post by Colin F. » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:41 am

Its been my experience that clients notice looks and "vibe" far more than they notice gear...

The rest is down to the engineer, really, making stuff sound great.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:02 am

I think you can't sacrifice gear for aesthetics, but you have to pay attention to it. The goal is for an artist/musician to feel comfortable in your space.

Our goal right now is to keep our space warm and cozy. We've found too many studios to be lathered with grays/blacks and that lends to a cold space.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:50 pm

from my experience with the milkhouse recording studio, the aesthetic appeal was HUGE.

for more demo type clients, it sealed the deal.

but for clients who were actually looking to create something substantial, they care more about gear, and our reputation.

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:15 pm

If I don't feel that a studio has a "warm" atmosphere, then it makes it difficult for me to be productive in it. When I was setting up my own space, I deliberately set aside a (very) small percentage of my budget to make it cozy.

That being said, some places definitely go waaaaay over the top. Like frickin Sly Stallone.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: the studio 'pretty war' - is it worth it?

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:16 pm

themagicmanmdt wrote:Ok, so shoot me, I'm coining a new term here.

As I'm starting up my studio here in Chicago, honestly the LAST thing I want to spend money on is making the place look like a million bucks. I don't mind na nice coat of paint on the walls, but there's tons of places that I see that only sport ho-hum gear and a decent room, but put a nice floor down, new couches, nice mixing desks (not the consoles - the desks), and chairs, and all that stuff.

So, how much of it is worth it?
Dude, if you remember, when I was there I said you should just leave the walls bare in the live room. I love the funky vibe of that place. Pastels and fake woodgrain floors and pricey couches would just kill all that.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Make the place feel good and not intimidating. Studios are kind of daunting for the less experienced band. I think my room feels like a pro room, but feels more like a cool space to hang out.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:53 pm

Unfortunately, people are "vain".... :lol: ..Just like everything else, people are attracted to what seems like "success".. That goes for low budget studio to hi end studio. You can be successful in the low budget region and clients that are shopping low budget studios, still are impressed with cosmetics, as well as sound. Especially, repeat clients. Something about " moving on up" justifies them spending their money with you!..I speak from experience here! (YMMV)